PDA

View Full Version : Help Optimizing Tempest Cleric (OotA)

CMCC
2020-11-14, 02:48 PM
OK here we go...

Just started Out of the Abyss (3 sessions in). This is a carry over from Lost Mine, where I was the DM, so after much deliberation I've chosen my level 6 character.

The party comp:

Sorlock (sorc5/hex1): mostly blaster
Moon Druid 6
Eloquence Bard 6
Conquest Paladin 6

I went with a Vuman tempest cleric (mostly because I didn't know that the paladin was joining the game).

Stats: 14 (19 ogre gauntlets), 12, 17, 12, 18, 13

Magic Initiate Wizard: BB, GFB, Find Familiar
War Caster
(I'll likely take resCON at 8, then max wisdom)
Background: Izzet Engineer for Shocking Grasp and Elemental Weapon (which I'll likely never use over SG, but thematically it made sense for the character)

No other magic items besides the gauntlets (given to me by another character).

Since we started at level 6, DM seems to think level 17 is a good possibility. Level 17 ability for a tempest cleric sucks - especially for OotA.

The question: Where do I take this character?

I'm for sure going to level 9 for Destructive Wave and Animate Objects (izzet).

The other 8 levels are in constant flux in my mind.

If I end up going straight cleric, I'd likely switch to Arcana Cleric for that sweet level 17 ability.

I put a point into charisma to account for a possible multiclass into Hexblade (hex curse to pair with SG round one, shield, AoA), Shadow Sorcerer (darkvision is kind of important here, shield and absorb Elements), or even Paladin 2 for smites and fighting style.

I've considered 3 or more levels in Fighter. Maybe Echo Knight because of my high Con and because it's kind of awesome. Maybe the other EK if I want to just go full Thor (and get shield/absorb elements that way).

And finally, Gloomstalker seems like a potential good fit (just need +1 dex to make it work). I'd need at least 3 levels - but would prob end up going 4 for ASI and the better multiclass spell slot.

I know everyone is going to suggest going straight cleric - but some of those MCs are tempting.

Thoughts?

Waazraath
2020-11-15, 01:58 PM
OK here we go...

Just started Out of the Abyss (3 sessions in). This is a carry over from Lost Mine, where I was the DM, so after much deliberation I've chosen my level 6 character.

The party comp:

Sorlock (sorc5/hex1): mostly blaster
Moon Druid 6
Eloquence Bard 6
Conquest Paladin 6

I went with a Vuman tempest cleric (mostly because I didn't know that the paladin was joining the game).

Stats: 14 (19 ogre gauntlets), 12, 17, 12, 18, 13

Magic Initiate Wizard: BB, GFB, Find Familiar
War Caster
(I'll likely take resCON at 8, then max wisdom)
Background: Izzet Engineer for Shocking Grasp and Elemental Weapon (which I'll likely never use over SG, but thematically it made sense for the character)

No other magic items besides the gauntlets (given to me by another character).

Since we started at level 6, DM seems to think level 17 is a good possibility. Level 17 ability for a tempest cleric sucks - especially for OotA.

The question: Where do I take this character?

I'm for sure going to level 9 for Destructive Wave and Animate Objects (izzet).

The other 8 levels are in constant flux in my mind.

If I end up going straight cleric, I'd likely switch to Arcana Cleric for that sweet level 17 ability.

I put a point into charisma to account for a possible multiclass into Hexblade (hex curse to pair with SG round one, shield, AoA), Shadow Sorcerer (darkvision is kind of important here, shield and absorb Elements), or even Paladin 2 for smites and fighting style.

I've considered 3 or more levels in Fighter. Maybe Echo Knight because of my high Con and because it's kind of awesome. Maybe the other EK if I want to just go full Thor (and get shield/absorb elements that way).

And finally, Gloomstalker seems like a potential good fit (just need +1 dex to make it work). I'd need at least 3 levels - but would prob end up going 4 for ASI and the better multiclass spell slot.

