PDA

View Full Version : Ways to turn a Native outsider non-Native?

2020-11-14, 02:56 PM
Looking at air genasi and the fact they don't breathe, and hey, if I somehow flipped it from Outsider (Native) to Outsider (Extraplanar) then it wouldn't need to eat or sleep, either. Half-Celestials/Fiends are "normally native outsiders", which implies they can be extraplanar, too, but the LA is pretty steep, and thinking about it... Gaining the Extraplanar subtype probably doesn't actually get rid of the Native subtype. Are there any other (preferably cheaper and more explicit) ways to sever the creature's ties to this material world?

Kaleph
2020-11-14, 03:54 PM
Not sure if you're correctly referring to the extraplanar subtype, in any case a Neraph is an outsider, isn't native and has LA 0.

In addition, every native outsider gains the extraplanar subtype when it's not on its home plane.

2020-11-14, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I might not be. Rather than "gaining Extraplanar", maybe it's more in line with my goals to say "getting rid of Native"?

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-16, 09:00 PM
The native and extraplanar subtypes are not opposites. Every creature gains the extraplanar subtype when not on its home plane. For example, humans gain it whenever on any plane other than the Prime Material. Monster Manuals generally list creatures as extraplanar from the perspective assuming you encounter them on the Material Plane.

What the native subtype actually indicates is something more innately biological, a similarity to mortal creatures which most Outsiders generally lack. That's why many of the native Outsiders are beings such as the planetouched (aasimars, tieflings, et cetera), who are mixtures of mortal and planar ancestries.