PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer class

Chaos
2007-11-04, 09:48 AM
Inspired by Jones and Rodriguez, I have been thinking about putting together a Lawyer class. I´m not there yet, I don´t even know yet whether to make it a base or prestige class, but I´d like to present what I have so far, and ask for comments.

Hitpoints: 1d4 plus Con modifier per level if base class. 1d6+Con if prestige class
Saves: low Fort, low Ref, high Will
Skill Points: 6+Int modifier per level.

Alignment: any lawful

Feats:

Estoppel

Once per day per full 3 Lawyer class levels, the Lawyer can delay the effects of one specific attack, spell, item or ability for 24 hours. The effects can be negated (i.e. damage can be healed) during these 24 hours, in which case they do not come into effect when the 24 hours are over. If the effect has a specific duration, this duration only starts when the effect starts, i.e. after the 24 hours have passed. It is possible to use this feat again after 24 hours, effectively delaying the effect indefinitely day after day.
Estoppel must be declared at the immediately after the attack, spell etc was used. Declaring Estoppel is a free action.
This feat cannot be used against a Lawful outsider with more levels/hit dice than the Lawyer.

Cease and Desist Order

Once per day, plus once per day per Int ability score bonus, the Lawyer can issue a Cease and Desist Order; this Order covers one magical, supernatural or extraordinary ability (except for spellcasting) of one particular target. For the duration of the Cease and Desist Order, the target cannot use the affected ability.
Issuing a Cease and Desist Order is a full round action.
The Cease and Desist Order lasts for 1 day per Lawyer class level, or until ended by a Lawyer of the same or a higher level.
This feat cannot be used against a Lawful outsider with more levels/hit dice than the Lawyer.

Restraining Order

This feat works like an evil cleric´s ability to rebuke undead, with the following exceptions:

- it only affects any kind of Chaotic creatures or characters
- it is not possible to command any creature with this ability
- this ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 plus the Lawyer´s Int ability modifier
- the Lawyer uses his Int modifier instead of the Charisma modifier for all checks related to the Restraining Order

Writ of Habeas Corpus

This feat allows a Lawyer to resist the feats of another Lawyer. It is a free action and can be used any number of times per day, but can only be used once against each instance of use of any ability.
When a Lawyer invokes the Writ of Habeas Corpus against another Lawyer´s ability, both Lawyers roll 1d20+their Lawyer class levels. If the Lawyer invoking the Writ of Habeas Corpus wins, the opposing Lawyer´s ability does not take effect; otherwise, it takes full effect.
An ability negated by Writ of Habeas Corpus counts as used; the same Lawyer cannot try to use the same ability on the same target again for a number of days equal to the Lawyer class level plus the Int modifier of Lawyer invoking Writ of Habeas Corpus.

AstralFire
2007-11-04, 11:25 AM
THE BARRISTER
OBJECTION! ...I... find that... objectionable.
- Miles Edgeworth

The pen is mightier than the sword, and a court order immediately demanding that Mordenkainen cease to fabricate both is mightier still. Some use these powers over words for good, others for evil, and others... simply to make a profit.

Hit Dice: d6

REQUIREMENTS
In order to become a Barrister, a character must fulfill all of the following prerequisites:
Alignment: Any non-chaotic.
Feats: Skill Focus (Sense Motive, Diplomacy
Skills: Knowledge (History) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Local) 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks, Intimidate 2 ranks.
Special: The character must have been formally recognized as a lawyer by a court of law, either through an executive order or by passing any necessary exams.

Class Skills
The barrister’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Cha), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Lie Detector, Probe for the Truth!

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Metaphysical Bureaucracy 1/day

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Cease and Desist, Badger the Witness

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Restraining Order, Metaphysical Bureaucracy 2/day

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|The Miracle Never Happen[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the barrister prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Barristers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Lie Detector: Barristers gain a +2 competence bonus to their Sense Motive check for every class level. It is essential that you understand the opposing counsel's tricks and wiles, as well as outwit lying witnesses.

Probe for the Truth! (Ex): A Barrister who successfully beats an opponent's Bluff with his Sense Motive may immediately apply half of his Lie Detector bonus into an Intimidate check against the same target. This bonus is lost if it is not applied within one minute of the Barrister beating his opponent's Bluff result.

Metaphysical Bureaucracy (Su): Starting at second level, once per day, the Barrister can argue with the laws of the universe so successfully that he may prevent more complicated effects from occurring. As an immediate action, the Barrister can immediately delay the effects of one spell, supernatural maneuver, power, spell-like ability, psi-like ability, or supernatural ability from one creature within sight range as though it had never happened, although the caster still expends any resources he used to do the action. The Barrister must use this ability before he knows the results of the spell.

A delayed spell is halted longer the more complicated that it is; for every spell level or effective spell level of the delayed effect, it requires 1d3 hours to go through the celestial paperwork as the gods doublecheck that all of the equations are in order. After sufficient time has passed, however, the ability immediately takes effect.

At 4th level, the Barrister is able to tie up metaphysics in paperwork twice a day.

Cease and Desist (Sp): At third level, the Barrister can put a severe temporary injunction in place. After witnessing a spell, power, maneuver, supernatural, spell-like, psi-like, or extraordinary ability, the Barrister can attempt to invoke the celestial bureaucracy to prevent that creature from using that ability again for the next hour. As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the Barrister attempts to channel a being of Law into his body who can put a stop to this; while he succeeds in channeling the being with a DC 25 Diplomacy Check, the target still gets a Will Save of (10+Class Level+Charisma Bonus) to resist injunction.