I know everyone is going to suggest going straight cleric - but some of those MCs are tempting.

Thoughts?

Dunno, depends a bit on the Sorlock (spells/metamagic) and the Bard (magical secrets), but Tempest Cleric is a damn good AoE blaster. Thunderwave, but also maximized upcast shatters stay very good. I just finished the first half of OotA (as I understood it are more or less 2 parts, could be personal twist my DM gave to it though) with my tempest cleric. It's a dex based high elf who often went melee with Booming Blade / spirit guardians / spiritual weapon, and I had a blast, it was a very powerful and dependable character. Imo just grabbing a feat for that BB cantrip will make you more fightery than 3 levels of fighter imo, since it's a flat 1d8 extra damage (later 2d8, 3d8), and mabye more if you can force movement (with the combo of thunderous strike/wrath of the storm, or with the help from allies). If mixing fighter I wouldn't go for less than 5 levels for extra attack, but to be honest, it'll be less strong than single class cleric.

Darkvision is a thing - it's very good since everybody and their mothers in the underdark have 120ft. Then again; it also depends on the rest of your party. If you have chars without darkvision, you'll still be carrying around light (and be moving targets anyway), and regardless, 3 levels of ranger is far too high a price for this imo. Personally, I'd just stay single class tempest cleric, not to fall behind with high level spells known and ASI's.

CMCC
2020-11-15, 02:28 PM
This is def helpful. Is darkvision worth a single level sorcerer dip? Shadow sorcerer gives darkvision, strength of the grace, shield, absorb elements (all great for melee and defense) and 4 utility cantrips (minor illusion, mage hand etc).

My problem is if I take 1 level of sorc, I’m going to really be tempted to take 3 for metamagic.

Gignere
2020-11-15, 02:48 PM
This is def helpful. Is darkvision worth a single level sorcerer dip? Shadow sorcerer gives darkvision, strength of the grace, shield, absorb elements (all great for melee and defense) and 4 utility cantrips (minor illusion, mage hand etc).

My problem is if I take 1 level of sorc, I’m going to really be tempted to take 3 for metamagic.

If you aren’t married to tempest I would recommend you take look at the Twilight Cleric in Tasha’s, it has 300 feet darkvision. Since I’m going through OotA right now I can tell that 300 DV would be game breaking in that module.

CMCC
2020-11-15, 05:47 PM
If you aren’t married to tempest I would recommend you take look at the Twilight Cleric in Tasha’s, it has 300 feet darkvision. Since I’m going through OotA right now I can tell that 300 DV would be game breaking in that module.

Yeah this would have been a much better pick for an adventure nearly entirely in the dark haha.

Don’t have my hopes up on being allowed to switch a month in. Maybe with the new subclass rules. Who knows?

CTurbo
2020-11-16, 01:50 AM
Swap the Dex and Cha and take 5 levels of Gloom Stalker and you could actually make use of Elemental/Holy Weapon.

If you're going to dip a level of Shadow Sorcerer or Hexblade then don't take Magic Initiate. Go ahead and grab Res(Con) to start, or take a different race that DOES have darkvision like Hill Dwarf

Waazraath
2020-11-16, 03:27 AM
That 300ft darkvision subclass is just... wow. Is this for real, confirmed in the final edition? Cause that seems quite a divergence from what came before, where most player races would just give 60ft max, few exeptions (like that warlock invocation and only 3 races of which 2 have light blindness) get 120ft darkvision, and it required specific optimization (special race + 3 lvls in gloomstalker) to exceed 120ft. Just getting 300(!) ft darkvision as a subclass feature... again, wow. But hey, indeed splendid for OotA =D

