PDA

View Full Version : Do you lose skill ranks if you lose intelligence?

eyebreaker7
2020-11-14, 01:42 PM
Whether it's temporary or permanent lose of Int would you lose skill ranks? If so is it your choice what you lose or should you keep track of what skills you increase every level just in case something like this happens? It seems like you should lose ranks since you gain skill point bonus by a high Int.

denthor
2020-11-14, 01:49 PM
I would say yes to those that are intelligence based

Example 1 rank +4 due to intelligence of 18

Now 1 rank +3 because character only has an intelligence of 17. Still knows the skill just does not have the focus they once had.

Over all, all skills put on hold until he with the new intelligence score catches up to where he started. Then the character can gain more skills.

Darg
2020-11-14, 01:55 PM
You do not lose skill ranks. The intelligence modifier only modifies how many points you get on level up in 3.5. Even if the damage is permanent and can't be recovered it only affects the points your receive going forward. Your modifier for skill checks, bonus spell slots, DC for spells all receive modification immediately.

Elkad
2020-11-14, 04:50 PM
Doesn't change. Which is inconsistent, because hitpoints adjust for all your hit die when your constitution changes.

I've houseruled Int changes to be retroactive as well. Yes, that means you get more points for your prior levels if your Int goes up.

I do like the idea of just freezing further gains until your skillpoints are correct if your Int drops permanently though. Might steal that.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-11-14, 07:17 PM
Doesn't change. Which is inconsistent, because hitpoints adjust for all your hit die when your constitution changes.

I've houseruled Int changes to be retroactive as well. Yes, that means you get more points for your prior levels if your Int goes up.

I do like the idea of just freezing further gains until your skillpoints are correct if your Int drops permanently though. Might steal that.

It's not inconsistent. Int doesn't determine skill ranks. It determines skill points that are recieved and spent on level up and that one time expenditure of points determines skill ranks. Comparing to hit points is apples and oranges.

Elkad
2020-11-14, 08:42 PM
It's not inconsistent. Int doesn't determine skill ranks. It determines skill points that are recieved and spent on level up and that one time expenditure of points determines skill ranks. Comparing to hit points is apples and oranges.

I can follow that argument. I don't like it.
If a 17th level fighter reads an Int tome, he should get something out of it better than a couple skillpoints for his remaining levels.
Which is why I specifically houseruled the opposite.

Note, I only give it out for permanent (generally inherent) bonuses. Not headbands and potions.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-11-14, 10:23 PM
If you hit level 12 and increase your Int from 13 to 14, you don't retroactively gain more skill points for your previous eleven levels. This is RAW, PHB p58, step 6.

By that same rule, any permanent Int loss such as from ability drain will only impact the skill points you gain upon leveling up. It will not impact any skill points you gained at previous levels.

Darg
2020-11-15, 01:33 AM
I can follow that argument. I don't like it.
If a 17th level fighter reads an Int tome, he should get something out of it better than a couple skillpoints for his remaining levels.
Which is why I specifically houseruled the opposite.

Note, I only give it out for permanent (generally inherent) bonuses. Not headbands and potions.

You would be better off houseruling 2+int martials receiving 6+int skill points per level baseline. It feels so much better for the player and they can actually do stuff with skills.

Psychic Reformation is vague enough that if the DM says it's ok they could go back and get and spend those skill points. You just have to run into someone who could use it.

Elkad
2020-11-15, 06:26 PM
You would be better off houseruling 2+int martials receiving 6+int skill points per level baseline. It feels so much better for the player and they can actually do stuff with skills.

I do already. And give them more class skills. Doesn't change the fact that if they boost their int, they should get something for it.

Psychic Reformation is vague enough that if the DM says it's ok they could go back and get and spend those skill points. You just have to run into someone who could use it.

That interpretation of Psychic Reformation is one of the reasons I allow it. If the players are going to do it anyway, don't make it annoying just for the sake of being annoying.

gijoemike
2020-11-15, 09:54 PM
Since this post wasn't tagged as 3.0 or 3.5 D&D I would like to add that Pathfinder specifically calls out retroactive bonuses and penalties all ability scores. Skills points and their loss are listed. See www.d20pfsrd.com (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/)