PDA

View Full Version : Is the Master of Undeath Warlock balanced?

Cikomyr2
2020-11-16, 03:53 PM
So I discovered this subclass while researching options for a Warlock Necromancer:

Master of Undeath (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LSsloXOv8CJe8T0oJ2j)

And I just wanted to know if you think there's something inherently broken about it. I like the fact that its minions aren't dependant on the warlock's ability to cast "Animate Dead", otherwise it might have been broken. Having a Proficiency bonus-related cap to minions is cooler.

Rentirith
2020-11-16, 04:17 PM
I'm a bit worried over the fact that the warlock can always have it's servants at max capacity essentially; get done with a battle against cultists? Boom, you are refilled even without spell slots. That can be pretty powerful at lower levels, but once you get past tier 2 (if you think your campaign gets that far) your minions won't be able to survive far into combat by themselves.

Other than that, the warlock doesn't have much going for it in terms of subclass support; it gets toll the dead with a bit more oomf and a small fear effect, and it gets resistance to necrotic damage and ribbons, and then gets a bigger pet as its capstone that, admittedly, is pretty good.

Overall it seems a bit lackluster to me. If your dm approves of it I don't see anything wrong with it, but I would take a look at the tashas options before locking in your choice; there is an invocation that lets you cast animate dead 1/long rest as a 3rd level spell (i think thats how it reads) and warlocks get summon undead spirit, meaning that you can have a more impactful pet most of the time.

Cikomyr2
2020-11-16, 08:23 PM
I'm a bit worried over the fact that the warlock can always have it's servants at max capacity essentially; get done with a battle against cultists? Boom, you are refilled even without spell slots. That can be pretty powerful at lower levels, but once you get past tier 2 (if you think your campaign gets that far) your minions won't be able to survive far into combat by themselves.

Other than that, the warlock doesn't have much going for it in terms of subclass support; it gets toll the dead with a bit more oomf and a small fear effect, and it gets resistance to necrotic damage and ribbons, and then gets a bigger pet as its capstone that, admittedly, is pretty good.

Overall it seems a bit lackluster to me. If your dm approves of it I don't see anything wrong with it, but I would take a look at the tashas options before locking in your choice; there is an invocation that lets you cast animate dead 1/long rest as a 3rd level spell (i think thats how it reads) and warlocks get summon undead spirit, meaning that you can have a more impactful pet most of the time.

Thank you very much!