PDA

View Full Version : Perma-Hasted Monster?

2020-11-15, 12:36 AM
I can't find it and I'm sure it exists and I feel like I'm losing my mind. I vaguely recall a monster that's under a permanent haste effect as a special ability. Not spellcasting or SLAs, just ongoing as part of their existence. I think it was humanoid-shaped, but not necessarily Humanoid?

Does anybody know where this thing is, is it maybe a PF, or did I imagine it entirely?

Doctor Despair
2020-11-15, 12:40 AM
The Zern has the option to permanently have +30 to land speed, which is kind of similar to haste?

Rebel7284
2020-11-15, 01:31 AM
Monster of Legend has Haste(Su) that it can select and can be applied to humanoid creatures.

I am sure there are others.

Crake
2020-11-15, 01:37 AM
Are you thinking of chokers? They have an Su ability called "Quickness" which grants them an extra standard action each round.

2020-11-15, 01:50 AM
Monster of Legend has Haste(Su) that it can select and can be applied to humanoid creatures.

I think that must be it, although the other answers are also quite useful. Thanks y'all! :smallsmile:

sreservoir
2020-11-15, 01:57 AM
Are you thinking of chokers? They have an Su ability called "Quickness" which grants them an extra standard action each round.

In 3e, the choker had the literal Haste (Su) special attack. The 3.5e Quickness (Su) special quality is essentially the same thing but renamed because the haste spell now functions differently.

Remuko
2020-11-15, 05:43 AM
Mythril Golems have Alacrity which is also a haste-like effect thats permanently on.

noob
2020-11-15, 07:31 AM
I believe formian queens gets an extra action per turn and chronotryns gets two fullround worth of actions per turn.

mabriss lethe
2020-11-15, 11:50 AM
Tangent: dyslexia strikes again. I read the title as Perma-Hamstered Mace.

ShurikVch
2020-11-15, 11:54 AM
Gambol (Monster Manual II)

Demonically Fused Elemental template (Dragon Compendium)

As unique example, Maralee the advanced Kyuss knight (Dungeon #135)

If 3rd-party is OK, then:
Cave Troll (Tome Of Horrors)
Gremlin (Fang and Fury: A Guidebook to Vampires)
Aberrant template (Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition) - with Haste SQ

MinimanMidget
2020-11-15, 05:30 PM
Your description really sounds like a quickling, which is a classic D&D monster that (as far as I'm aware) never got 3rd edition stats. It's a tiny, permanently-hasted fey.

Ruethgar
2020-11-15, 05:33 PM
Just because they haven’t been mentioned yet, Dvati get a full set of actions for each body, which is sort of haste-like for a ‘single’ character to have.

Thurbane
2020-11-15, 06:09 PM

Just FYI, Monster of Legend can be applied to animals, magical beats or monstrous humanoids only.

I found this out much to my chagrin when I entered VC XXIII (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=22425409&postcount=61) - I mistook Dvati for monstrous humanoids, but they are, in fact humanoids, and not legal for the template.