PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Items for Level 5

Chester
2020-11-13, 04:09 PM
Hello,

My players just hit level 5 at the end of a long adventure arc (Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, to be precise). I'm asking the group to make requests for an item they'd like for their characters, within reason. Requests are anywhere from a Ring of Protection to Glamoured Studded Leather.

I just wanted to see what you think is appropriate for level 5: they should get things they want, but not break the characters. Are there any items you recommend? Particular values or rarities? Anyway, here's the list of the party members and what some of them have requested; I'm not against "bumping up" some requests and toning down others if it seems to be too much.

Human Paladin: requested non-specific magic plate mail or half plate
Half Elf Bard: requested Glamoured Studded Leather (I'm not against this)
Dwarf Fighter: only asked for a ring of protection; he could do better
Halfling Ranger: asked for a bow +1
Elf Rogue (Arcane Trickster): did not request anything in particular
Dragonborn Sorcerer: did not request anything in particular

Any guidelines, specific or not, are appreciated.

Bilbron
2020-11-13, 04:26 PM
Hello,

My players just hit level 5 at the end of a long adventure arc (Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, to be precise). I'm asking the group to make requests for an item they'd like for their characters, within reason. Requests are anywhere from a Ring of Protection to Glamoured Studded Leather.

I just wanted to see what you think is appropriate for level 5: they should get things they want, but not break the characters. Are there any items you recommend? Particular values or rarities? Anyway, here's the list of the party members and what some of them have requested; I'm not against "bumping up" some requests and toning down others if it seems to be too much.

Human Paladin: requested non-specific magic plate mail or half plate
Half Elf Bard: requested Glamoured Studded Leather (I'm not against this)
Dwarf Fighter: only asked for a ring of protection; he could do better
Halfling Ranger: asked for a bow +1
Elf Rogue (Arcane Trickster): did not request anything in particular
Dragonborn Sorcerer: did not request anything in particular

Any guidelines, specific or not, are appreciated.

Ha ha, they're not very demanding! My DM couldn't finish "you can start with one uncomm..." before I'm all "WINGED BOOTS! WINGED BOOOOOOOTTTTTTS!!!!!!"

But one nut on my team took a Ring of Water Walking.

I don't think you should "bump" anyone up but instead let them know what sort of items you'd allow in terms of power level. And if even so they choose a bloody RoWW, they made their own bed.

I don't mind letting party members choose and letting them get an advantage by choosing an elite item for the rarity tier if they think about it and do their research. If you're worried about balance, just up the CR of your encounters. My last battle was at 13x the power of our own party's level, for example.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-13, 04:45 PM
Suggest you stick with Uncommon/Rare Items.

Human Paladin: requested non-specific magic plate mail or half plate Suggestion: Mithral plate or half plate. Rare. reduces disadvantage for stealth.

Half Elf Bard: requested Glamoured Studded Leather (I'm not against this) Suggest yes.

Dwarf Fighter: only asked for a ring of protection; he could do better That's not a big ask, I'd suggest yes.

Halfling Ranger: asked for a bow +1 Yeah, thematic, helps with resistant critters later for a mostly martial character.

Elf Rogue (Arcane Trickster): did not request anything in particular Cloak of Elvenkind, or Elven boots.

Dragonborn Sorcerer: did not request anything in particular Suggest a wand: web or paralysis.

Necroanswer
2020-11-13, 05:00 PM
You should probably give them an idea of what is appropriate, like +1 weapons and armor are ok, but +2 is a no go. D&D's rarity of an item is a bad indicator of balance, like the other poster's winged boots- they effectively let you cast a 3rd level spell up to 240 times a day, which seems ridiculously op for characters who are just getting their 3rd level spell slots.

I would personally go with allowing any +1 weapon or armor and give the players a few examples of miscellaneous magic items you would consider to be acceptable choices (I would include things like Immovable Rod, Boots of Elvenkind, Circlet of Blasting)

JNAProductions
2020-11-13, 05:03 PM
Human Paladin-Armor Of Order
This [HALF/FULL] Plate is imbued with the spirit of law and fairness. Up to three times, the wearer of this armor may project an Aura of Order out to 10' for one round. Anyone within this aura rolls 1d10+5 instead of d20 when making an ability check, saving throw, or attack roll. Note that attack rolls do not automatically fail or succeed on a natural 1 or 10 when rolled in this fashion. The armor regains 1d3 uses every midnight.
If they play Paladins similar to me, they can get pretty good AC. This makes them much harder to be hit, since it caps at 15 instead of 20, and some enemies might not be able to hit them at all!

Will also help once they get their Aura of Protection.

