PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spell that makes you near-invulnerable, then kills you

Biggus
2020-11-16, 05:35 PM
I remember seeing a high-level (possibly epic) spell which gives you huge damage reduction, SR, save bonuses etc for a short period (I think one round per level) then kills you at the end. I thought it was first party but I might be wrong. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ruethgar
2020-11-16, 06:03 PM
I mean, it’s not 3.5 but presumably with Teleport Through Time you could learn Karsus' Avatar to mantle Mystra. It would almost certainly kill you, but in the mean time you would be super powerful, even if it meant the death of all magic.

One Step Two
2020-11-16, 06:10 PM
9th Level Wu Jen Spell, Transcend Mortality from Complete Mage.

DR 30/Epic, SR 21+CL, Resist 50 for All Energy types, +10 to all saves, a host of different immunities, including needing to eat breathe, or sleep

1/Round per level, then you die afterwards.

Edit: You turn into a pile of ash specifically, you need a Resurrection or better to bring you back.

Darg
2020-11-16, 06:35 PM
Edit: You turn into a pile of ash specifically, you need a Resurrection or better to bring you back.

That's why you take a level of archmage to turn it into an SLA and abuse your Body Outside Body Clones.

One Step Two
2020-11-16, 06:41 PM
That's why you take a level of archmage to turn it into an SLA and abuse your Body Outside Body Clones.

I prefer to use Magic Jar myself, you can ash someone else's body, and return to yours without any cost.

Biggus
2020-11-16, 07:04 PM
9th Level Wu Jen Spell, Transcend Mortality from Complete Mage.

DR 30/Epic, SR 21+CL, Resist 50 for All Energy types, +10 to all saves, a host of different immunities, including needing to eat breathe, or sleep

1/Round per level, then you die afterwards.

That's the one, thank you!

Anthrowhale
2020-11-16, 07:32 PM
If you can get ahold of it, Pact of Return (cleric list) is a good complement to Transcend Mortality. That spell also makes Exalted Fury potentially useful.

One Step Two
2020-11-16, 08:22 PM
If you can get ahold of it, Pact of Return (cleric list) is a good complement to Transcend Mortality. That spell also makes Exalted Fury potentially useful.

I like that combo. The condition for your pact of return is "If I am killed by my own spells effects" Which categorically covers Transcend Mortality and Exalted Fury, and you can even self-target spells like Meteor Swarm, or Flame Strike, knowing you'll be back thanks to the Pact.

Venger
2020-11-16, 08:36 PM
What's really funny is casting it on your enemies (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?600206-Optimization-Showcase-in-the-Playground-The-White-Elephant)

Xervous
2020-11-17, 02:16 PM
Jade Phoenix mage also says hi, what with its ability to discorporate and reform to bypass the death.