Badger the Witness (Ex): Your rapid wordplay confuses and infuriates the target into doing things that they would never otherwise do. At third level, if you succeed with both a Bluff and Intimidate check against the same target in consecutive rounds, you may immediately make a suggestion, as the spell, with some important differences. The save against your suggestion is (10+Class Level+Charisma Bonus), the duration is only 1 minute, and obviously harmful orders can be carried out at a +2 on the save so long as they are not actually suicidal. (You can trick someone into revealing their cunning plan; you cannot badger them into drinking cyanide unless they are incredibly stupid.)

Restraining Order (Su): At fourth level, you gain the ability to issue a severe injunctive order against one creature who has harmed you in the last 24 hours. By speaking with the Celestial Bureaucracy over the course of an hour, you effectively gain the ability to manifest the power Aversion (with you as the subject of the aversion) once a day, with some important differences. The save against your power is (10+Class Level+Charisma Bonus), the duration is one day, and you target one creature and any allies he has.

The Miracle Never Happen (Su): I have no idea. I wanted to throw in a reference to Phoenix Drive.

SilveryCord
2007-11-04, 03:16 PM
I love the Lawyer class. I am so playing one the next time I create a new character.

I think you should take away the 'lawful' requirement, though. Yes, a lawyer needs structure to remember and use laws and regulations, but I've seen enough television dramas to know that even the best have to circumvent the system every once and a while ;)

TheLogman
2007-11-04, 03:21 PM
But that's just it, in the Television, the Lawyers may cheat a little, but in the real world, lawyers are strict, and by the books most the time. Sure, lawyers do some unsavory things, but it is always within the confines of the system. Heck, they have the word LAW in their name.

Xefas
2007-11-04, 04:00 PM
And here I thought Lawyers had no class. Bu-dum-psh

I'm sort of confused as to what Estoppel does. For instance, if your teammate casts a Resurrection on you, could you use Estoppel on it, so that 24 hours later, you're immediately raised from the dead (if you've been killed, that is).

And could you Estoppel your own Overland Flight one day, so that the next you'd be hit by it, thus saving a spell slot?

Chaos
2007-11-05, 03:19 PM
And here I thought Lawyers had no class. Bu-dum-psh

I'm sort of confused as to what Estoppel does. For instance, if your teammate casts a Resurrection on you, could you use Estoppel on it, so that 24 hours later, you're immediately raised from the dead (if you've been killed, that is).

And could you Estoppel your own Overland Flight one day, so that the next you'd be hit by it, thus saving a spell slot?

These are actually pretty good ideas. Exactly the kind of not-quite-the-letter-of-the-law-but not illegal-either tricks that we expect a well-paid legal professional to come up with.

I had thought of Estoppel as a defense measure mostly. So, if a bad guy hits a team member with something nasty (such as a spell or attack that would kill the team mate), the Lawyer uses Estoppel to temporarily suspend the effect, until it can be negated (such as, the spell is disspelled, or the damage healed).

Xefas
2007-11-05, 03:41 PM
These are actually pretty good ideas. Exactly the kind of not-quite-the-letter-of-the-law-but not illegal-either tricks that we expect a well-paid legal professional to come up with.

I had thought of Estoppel as a defense measure mostly. So, if a bad guy hits a team member with something nasty (such as a spell or attack that would kill the team mate), the Lawyer uses Estoppel to temporarily suspend the effect, until it can be negated (such as, the spell is disspelled, or the damage healed).

That's what I figured it was for, but I just wanted to see the extent of what you could do. Adds lots of versatility to the class, if you ask me. Not to mention opening it up for lots of creativity.

One suggestion I have is to add that the Cease and Desist Order can also be used to keep a caster from using a specific spell. For instance, you could have a BBEG Lawyer issue an Order upon the party cleric that keeps him from using Heal for the duration. Or maybe keep them from using Restoration right before hitting them with ability damage. Heck, if you make it a base class, imagine telling the cleric "You can't use Raise dead for 11 days", since the BBEG is level 11, at the very beginning of the fight. Since the cleric is only level 9, he can only raise people who have been dead less than 9 days, so if anyone dies, they have no get-out-of-death free card...makes things a lot more threatening.

AstralFire
2007-11-05, 05:11 PM

I don't think it really makes sense within D&D's metaphysics to allow for an effect that hasn't kicked in to be healed or dispelled off of you. Just my two cents, which is why I didn't put it in that way in my random attempt to make your idea into a class.

Chaos
2007-11-06, 12:05 PM
I don't think it really makes sense within D&D's metaphysics to allow for an effect that hasn't kicked in to be healed or dispelled off of you. Just my two cents, which is why I didn't put it in that way in my random attempt to make your idea into a class.

The effect is there, it´s just in "suspended animation", so you can remove it. Much like, if I understand the rules correctly, you could dispel Exploding Runes if you notice them without reading them and setting them off.

@Xefas:

Maybe a specific spell would be too specific. Cease and Desist must be used before the targetted ability or spell or whatever is actually used, not as a reaction like Estoppel. You wouldn´t want to issue a Cease and Desist against Fireball spells, only to be blasted by a Lightning Bolt, or Melf´s Acid Arrows, in return.
Depending on how generous the GM is, he could allow the Lawyer to issue a Cease and Desist against, for example, direct damage spells, or summoning spells.

Chaos
2007-11-07, 10:10 AM
While sitting in the train today (commuting sucks!), I had another idea for the Lawyer class.

What do you guys think of organizing it like a spellcaster class, only with "Legal Maneuvers" instead of ordinary spells?

Warlord JK
2007-11-07, 10:13 AM
Sick class, I can't wait to play it.

Chaos
2007-11-07, 02:21 PM
Sick class, I can't wait to play it.

Sick?

"Hey, I don´t make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose."
-Celia