Half Elf Bard-Cloak of Magnificence
This thick, voluminous cloak acts as Studded Leather armor, but also has a host of other minor effects. The wearer of this cloak may...
-Cast Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, and Druidcraft at-will.
-As an action, cause the cloak to take the shape of any mundane clothing
-As a bonus action, unleash a dazzling display. All creatures within 10' of the wearer (including the wearer themselves) must make a DC 15 Constituion save, becoming blinded until the end of their next turn on a failed save. On a success, they are not blinded, though they cannot take reactions until the start of their next turn. This may only be done once per hour.
Studded Leather with STYLE! Get all the fun cantrips, get fashion, and get a once an hour "OH CRAP!" button.

Dwarven Fighter-A Simple Stone Ring
This plain grey ring is made of solid granite, and is deceptively heavy. While wearing it and standing upon the ground, the user may use their reaction to gain advantage on any saves against forced movement or being knocked prone, and should they fail the save, the distance moved is reduced by 5' times their proficiency bonus. Additionally, while standing on the ground, the wearer may enter a defensive stance as a bonus action. While in this stance, they automatically gain the effects of the earlier reaction ability without having to spend any actions, and further may use their reaction to gain +3 to their AC against a single attack or +3 to a single save. This stance only lasts while the wearer is planted solidly on the ground, and automatically ends if they move more than 25' in a round.
Slow and steady wins the race. A minor buff for general use, and then a much more potent buff that requires them to slow down a bit.

Halfling Range-Glimmerwood Bow
This magic shortbow is made of lively, almost sentient wood that reflects light iridescently. In addition to requiring no ammo (instead merely creating darts of lightened wood as it is drawn back), this bow is capable of creating an effect similar to Faerie Fire. Up to three times, the wielder of this bow may cause someone struck by it to glow granting advantage on attacks made against them and negating any effect causing them to be invisible. This lasts for one minute, though the affected creature leaves slightly glowing footfalls for an hour after being struck. The bow regains 1d3 uses every dawn.
Magic bow, doesn't need ammo, and a three/day single-target Faerie Fire. Also helps with tracking.

Elvish Arcane Trickster-Hand Of Glory
This single glove is made of pure white silk, and fits like a dream to anyone who tries it on. While worn, it has two effects for an Arcane Trickster using Mage Hand Legerdemain, though only while the hand is visible.
-You gain advantage on any Dexterity checks it makes
-You may use it to perform Shoves and Grapples. To do so, use an Intelligence (Athletics) check. If used for a Shove, the hand immediately vanishes after being used. If used to Grapple, it requires Concentration on a successful check.
Not much info, but doing my best.

Dragonborn Sorcerer-A Fizzing Vial
This strange vial constantly fizzes and pops, and cannot be emptied of its liquid except by drinking. If drunk, the vial remains empty for an hour, before spontaneously refilling. Someone who drinks the vial is immediately subject to a roll on the Wild Magic table. However, a Sorcerer who drinks from the vial, after the Wild Magic roll, gains significantly increased power. All their spells cast for the next minute are treated as being cast from a slot one level higher than actually used.
I have no idea what to give them. So, this!

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-13, 05:04 PM
Human Paladin-Armor Of Order
This [HALF/FULL] Plate is imbued with the spirit of law and fairness. Up to three times, the wearer of this armor may project an Aura of Order out to 10' for one round. Anyone within this aura rolls 1d10+5 instead of d20 when making an ability check, saving throw, or attack roll. Note that attack rolls do not automatically fail or succeed on a natural 1 or 10 when rolled in this fashion. The armor regains 1d3 uses every midnight.
If they play Paladins similar to me, they can get pretty good AC. This makes them much harder to be hit, since it caps at 15 instead of 20, and some enemies might not be able to hit them at all!

Will also help once they get their Aura of Protection.

Half Elf Bard-Cloak of Magnificence
This thick, voluminous cloak acts as Studded Leather armor, but also has a host of other minor effects. The wearer of this cloak may...
-Cast Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, and Druidcraft at-will.
-As an action, cause the cloak to take the shape of any mundane clothing
-As a bonus action, unleash a dazzling display. All creatures within 10' of the wearer (including the wearer themselves) must make a DC 15 Constituion save, becoming blinded until the end of their next turn on a failed save. On a success, they are not blinded, though they cannot take reactions until the start of their next turn. This may only be done once per hour.
Studded Leather with STYLE! Get all the fun cantrips, get fashion, and get a once an hour "OH CRAP!" button.

Dwarven Fighter-A Simple Stone Ring
This plain grey ring is made of solid granite, and is deceptively heavy. While wearing it and standing upon the ground, the user may use their reaction to gain advantage on any saves against forced movement or being knocked prone, and should they fail the save, the distance moved is reduced by 5' times their proficiency bonus. Additionally, while standing on the ground, the wearer may enter a defensive stance as a bonus action. While in this stance, they automatically gain the effects of the earlier reaction ability without having to spend any actions, and further may use their reaction to gain +3 to their AC against a single attack or +3 to a single save. This stance only lasts while the wearer is planted solidly on the ground, and automatically ends if they move more than 25' in a round.
Slow and steady wins the race. A minor buff for general use, and then a much more potent buff that requires them to slow down a bit.

