PDA

View Full Version : Boss for thanksgiving one-shot

Redhood101
2020-11-16, 03:07 PM
I'm designing a dnd one-shot that is Thanksgiving themed. The set up is the players are attending a festival where all the guests are turned into turkeys by a group of goblins who plan to cook and eat them so they can build a goblin nation easier. (The guests will be old high-level PCs) The idea is that the group will figure out what happened, track down the goblins to their lair, deal with them somehow, and reverse the curse. (This group tends to make friends with tiny cute monsters)
I've been trying to think of a cool boss monster to use. A giant turkey feels like too much turkey (seeing how the guests become turkeys).

Three ideas I had was perhaps the goblins got their power from a sloth demon. A giant glutinous creature that eats everything can get its hands on and promises the goblins all their desires if they give him a good meal. The second idea is a large crab that has a cornucopia as a shell. The third idea is to learn how to make tiny squishy goblins use tactics and have them brutally attack the players.

If anyone has comments or thoughts on these ideas or any of their own, I would appreciate the help. I'm thinking of having the players be level 4, but the twist is when the old PCs become turkeys, their gear doesn't change, so the low-level party would have an arsenal of eleven level 12 characters.

Thanks

Unoriginal
2020-11-16, 03:17 PM
I'm designing a dnd one-shot that is Thanksgiving themed. The set up is the players are attending a festival where all the guests are turned into turkeys by a group of goblins who plan to cook and eat them so they can build a goblin nation easier. (The guests will be old high-level PCs) The idea is that the group will figure out what happened, track down the goblins to their lair, deal with them somehow, and reverse the curse. (This group tends to make friends with tiny cute monsters)
I've been trying to think of a cool boss monster to use. A giant turkey feels like too much turkey (seeing how the guests become turkeys).

Three ideas I had was perhaps the goblins got their power from a sloth demon. A giant glutinous creature that eats everything can get its hands on and promises the goblins all their desires if they give him a good meal.

You could use an avatar of Laogzed, the lizard-toad Demon who is also the god of the Troglodytes, who is known for his sloth and gluttony.

FabulousFizban
2020-11-16, 08:32 PM
Turkey Revenant, come to punich those who wronged it.

Wuzza
2020-11-17, 02:56 PM
A pumped up Ogre chef using one of the giant type stats. (or multiples of, havent really looked at the CR/stat ratings)
Loads (and I mean loads) of goblins chasing the turkeys around.
Party can use Red Dragon Wyrmling stats, change breath weapon for cluck attack. Cluck make scares the goblins for a round.
Tweak to above to allow use of magic items.

jojosskul
2020-11-17, 03:48 PM
All of the goblins are possesed by the ghosts of the people who used to live in the town before the current inhabitants ancestors tricked them all with gifts at feast featuring turkey that carried a horrible plague that wiped out the whole town so the new residents could move in. This may have happened hundreds of years ago, one generation ago, or been done by the current inhabitants.

The boss could, in this case, be an incredibly powerful necromancer/warlock descendent of some of the few people who survived from the original village, enacting his/her revenge.

Spriteless
2020-11-17, 05:45 PM
No giant turkey? Man I was gonna suggest an Utah-raptor with brown plumage but never mind.

I do suggest some ooze or terrain trap, dark purply-read pillars of semi-transparent slime which smells sweet and tart at the same time. It engulfs and deals damabe, but it doesn't move. (Start with stats of gelatinous cube.) The goblins try to push characters into them, but if they fail they disengage (as a bonus action).

Neat boss name might be Tropotin, after the pseudo-science chemical that causes 'turkey coma.' Give it a power that puts a level of exhaustion on victims who fail the save.

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-11-17, 10:52 PM
Turkey obsessed goblins built a giant turkey machine which they pilot like a crappy wooden mech suit. You can make them dressed as different color pilgrim outfits like the power rangers