PDA

View Full Version : Starting Dragon Heist next week. Character suggestions? NO SPOILERS

Rolero
2020-11-16, 07:35 PM
Hi folks, as the title says. I am starting a new campaign and finally get to try Water Deep: Dragon Heist.
As far as I know, is heavily focused into the city so I am expecting an urban setting for the whole deal, so I am guessing something like Druid or Rangers won't shine here.
However, I would like some pointers. Can I expect intrigue? stealth missions? How heavy is into the dungeon crawling even inside the city walls?

Again, I am not looking for spoilers, just some suggestions about how could be more useful to play in this setting.

As for my group of fellow players, I know for certain one is going to be a fighter or a paladin (99% human) Another one is going wizard (cause he always plays wizards) and that leave two spots: me and another friend who is still making his mind.

I've been wanting to play a warlock for a while, either chain or tome, and probably Archfey. Probably Half elf. But I would also like to play a shadow monk. I know, that a Rogue would certanly be useful, but I have played them enough, want something new.
Of course, I am very open to suggestions. I just want to play something appropriate for this particular setting.

Materials allowed: Player's handbook, Swordcoast, Xanathar and Volo's.

Avonar
2020-11-16, 07:39 PM
For Dragon Heist - RP comes above all else here. It's a really fun campaign that metagaming the optimal character I can see being detrimental to the experience. Think of an interesting concept and rock it, deal with the problems that come up.

If you go warlock especially, perhaps chat with the DM about the patron, I can see it coming into play.

Evaar
2020-11-16, 08:15 PM
There are a handful of places that stealth would be useful. Druid bringing Pass Without Trace would be very helpful for one location in particular. Don't write them off, there is support for primal-type characters. It IS city based, but that doesn't mean there aren't places for characters like that. Also a Druid's ability to shapeshift into a rat or spider can be incredibly helpful for scouting ahead in multiple locations. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the usual Forgotten Realms factions can become involved, and that includes the Emerald Enclave even here.

Warlock would also work nicely due to your Charisma. Beguiling Influence as an invocation is arguably more valuable here than in most campaigns, and Archfey's "Fey Presence" would also have some nice application.

I would describe the campaign as light on combat (though it's D&D so it's obviously present), and heavier on mystery solving and roleplaying. Things like Perception and Investigation will probably be helpful. Insight and Persuasion as well. You'll want someone proficient in Thieves' Tools - of course anyone can do that with the Criminal background. Bard is obviously great, given all the skill options they have.

WATERDEEP IS A CITY WITH LAWS. Do not expect a murderhobo to make it far. While you can be a criminal, there is law enforcement. Anticipate having to handle that somehow. You are nowhere near the most powerful person in the city. In fact, as written the campaign caps out at 5th level. So don't pick anything that has to wait a while to "come online."

Backstory-wise - the best character for Dragon Heist is someone who wants to establish themselves within the city of Waterdeep but hasn't yet; whether that means you want people to learn your name, you're aspiring to marry into a noble family, you just want to make lots of money so you can join the city elite, or you want to become more politically powerful so that you can assert some sort of influence (altruistic or otherwise). Play someone who's looking for an opportunity to make a name for themself. Play someone who really cares about their neighbor - either their wellbeing or just what they think of you. This campaign will reward you for it.

All this said, this is an extremely modular campaign so even more than usual it depends on what your DM does with it. There are multiple options in the campaign guide and also a lot of frequently used fan-created options. The adventure can follow wildly different paths depending on which options they choose. Let your DM know the Dragon Heist subreddit is an invaluable resource if they aren't already using it.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-11-16, 08:42 PM
As others have suggested, you'll want a party capable of some discretion: nobody who's a heavy liability on stealth missions, and a few with social skills.
Regarding Druids, "Cities-are-a-blight-upon-nature" types will probably not have a good time but I enjoyed my Tabaxi street kid druid - literally an alley cat!

Evaar
2020-11-16, 09:06 PM
Regarding Druids, "Cities-are-a-blight-upon-nature" types will probably not have a good time but I enjoyed my Tabaxi street kid druid - literally an alley cat!

Yes, good clarification. If your character hates cities, you'll have issues. If your character really wants the city to have more gardens and parks and generally be nature-friendly, you'll do great.

MrCharlie
2020-11-16, 09:33 PM
Inquisitive Rogue, full stop. It's the right campaign for it.

Osuniev
2020-11-16, 10:21 PM
I would second asking your DM about your Patron if you go Warlock, and about your background as well : the campaign can be amazingly enhanced if your character's background ties into the factions in the city.

A Warlock can be a fine choice indeed, but as long as your character doesn't hate civilization and is not going to murder shopkeepers in broad daylight, most classes are fine. Ranger needs city as his favorite terrain to shine though :P .

