PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathf of War/Psionics Aegis build with Initiator soul, recommendations?

argol228
2020-11-13, 10:15 AM
so I am building a 7th level aegis, I basically want to play a magitech mecha pilot. I want to go with a switch hitter style leaning more towards the ranged combat, I also want cool stuff that I can fluff as gadgets and attachments. so if there is a way for me to have a fireball style AoE. I would fluff that as a barrage of micro missiles in what has been oh so lovingly dubbed as a macross missile massacre. But there are so many options in terms of disciplines and if I should go crystal aegis or meta forge

of course, as an aegis, I can just swap disciplines if I am not feeling them, but I would rather not overwhelm my GM by rotating disciplines ever few sessions

Aldrakan
2020-11-13, 12:29 PM
so I am building a 7th level aegis, I basically want to play a magitech mecha pilot. I want to go with a switch hitter style leaning more towards the ranged combat, I also want cool stuff that I can fluff as gadgets and attachments. so if there is a way for me to have a fireball style AoE. I would fluff that as a barrage of micro missiles in what has been oh so lovingly dubbed as a macross missile massacre. But there are so many options in terms of disciplines and if I should go crystal aegis or meta forge

of course, as an aegis, I can just swap disciplines if I am not feeling them, but I would rather not overwhelm my GM by rotating disciplines ever few sessions

Elemental Flux seems like the best fit, use fire or lightning a lot and it can work vey well with a tech-fluff. Its maneuvers can be used with ranged or melee weapons and a number of them are rays, lines, novas and an aoe or two. Check lance of power, arcane torrent, and enter the vortex.
Iron Tortoise is nice defensively so long as you're using a shield and is easy to characterize as raising forcefields and such.
And you have to take Sleeping Goddess, which is a rather harder to fluff when so much of it is about mind manipulation but there are a few that work.

Ramza00
2020-11-13, 12:41 PM
Aegis is great.

It also mixes well with Path of War Multiclassing and Path of War Prestige Class such as Awakened Blade.

-----

Furthermore if you mix 3rd party (since Dreamscarred Press is more or less not publishing anymore) Lost Spheres Publishing has some more options for Aegis, Path of War, and other things. The book Arcforge which is part of Lost Spheres is done by Michael Sayre and Matt Daley. Michael Sayre used to work for Dreamscarred Press and was lead designer over there doing multiple things (most famously the Akashic System.)

But yeah Arcforge (Lost Spheres Publishing) has a variant Cerbremancer called Metaforge. It has several entry options, but one of which is you can enter it with Wizard 3/Aegis 1 and then advance both your astral suit and your wizard spellcasting.

StSword
2020-11-13, 06:54 PM
Also the Radiant Dawn discipline allows one to substitute a regular ranged attack for a martial maneuver one can invest essence into with a ray of light that does base damage of 1d6 plus Initiative modifier.

And there are three feats that allow you to invest essence in non Radiant Dawn maneuvers- Sunrise, Sunset, and High Noon.

So all your ranged maneuvers could be a bunch of lasers/blasters/etc.

argol228
2020-11-13, 08:22 PM
Aegis is great.

It also mixes well with Path of War Multiclassing and Path of War Prestige Class such as Awakened Blade.

-----

Furthermore if you mix 3rd party (since Dreamscarred Press is more or less not publishing anymore) Lost Spheres Publishing has some more options for Aegis, Path of War, and other things. The book Arcforge which is part of Lost Spheres is done by Michael Sayre and Matt Daley. Michael Sayre used to work for Dreamscarred Press and was lead designer over there doing multiple things (most famously the Akashic System.)

But yeah Arcforge (Lost Spheres Publishing) has a variant Cerbremancer called Metaforge. It has several entry options, but one of which is you can enter it with Wizard 3/Aegis 1 and then advance both your astral suit and your wizard spellcasting.

speaking of metaforge, do you have an opinion on straight aegis or soul blade/soulbolt+Aegis metaforge

Ramza00
2020-11-13, 09:03 PM
Also the Radiant Dawn discipline allows one to substitute a regular ranged attack for a martial maneuver one can invest essence into with a ray of light that does base damage of 1d6 plus Initiative modifier.

And there are three feats that allow you to invest essence in non Radiant Dawn maneuvers- Sunrise, Sunset, and High Noon.

So all your ranged maneuvers could be a bunch of lasers/blasters/etc.

Interesting I read over that 1 line and did not realize what Sunset half does. That is now an interesting feat (likewise Sunrise and High Noon.)

Something interesting for HD 09 of my Gift of Time Build.