Regarding multiclassing: maybe if you started out as a martial, it wouldn't hurt so much. Gloomstalker is a very decent subclass, and after hitting ranger 5, starting to pick levels in cleric immediately improves the character with added versatility and options. But the other way around... ranger 1 gives only 1 skill, ranger 2 is normally cool cause spells/hunters mark, but with only 1 attack and the concentration requirement that's not that interesting, and only ranger 3 gives some nice goodies... but at the same time, 3 levels of cleric would have given 1 or 2 higher level spells and more and higher slots to spend 'em on. For fighter more or less the same goes. Sorcerer (shadow) gives some nice features at lvl 1 and lets you keep slots - if you're going to multiclass, I think that one would be best (though personally I think single class cleric is strong on its own). Some nice new tricks (at low level stuff like shield and absorb elements - be sure to get Warcaster though), and a lot of cleric spells from lvl 2/3 are so good that you want to upcast them anyway (spiritual weapon, spirit guardians, aid). Extended deathward and aid for 16 hour non-concentration spells is really nice. Just need to consider of losing high level spell slots (and divine intervention) is worth the price.

CMCC
2020-11-16, 10:51 AM
I probably should have gone martial class first but I really wanted sprit guardians and thunderbolt strike ASAP.

I’m leaning toward a 2 level dip in sorcerer + the new metamagic feat. Gives me darkvision, a chance to get back up from 0, shield/ absorb elements for defense, 4 cantrips, all the metamagic goodies without having to take that 3rd level.

I’m really curious how destructive wave, elemental metamagic, and destructive wrath interact. If I change the second 5d6 to thunder damage do I max out 10d6 (60) with ONE use of of destructive wrath? Or does it require 2?

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 12:31 AM
Do what you will, but just get 2 levels in Divination Wizard for Portent, then, when you wake up in the morning and roll a natural 20 Portent, go knock on the door of your arch-nemesis, and cast Level 9 Witch Bolt. Use the 20 roll for an auto crit, max the damage (216), and walk away from his charred remains.

CMCC
2020-11-17, 11:16 AM
Do what you will, but just get 2 levels in Divination Wizard for Portent, then, when you wake up in the morning and roll a natural 20 Portent, go knock on the door of your arch-nemesis, and cast Level 9 Witch Bolt. Use the 20 roll for an auto crit, max the damage (216), and walk away from his charred remains.

Haha that is awesome!

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:24 AM
Haha that is awesome!

No rolls, just remains of ash. :)

Gtdead
2020-11-17, 11:49 AM
Considering that you will roll a 20 once per 10 days, isn't it just better to call for a divine intervention instead? :p . Probably not though, pesky DMs kill all the fun..

I'd probably go for a sorcerer tbh. Even in the underdark you should be able to cast a call lightning. A quickened one allows for 2 hits on the turn you cast it that you can maximize and have the potential to cleave more than one enemy. So if you are going to cast a lvl 9 spell, I think a 18d10 maximized isn't too shabby. However I haven't played the module, so if you think casting call lightning is going to be rare, scratch what I said.

CMCC
2020-11-17, 11:42 PM
Considering that you will roll a 20 once per 10 days, isn't it just better to call for a divine intervention instead? :p . Probably not though, pesky DMs kill all the fun..

I'd probably go for a sorcerer tbh. Even in the underdark you should be able to cast a call lightning. A quickened one allows for 2 hits on the turn you cast it that you can maximize and have the potential to cleave more than one enemy. So if you are going to cast a lvl 9 spell, I think a 18d10 maximized isn't too shabby. However I haven't played the module, so if you think casting call lightning is going to be rare, scratch what I said.

Asked in the other thread, but how are you maximizing a bonus action call lightning and the main action call lightning? Using both CDs?

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:50 PM
Asked in the other thread, but how are you maximizing a bonus action call lightning and the main action call lightning? Using both CDs?

I would think that would be necessary. By the way, you should check out the new Amulet of the Devout in Tasha's. I wrote about it here (though different context):
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?622280-Time-to-Errata-Tasha-s

Gtdead
2020-11-18, 02:17 AM

Yep. Answered on the other thread as well.