PDA

View Full Version : Optimization celestial mystic early entry

Ryabede
2020-11-16, 08:39 PM
starting a new game and we already have players being exalted goodygoods so i figured id look into it as well.
Came across Celestial mystic and kinda wanted to play a caster (i suck at casters unless its a gish >.<), but really dont want to wait till 7th to get into it by "normal" means due to the 4th level spell requirement. Any ideas to sneak in early? The rest of the requirements can be met by 3rd if you're human or VoP it.
I think there was something about earth spell? and one of my friends told me to look into versatile spellcasting but both of these seem really iffy.

also, any tips on routs to go with this build wise would be appreciated, trying to step out of my gishy comfort box into a useful caster that is still somewhat focused.

Anthrowhale
2020-11-16, 08:47 PM
Divine Metamagic[Heighten Spell] is the most efficient way to cast 4th level spells early. You could also potentially qualify via Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell + Sanctum Spell.

Arael666
2020-11-16, 08:56 PM
Divine Metamagic[Heighten Spell] is the most efficient way to cast 4th level spells early.

How would that work exactly? Since you don't actually have a 4th lvl spell sloth? Do you mean that you heighten the spell without actually raising the spell level?

Anthrowhale
2020-11-16, 09:00 PM
How would that work exactly? Since you don't actually have a 4th lvl spell sloth? Do you mean that you heighten the spell without actually raising the spell level?

You would use Heighten Spell without actually changing the spell slot level just like DMM[Quicken] does not change the spell slot.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-11-17, 02:33 AM
Adding to the pile, Versatile Spellcaster + a Bloodline feat to give you a 4th level spell known.

Celestial Bloodline (Dragon Compendium) is probably the best flavor-wise. (It also arguably qualifies you for the excellent Outsider Wings feat from Races of Faerun, which has a prerequisite feat also named Celestial Bloodline). That brings you up to 5 feats total, though, so you will be needing bonus feats from somewhere, and you have to be a spontaneous arcane caster so you're still only getting in after level 6.

Alternatively, if you've got a 6th feat to spare (I think at that point you need to be using flaws, Human, and Vow of Poverty), the Southern Magician feat lets you qualify for the Bloodline feat as a Cleric (or Druid, but they can't be LG). Then you get 3rd level spells at level 5, and can use Versatile Spellcaster to cast your 4th level Bloodline spell (rainbow pattern for Celestial Bloodline), letting you enter the PrC as your 6th level.

Kalkra
2020-11-17, 11:32 AM
If you go Necropolitian you can can get free tainted feats, and Eldrtich Corruption + Mad Faith can get you 3rd-level spell slot and +2 free heightening. Eldritch Corruption requires you to have any metamagic feat.

Doctor Despair
2020-11-17, 11:55 AM
Warmages, Dread Necromancers, and Beguilers automatically know all their spells at any level they can cast, so...

Human or Strongheart Halfling

1. Warmage[or Beguiler or Dread Necromancer] (Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Servant of the Heavens)
2. Warmage (Vow of Abstinence)
3. Warmage (Versatile Spellcaster)
4. Warmage (Exalted Feat)
5. Warmage
6. Warmage (Anything, Exalted Feat)
7. Celestial Mystic

or

Human or Strongheart Halfling

1. Sorcerer[or any other spontaneous caster with sorc progression] (Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Servant of the Heavens)
2. Sorcerer (Vow of Abstinence)
3. Sorcerer (Versatile Spellcaster)
4. Sorcerer (Exalted Feat)
5. Sorcerer
6. Sorcerer (Celestial Bloodline, Exalted Feat)
7. Celestial Mystic