PDA

View Full Version : What happens when - Epic levels - you exchange ALL your levels for Blackguard?

Conradine
2020-11-14, 10:25 AM
If you have a Paladin level 21+ and you exchange all your levels for Blackguard levels, what will be your BAB and base Saves? And will you get additional Epic bonus feats?

( sorry for the bad english, I just woke up from a nap )

Biggus
2020-11-14, 10:48 AM
You can't have more than 10 nonepic Blackguard levels, so if you were a Paladin 21 you'd become a Paladin 10/ Blackguard 11.

If you have 3 or more epic Blackguard levels, yes you'll get bonus epic feats.

the_david
2020-11-14, 10:52 AM
An Epic Blackguard could do that because it's... poorly worded. Or maybe not. I think it's better to take 10 levels of Fallen Paladin, 10 levels of Blackguard and then proceed with Epic Blackguard if you want to play a Blackguard.

Biggus
2020-11-14, 11:12 AM
An Epic Blackguard could do that because it's... poorly worded.

If you look at the "fallen Paladins" section of the Blackguard entry in the DMG (not the SRD) it gives two examples of Paladins over level 11 trading in their levels for BG levels, in both cases they only get to trade in 10. You could argue that it's not specifically prohibited to trade in more than this, but the intent is crystal clear.

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-15, 09:58 PM
If you look at the "fallen Paladins" section of the Blackguard entry in the DMG (not the SRD) it gives two examples of Paladins over level 11 trading in their levels for BG levels, in both cases they only get to trade in 10. You could argue that it's not specifically prohibited to trade in more than this, but the intent is crystal clear.

I think part of the issue is that the limitation on when you can take Epic prestige classes would prevent you from trading your levels before 21st for levels of Epic Blackguard.

A level 15 Paladin, for example, isn't qualified to take Epic Blackguard, so they simply cannot trade all 15 levels of Paladin for Blackguard. By the same reasoning, a level 21 Paladin shouldn't be able to trade more than ten of his "pre 21" levels for Blackguard. Only the first ten levels of Blackguard are available to exist in level "slots" before 21st.