Pex
2020-11-16, 10:23 PM
Of course there's combat but also intrigue and socializing. Play a character who cares about the city. Don't need to be a saint, though you could if you want, but Waterdeep is your home. Noble or Criminal. Guildmaster or Urchin. You love the city.

As far as classes: Druids won't have much fun. Moon druid is ok, but you won't feel being a druid. As a warlcok, it depends how interfering your DM plays your Patron and Pact. Who your Patron is may matter very much or not at all. Wizard and stereotypical Cleric and Paladin will have greater pull with some NPCs while Rogue and Bard have greater pull with others. Subtle Spell will see use for Sorcerers.

Spo
2020-11-16, 10:29 PM
Played monk through Dragonheist and now we are lvl 17 in Mad Mage continuing with the same group. Initially was going to go for drunken master but SOOO glad I chose Shadow bc of Mad Mage. Picked urchin background for thieves tools.

If you are wanting to play without a cleric or bard and still want a bit of healing beyond the paladin, perhaps a Mercy Monk might suit your needs.

Unoriginal
2020-11-16, 10:39 PM
I've been wanting to play a warlock for a while, either chain or tome, and probably Archfey. Probably Half elf. But I would also like to play a shadow monk. I know, that a Rogue would certanly be useful, but I have played them enough, want something new.

Monks can be pretty great in Dragon Heist, and a Shadow Monk will certainly pull their weight more than enough.

Interesting detail, but it's illegal to draw your weapon in Waterdeep, unless it's for self-defense or if you're an accredited authority. I wish the module's writers had played with that more and decided that a good share of the Waterdavian crooks trained to fight unarmed to avoid that limitation. Would have made the module even more awesome.

Played monk through Dragonheist and now we are lvl 17 in Mad Mage continuing with the same group. Initially was going to go for drunken master but SOOO glad I chose Shadow bc of Mad Mage. Picked urchin background for thieves tools.

If you are wanting to play without a cleric or bard and still want a bit of healing beyond the paladin, perhaps a Mercy Monk might suit your needs.

Good suggestion, though the Drunken Master could have been awesome too.

Rolero
2020-11-17, 04:51 AM
Thank you so much for all th input! :D

I have to admit, the Tabaxi Druid street cat concept looks cool. Maybe I'll consider something similar.
Our group is big in roleplaying so I am delighted to read this has a bigger part in the campaign.
If playing Warlock, I was thinking of Hyrsam, the Prince of Fools as my patron. I think it could work as a schemer and mischief maker.
Should I go Monk, I'll definetly go with Shadow. You have pointed out the importance of being subtle and our tank is going to be in heavy armor, so having access to Pass without Trace via Ki can come in handly. Also, I hadn't thought about the city security and weapon restriction, so being apt with bare hands is always welcomed.

Umm, I am going to have a tough time making a decision. On my last campaigns I was always covering the needs of the group (mostly, playing support) so this time I wanted something different.

I am really looking for something impactful and fun to play. Does anyone have some original concepts for an urban setting?

Snivlem
2020-11-17, 05:53 AM
I only have only one suggestion: If you go for warlock, pick pact of the chain. I think the improved familiar can really shine.

Wraith
2020-11-17, 06:55 AM
I am really looking for something impactful and fun to play. Does anyone have some original concepts for an urban setting?

I don't know anything about the module, save what I have read in this thread, but I think I've picked up on the general theme. You're in a city, which to me says there's a lot of encounters indoors or otherwise involving cramped sewers or alleyways.

That makes me think, Grappler. Lots of different ways you can do that, but I feel like being indoors therefore stops your opponent from running away or flying overhead.

A Fighter/Rune Knight would be pretty good - getting a concentration-free equivalent to the Enlarge spell twice per day as a class feature is probably going to be lots of fun, taking up the entire space in a dark alley and forcing enemies to risk AoO's to get around you while you're happily grabbing them and throwing them through windows and such. I'd take something like the City Watch background and go around 'arresting' people, two or even three at a time if you play as something like a Simic Hybrid with Grappling Claws :smalltongue:

Eldritch Knight can do something similar too, though at level 8 rather than 3, but they have other stuff they can be doing in the meantime with their spells and a little bit more flexibility/battlefield control.

Alternatively, go in completely the other direction and play a small character like a Kobold. Pack Tactics and Cower, Grovel & Beg will be great in tight spaces as it will be comparatively easy for you to catch multiple victims at once. A "City Ranger" or "City Druid"would be interesting for that, just really play up the feisty little street urchin-type character who knows all the secret, hidden places in the city.

Let's see, what else would I play that's a bit less obvious... Minotaur Paladin? Your God is related to the patron of the city or is someone like Urbanus or Waukeen, both the Oath of Devotion and Redemption have some interesting non-combat options for a more RP-intense module, and you generally treat the city streets as your own personal 'labyrinth' to protect and watch over?