PDA

View Full Version : Optimization D&D 5e PGTR Deep Dive Series: Helm of Telepathy

Bilbron
2020-11-14, 10:18 PM
The Helm of Telepathy is so powerful it can easily break a game. If you manage to get one, you are going to rule! Why? Watch on...

6:37

https://youtu.be/aK6ndOlXuL4

Starman
2020-11-15, 01:53 AM
The Helm of Telepathy definitely punches above its weight for an uncommon item. I really like the item too. If it is used by knowledgeable players, the Helm of Telepathy showcases how powerful Divination spells can be.

I am also a big fan of the Helm of Teleportation and the legendary variants of the Crystal Ball.

MaxWilson
2020-11-15, 01:59 AM
Since you're worried about availability ("it's borderline game-breaking and frankly a lot of DMs aren't even going to let you get one of these") it's worth mentioning that 10th level Artificers can make their own Helm of Telepathy via Replicate Magic Item infusion.

Obligatory Mad Scientist reference:

Doc: "Quiet, quiet. I'm gonna read your thoughts. Let's see now, you've come from a great distance?"

Marty: "Yeah, exactly."

Doc: "Don't tell me. Uh, you want me to buy a subscription to the Saturday Evening Post?"

Marty: "No."

Doc: "Not a word, not a word, not a word now. Quiet, uh, donations, you want me to make a donation to the coast guard youth auxiliary?"

Snivlem
2020-11-15, 02:02 AM
It seems you've missed a line from the detect thoughts spell. It doesn't work quite like you think it does. "Either way, the target knows that you are probing into its mind"
Apart from that, another good video.

Here's a a challenge for you for your show down series: best magical secrets for (lore) bards at each levels. I would like to see your take on that.

Bilbron
2020-11-15, 02:07 AM
It seems you've missed a line from the detect thoughts spell. It doesn't work quite like you think it does. "Either way, the target knows that you are probing into its mind"

Here's a a challenge for you for your show down series: best magical secrets for (lore) bards at each levels. I would like to see your take on that.Thanks, I definitely messed that up, good catch.

Ooh, thanks for the idea! I will put that on the list.

Starman
2020-11-15, 02:09 AM
Divination Wizards can emulate the Helm of Telepathy by putting Suggestion and Detect Thoughts in a Ring of Spell Storing. Their 6th level subclass ability facilitates this as you regrow 1st and 2nd level spells by recharging Detect Thoughts, Clairvoyance into your Ring of Spell Storing.

Bobthewizard
2020-11-15, 07:53 AM

I think you can detect surface thoughts without them knowing you are probing their mind. The part about "either way, the target knows..." comes after the clause "If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw" so the "either way" refers to passing or failing the saving throw. If you don't force the saving throw, they won't know you are probing. You can read surface thoughts without a save and therefore without the target knowing. But if you probe deeper, they get a save and know what you are doing.

Snivlem
2020-11-15, 10:04 AM
I think you can detect surface thoughts without them knowing you are probing their mind. The part about "either way, the target knows..." comes after the clause "If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw" so the "either way" refers to passing or failing the saving throw. If you don't force the saving throw, they won't know you are probing. You can read surface thoughts without a save and therefore without the target knowing. But if you probe deeper, they get a save and know what you are doing.

Yes, you are right, i should have specified it in my post.

Corran
2020-11-15, 10:42 AM
You don't need to cast detect thoughts to know what
https://i.imgur.com/kcy7T52.jpgI've got to get me one of those.

This item has the detective theme written all over it (and it's giving you some of the best parts of a goolock 1/ sorcerer 3 for the social pillar). I'd probably want to combine it with the disguise self spell, cause tailing someone in a crowded area from only 30 feet away (while reading their surface thoughts at the same) could be problematic, especially since the item is so conspicuous. And definitely a good stealth score too, for when you are stalking someone and need to remain within 30 feet. Hmm, I was thinking rogue already, but while my initial thoughts were on the inquisitive subclass, I am now thinking thief for the increased speed while using stealth without disadvantage. Yeah, probably on a thief, with disguise self from somewhere. Could be a bad idea to hand one of these if there's a subtle sorcerer or a goolock in the party.

Unoriginal
2020-11-15, 10:49 AM

This item has the detective theme written all over it (and it's giving you some of the best parts of a goolock 1/ sorcerer 3 for the social pillar). I'd probably want to combine it with the disguise self spell, cause tailing someone in a crowded area from only 30 feet away (while reading their surface thoughts at the same) could be problematic, especially since the item is so conspicuous. And definitely a good stealth score too, for when you are stalking someone and need to remain within 30 feet. Hmm, I was thinking rogue already, but while my initial thoughts were on the inquisitive subclass, I am now thinking thief for the increased speed while using stealth without disadvantage. Yeah, probably on a thief, with disguise self from somewhere. Could be a bad idea to hand one of these if there's a subtle sorcerer or a goolock in the party.

Well, the item's appearance makes you look more like a C-list supervillain than as a detective, that's for sure:

https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/thumbnails/7/249/1000/1000/636284739464427618.jpeg

"Fear the power of Mister Mind!"

Corran
2020-11-15, 10:57 AM
Well, the item's appearance makes you look more like a C-list supervillain than as a detective, that's for sure:

https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/thumbnails/7/249/1000/1000/636284739464427618.jpeg

"Fear the power of Mister Mind!"
If a pc was wearing this helmet, do you think it would be more likely or less likely for a mind flayer to want to eat their brains?

Unoriginal
2020-11-15, 12:50 PM
If a pc was wearing this helmet, do you think it would be more likely or less likely for a mind flayer to want to eat their brains?

Well Mind Flayers like brains who have that kind of telepathic/memory searching experience, so probably more likely.

Also the Mind Flayers would likely enjoy having the Helm itself.

Bilbron
2020-11-15, 12:55 PM

One nice thing about having levels of Trickster Cleric is that I always have Disguise Self on my Domain list, so I don't have to waste a prep and it's always there when I need it. Very handy. Got Stealth from Criminal background, and can fly, which helps. Thieves tool proficiency plus Knock on scrolls, Tiny Servants with Climb speed to aid in pursuit, Blessing of Trickster to put my familiar's Stealth at advantage, yadda yadda. Basically taking on both the wizard and rogue roles for my all-Cleric party.

MaxWilson
2020-11-15, 05:55 PM
Also the Mind Flayers would likely enjoy having the Helm itself.

But why? Mind Flayers can already cast Detect Thoughts at will with no components, and Dominate Monster 1/day. The helm is just an inferior version of what they can already do, except that Suggestion can last 8 hours and Dominate Monster is only 1 hour.

Or is this about the aesthetics of a C-list villain helmet?