Halfling Range-Glimmerwood Bow
This magic shortbow is made of lively, almost sentient wood that reflects light iridescently. In addition to requiring no ammo (instead merely creating darts of lightened wood as it is drawn back), this bow is capable of creating an effect similar to Faerie Fire. Up to three times, the wielder of this bow may cause someone struck by it to glow granting advantage on attacks made against them and negating any effect causing them to be invisible. This lasts for one minute, though the affected creature leaves slightly glowing footfalls for an hour after being struck. The bow regains 1d3 uses every dawn.
Magic bow, doesn't need ammo, and a three/day single-target Faerie Fire. Also helps with tracking.

Elvish Arcane Trickster-Hand Of Glory
This single glove is made of pure white silk, and fits like a dream to anyone who tries it on. While worn, it has two effects for an Arcane Trickster using Mage Hand Legerdemain, though only while the hand is visible.
-You gain advantage on any Dexterity checks it makes
-You may use it to perform Shoves and Grapples. To do so, use an Intelligence (Athletics) check. If used for a Shove, the hand immediately vanishes after being used. If used to Grapple, it requires Concentration on a successful check.
Not much info, but doing my best.

Dragonborn Sorcerer-A Fizzing Vial
This strange vial constantly fizzes and pops, and cannot be emptied of its liquid except by drinking. If drunk, the vial remains empty for an hour, before spontaneously refilling. Someone who drinks the vial is immediately subject to a roll on the Wild Magic table. However, a Sorcerer who drinks from the vial, after the Wild Magic roll, gains significantly increased power. All their spells cast for the next minute are treated as being cast from a slot one level higher than actually used.
I have no idea what to give them. So, this! Homebrew? :smallconfused:

JNAProductions
2020-11-13, 05:05 PM
Homebrew? :smallconfused:

Yes. Very much so.

Chester
2020-11-13, 05:08 PM
Suggest you stick with Uncommon/Rare Items.
Suggestion: Mithral plate or half plate. Rare. reduces disadvantage for stealth.
Suggest yes.
That's not a big ask, I'd suggest yes.
Yeah, thematic, helps with resistant critters later for a mostly martial character.
Cloak of Elvenkind, or Elven boots.
Suggest a wand: web or paralysis.

These all seem fair. Thanks!

Trafalgar
2020-11-13, 06:20 PM
I like that your players didn't ask for anything too extravagant!

I suggest making the items unique. Use this random item generator (http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php) for 5e to find a couple of weak attributes to add to a weapon, armor, or trinket.

For example: Instead of giving your Paladin boring Plate Armor +1, give them:

Heroic Plate Armor +1 of the Sun

The bearer has advantage on saving throws vs. fear.

The bearer may treat this as an additional +1 armor when in direct sunlight.

Chester
2020-11-13, 08:37 PM
I like that your players didn't ask for anything too extravagant!

I suggest making the items unique. Use this random item generator (http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php) for 5e to find a couple of weak attributes to add to a weapon, armor, or trinket.

For example: Instead of giving your Paladin boring Plate Armor +1, give them:

Heroic Plate Armor +1 of the Sun

The bearer has advantage on saving throws vs. fear.

The bearer may treat this as +1 armor when in direct sunlight.

This is a nice generator. I'm not using it for the aforementioned, but I'm going to use it.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-11-13, 10:16 PM
Without giving too much away I've got to say after playing through Curse of Strahd that one of the things I liked was the way magic items were handled. There were few items, but those that were there tended to be unique and probably beyond the power they should have been for tier 1/ 2 the way the DMG defines it. Getting them and using them tended to be memorable, and the lack of numbers of magic items tended to balance off the power. The thing we got at 3rd level was still awesome at the end of the mod (10th) Also, some items ranked rare or legendary aren't going to be game breaking at lower tiers.
So, that's the way I'm going to handle magic going forward, less (probably only 1 or 2 at a time so the whole party doesn't just get something at the same time to balance out), more powerful, and more unique with names and little quirks.

Trafalgar
2020-11-14, 07:18 AM
This is a nice generator. I'm not using it for the aforementioned, but I'm going to use it.

They did a rather good job with it. I also like it because it is very easy to take the weapon attributes and write a cool description/history for the item. Like "This Cruel Falchion of Reliance (+1) was wielded by a Lieutenant in the Dark Lord's Army who led the massacre of Samsar....