PDA

View Full Version : Help with Synonyms

Maat Mons
2020-11-16, 06:23 PM
I've got this homebrew stat system.

https://images2.imgbox.com/ce/b0/Bc8rsqOz_o.png

The stats are in two groups, and I want different names for each group. Please help me decide on names.

My brainstorming so far:

Ability
Advantage
Aptitude
Gift
Knack
Merit
Quality
Quirk
Talent
Trait

Maat Mons
2020-11-17, 04:54 PM
It occurs to me that it may not be clear what I'm asking for.

Let's say, in the rules, I'm planning to write something like, "Every character has 7 [thingamabobbers]. [Thingamabobbers] are divided into 2 groups. The first group is [whosamawhatsists], which consits of Brawn, Arcana, Nimbleness, and Guile. The socond group is [whatsamawhosits], which consists of Preventive, Ordinary, and Weaponized. Every roll adds one [whosamawhatsit] to one [whatsamawhosit]."

What words should I use instead of [thingamabobbers], [whosamawhatsits], and [whatsmawhosits]?

Devils_Advocate
2020-11-19, 10:19 PM
"Aptitude" seems good-ish for BANG. I thought of "Specialty" but I doubt that that's better. Something like "Approach" or "Philosophy" for POW, maybe?

Ideally whatever terms you wind up using will communicate the difference between the two clearly enough that players won't confuse them. Like, ideally you want words that map intuitively to the different types of stat, but at a minimum you want the difference in meaning or connotation between the words to correspond to the difference between the types of stat. I assume that that's the primary goal here.

sandmote
2020-11-22, 07:20 PM
Ability Score for all seven, Purpose for "Pow!" and Method for "Bang!," maybe?

Although to be honest, I'd drop [thingamabobbers].

"Every character has a particular aptitude for a given [task]. Each Task consists of two parts. The first part is [the method], which is either Brawn, Arcana, Nimbleness, or Guile. The second part is [Purpose], which consist of Preventive, Ordinary, and Weaponized. Every roll adds one [method] to one [purpose] based on what sort of action is used to complete [the task] and the general purpose of the [task] in question.

Also, I would personally have used "Acuity," for the 'A,' although I suppose that depends on how common magic is in your system.

Devils_Advocate
2020-11-22, 08:55 PM
Purpose for "Pow!" and Method for "Bang!," maybe?
Each POW is a type of purpose, but not a specific purpose. I feel like "Purpose" is definitely on the right track, but not quite right.

Calling a BANG a "Method" kind of implies that you could choose between them for the same task, which probably at least generally isn't the case. I don't think that the distinction between stat groups can accurately be described as one covering what one does and the other how one does it.

... You could just call them "POWs" and "BANGs" if we can't come up with anything appropriately descriptive.

Also, I would personally have used "Acuity," for the 'A,' although I suppose that depends on how common magic is in your system.
It looks like "Guile" is meant to cover general mental acuity, although it has more specific connotations. Anyway, better to have one magic stat than to have characters cast the same spells using different stats like in D&D, I say. Different stats should do different things! Strength, Agility, Smarts, and Magic seems like a good division to me, too.

I assume that magical ability is important enough to warrant having a stat dedicated to it, just given that it does. I'm not familiar with Maat Mons, but I hardly think that that's giving too much credit.

sandmote
2020-11-22, 10:34 PM
Perhaps "Skillset," is clearer than Method," and "Intent" works better than "Purpose." Using these terms and cleaning up my previous wording:

"Every character gains a particular bonus to their roll for a given [task]. The bonus for each [task] consists of two parts. The first part is the [skillset], which are Brawn, Arcana, Nimbleness, and Guile. The second part is , which consist of Preventive, Ordinary, and Weaponized. Every roll adds one [skillset] to one [intent] based on what sort of action is used to complete [the task] and the general purpose of [the task] in question."

I don't think that the distinction between stat groups can accurately be described as one covering [I]what one does and the other how one does it. I was thinking one covers how you go about doing something and the other covers what you are trying to accomplish.

It looks like "Guile" is meant to cover general mental acuity, although it has more specific connotations. Anyway, better to have one magic stat than to have characters cast the same spells using different stats like in D&D, I say. Different stats should do different things! Strength, Agility, Smarts, and Magic seems like a good division to me, too. If magic is meant to used a part of the abilities by virtually everyone, a magic stat makes sense. If magic is meant to be the main tool of multiple character types, using different "magic" stats that also have other functions helps the magicians differentiate themselves when they aren't using magic. If there really isn't going to be many magic users, a magic stat makes sense again to keep the mechanic simple. If magic is very minor putting in the work to write out a separate stat for it isn't helpful.

Although I assumed writing out the above was unneeded. My actual concern is that a "smarts," score makes about as much sense as a "physicality score." There are cases where one or the other is the best option to use, but I do not consider such cases very common. Particularly given that physical weapons appear to be based on two different stats, damage dealing magic would need to be balanced very carefully given it is a single stat.

Itomon
2020-11-24, 06:24 AM
Maybe fun names for these would be:

Bang = Skill
Pow = Will

It's fun because they rhyme, but they also are good names for each group's worth IMO

And if you still need a name for all seven together, I'd call them "attributes" just for the sake of being familiar with other gaming systems

Maat Mons
2020-12-09, 01:38 AM
Oh wow. Sorry for taking a week to respond to my own thread guys. ... And I left the document I was writing this in sitting open for a week, so now it's been two weeks.

So, even sorrier. The end of the semester's been a little rough for me.

The intelligibility of the stat names may have suffered a bit from my zeal to create catchy acronyms.

Before I embarked on my quest for onomatopoeia acronyms, the first group of stats was Strength, Finesse, Wits, and Magic and the second group was Offense, Defense, and Utility.

I really feel like I should give more detailed responses to the input I've gotten here. But I kind of also feel like my brain is liquifying and oozing out my ears. Maybe in another couple of weeks?

But big thanks to everyone who's taken the time to respond!