PDA

View Full Version : Ways of having the most spells ready

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-11-14, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure of what class will be best but I was just working on a level 20 build and realized what I was doing

Lore Bard 19:
4 Cantrips
22 known spells
2 Additional Magical Secrets

2 Tasha's Fey Touched

7 Instrument of the Bard Ohlam's Harp (please DM, lemme call it an Ocarina!)

So that makes 33 spells

Cleric 1 gives me:
3 more cantrips
3 spells known

36 spells

If I wanted to spam it I could take:
Magic Initiate
2 Cantrips
1 spell

For 9 cantrips
37 spells

Spell Sniper
1 Cantrip

Makes 10 Cantrips
37 Spells

I suppose I have attunement spots left so to get silly I could get a ring of spell storing:
5 Spells (1st Level)

42 spells

My Pixies from Conjure Woodland Beings can help in a pinch if there is something I don't have
2 Cantrips
9 Spells

Makes 12 Cantrips
51 Spells

Where does this end??!?!?!

Starman
2020-11-14, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure of what class will be best but I was just working on a level 20 build and realized what I was doing

Lore Bard 19:
4 Cantrips
22 known spells

2 Tasha's Fey Touched

So that makes 33 spells

Cleric 1 gives me:
3 more cantrips
3 spells known

36 spells

Magic Initiate
2 Cantrips
1 spell

For 9 cantrips
37 spells

Spell Sniper
1 Cantrip

Makes 10 Cantrips
37 Spells

I suppose I have attunement spots left so to get silly I could get a ring of spell storing:
5 Spells (1st Level)

42 spells

My Pixies from Conjure Woodland Beings can help in a pinch if there is something I don't have
2 Cantrips
9 Spells

Makes 12 Cantrips
51 Spells

Make sure you can cast Shapechange since it's a motherlode of spells. Shapechange all by itself grants access to all the creatures and their innate spellcasting.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-14, 01:40 AM
Bard 1/cleric 1 (preferably Knowledge for Arcana expertise- it's important to get it, but you can get it elsewhere)/druid 1/paladin 1/ranger 1/sorcerer 1/warlock 1/wizard 1. No need to bother with Artificer, it doesn't have any unique spells. Level up whatever class to get level 9 spell slots- preferably wizard, you'll need Int to make the Arcana checks. You don't actually need to get spellcasting on paladin and ranger, just a level in the class.
Get Mizzium Apparatus from GGtR.
You can now cast any spell from any list with an Int (Arcana) check with DC 10+ 2x spell slot used.

Yes, it is very stupid item.

Aaron Underhand
2020-11-14, 05:43 AM
I like the drow variant half elf, or Yuan-ti for useful extra spells, and 1 level of arcana cleric for a bard, possibly dropping 1 level of wizard as well for more spells and rituals. Instrument of the bards is great, but headband of intellect for the wizard spells is easier to find

ff7hero
2020-11-14, 08:42 AM
Ritual Caster (Wizard) gives you most of the best Wizard exclusives and saves you spending your Bard spells known on rituals.

I recently built a character based on having as much magic at-will as possible. Start was rocky as a VHuman DS Sorcerer with Guidance, Mold Earth, Control Flames and Shape Water cantrips, plus Shield, Absorb Elements and Bane for first level spells. I'm much better off now with my Hexblade level under my belt. Grabbed EB and Toll the Dead plus Hex and some other stuff. I plan to take the last 18 levels in Bard to grab Wish as a capstone (hopefully, I like to have a plan).

Starman
2020-11-15, 05:07 AM
Shapechange.

kazaryu
2020-11-15, 11:44 AM

Lore Bard 19:
4 Cantrips
22 known spells

2 Tasha's Fey Touched

So that makes 33 spells

Cleric 1 gives me:
3 more cantrips
3 spells known

36 spells

Magic Initiate
2 Cantrips
1 spell

For 9 cantrips
37 spells

Spell Sniper
1 Cantrip

Makes 10 Cantrips
37 Spells

5 Spells (1st Level)

42 spells

2 Cantrips
9 Spells

Makes 12 Cantrips
51 Spells

i mean, if you're just looking for pure numbers? multiclassing is the way to go. with a decent wis/int and 5 levels in each of cleric/druid/wizard thats easily like 25-30 spells ready to go at a moments notice (essentially 31+int if you max out wis). throw in 5 levels of bard for another 8 and you're at 39+int. (43+int if you go land druid) and on top of that you have 14(15 for land) cantrips. and then you can start getting into things like...ring of spell storing. most of your classes are prepared casters, which means you can put between 1 and 5 spells that you don't ordinarily have prepared into the ring. things like insrument of the bard, and/or staves can further bolster this. you're easily well ahead of what you already have. realistically you should go one lower and take 5 classes with 4 levels each (actaully, probably even one step lower than that, but thats just getting ridiculous). this would allow you to do things like tome pact warlock (extra cantrips and also EB/AB so that you can at least contribute combat as well as the martials). and divine soul sorcerer (free spells!).

of course...the obvious downside is that you only have 2nd-3rd level spells max. so you're going to function much more like a half caster than a full caster. however, if you're only expecting to funtion like a martial character, you shouldn't feel let down by not actually being a full caster, if that makes sense. its a mentality thing. and it *will* get you the ridiculous numbers.

coincidentally...im actually doing exactly this in my current campaign. granted im only lvl 3 right now, *and* there's some homebrew that the DM decided to do with character creation that massively helps out multiclass characters like this. But im very hopeful for it turning out quite fun having basically all of the useful lvl 1/2 spells always ready to go.