PDA

View Full Version : WOTC State of the Game Survey

jaappleton
2020-11-16, 09:00 PM
https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/5996799/dd?sglocale=en&src=twitter

They do these every so often. Here is your chance to tell them what you want!

(We’re all going to say Sigil, Spelljammer and Dark Sun, right...?) :smalltongue:

But REALLY, PLEASE, say that you follow D&D here at GITP. Raise their awareness of this forum. They seemingly think ENWorld is the only forum (I say that only half jokingly), so the more aware of GITP they are, the more merit my emails have when I ask for pre-release material so I can share it here with you all.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-16, 09:03 PM
I'll be filling this out tomorrow probably, it seems... weird that they would put out this kind of survery the day before such a game changing supplement is released...

cutlery
2020-11-16, 09:09 PM
25 minutes? What are they smoking?

jaappleton
2020-11-16, 09:10 PM
I'll be filling this out tomorrow probably, it seems... weird that they would put out this kind of survery the day before such a game changing supplement is released...

I think it’s more, “Ok we have a few projects for 2021, but what do we work on AFTER that?”

I think they’ll compile the results of the survey and use it to formulate what they should make next. Also, they are a company, they need to project sales and such for shareholders meetings and whatnot.

BoutsofInsanity
2020-11-16, 09:39 PM
Further its also important to take stock on how Covid has shaped the landscape going into the next year.

Foxhound438
2020-11-16, 10:08 PM

yeah, it is wierd. Almost feels like they're trying to dodge any informed criticism to things that will be clear as day design mistakes in a month or so, but maybe I'm just being conspiratorial

Dork_Forge
2020-11-16, 10:36 PM
I think it’s more, “Ok we have a few projects for 2021, but what do we work on AFTER that?”

I think they’ll compile the results of the survey and use it to formulate what they should make next. Also, they are a company, they need to project sales and such for shareholders meetings and whatnot.

I understand all of that, but it falling coincidentally the day before arguably their biggest release since the core three? In terms of design feedback and forecasting it doesn't make sense to do it right before, it'd make more sense afterwards.

Between the various questionable design choices in Tasha's and the unusual timing of this survey it's pretty suspicious.

P. G. Macer
2020-11-16, 10:45 PM
One thing I noticed while taking the survey (I actually took it before I saw this thread but still listed GitP) is that they are now making a distinction between two kinds of homebrew, “Homebrew adapted from other (official or 3rd-party) materials” and “Home-brew made from scratch.” Previous surveys just said home-brew. I wonder what the significance of this is, but I think it may be so they know how many people use their adventure modules for inspiration and/or statblocks.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-16, 10:48 PM
One thing I noticed while taking the survey (I actually took it before I saw this thread but still listed GitP) is that they are now making a distinction between two kinds of homebrew, “Homebrew adapted from other (official or 3rd-party) materials” and “Home-brew made from scratch.” Previous surveys just said home-brew. I wonder what the significance of this is, but I think it may be so they know how many people use their adventure modules for inspiration and/or statblocks.

Could be that they're trying to gauge how many people are adapting material from older editions? I imagine from a design stand point it'd be a hell of a lot easier if you saw that enough people were trying to make x subclass from a previous edition than try and come up with something from scratch to publish.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-11-16, 11:10 PM
Could be that they're trying to gauge how many people are adapting material from older editions? I imagine from a design stand point it'd be a hell of a lot easier if you saw that enough people were trying to make x subclass from a previous edition than try and come up with something from scratch to publish.

It could also be aimed at the recent influx of "semi official" content from some of their partners, like the Critical Role content or that Frostmaiden supplement book that the AL put out (Knuckleheads something or other).

I think your idea is probably more likely though.

Kane0
2020-11-16, 11:24 PM
Completed like a good little consumer

Naanomi
2020-11-17, 12:33 AM
Their game list was way too narrow... lacking some great classics... Eye of the Beholder? Pool of Radiance? Temple of Elemental Evil?

wookietek
2020-11-17, 12:42 AM
I took the survey even though the timing is weird. I couldn't resist though, when it came to the question of race I chose to write in "human" I wish I thought of V.Human though

Montesquieu P.
2020-11-17, 01:30 AM
I also answered 'human' -- as I do for the US Census every decade. So far, it's still the only scientifically correct answer.

How much do you expect WOTC to weight their decisionmaking, by the market potential ($ spending) of the respondents?

It does seem odd to call some of the created materials 'homebrew' -- or even 'amateur' -- considering how much detailed research, calculation, and crafting has gone into some of the scenarios/backgrounds that I've seen.

Zhorn
2020-11-17, 01:36 AM
did my part, made sure to mention these forums and spelljammer

Millstone85
2020-11-17, 05:01 AM
(We’re all going to say Sigil, Spelljammer and Dark Sun, right...?) :smalltongue:I said Planescape, Spelljammer and homebrew that mixes setting elements.

It they embrace a shared universe, they better describe how it connects.

But REALLY, PLEASE, say that you follow D&D here at GITP. Raise their awareness of this forum.Done.

Kane0
2020-11-17, 03:47 PM
Aye, pointed out GitP and my subbed D&D Youtubers, plus noted Planescape and Homebrew

Waazraath
2020-11-17, 04:01 PM
https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/5996799/dd?sglocale=en&src=twitter

They do these every so often. Here is your chance to tell them what you want!

(We’re all going to say Sigil, Spelljammer and Dark Sun, right...?) :smalltongue:

But REALLY, PLEASE, say that you follow D&D here at GITP. Raise their awareness of this forum. They seemingly think ENWorld is the only forum (I say that only half jokingly), so the more aware of GITP they are, the more merit my emails have when I ask for pre-release material so I can share it here with you all.

Done and done, thnx for the suggestion!

Gtdead
2020-11-17, 04:51 PM
It was the perfect opportunity to raise awareness for the gitp forum and mention what is shaping to be my favorite game of all time, Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Wish these guys could use more than the SRD for their game.

Dienekes
2020-11-17, 05:24 PM
Put in mine as well. A lot about how much I homebrew things. Got to make a little note to wanting more things like Warblade and Warlord. Don't that will go anywhere though.

Deathtongue
2020-11-17, 05:55 PM
Anyone had a problem with some of the dropdowns?

Sparky McDibben
2020-11-17, 06:32 PM
Shocked they didn't have Ravnica or Wildemount among the favorite campaign settings; I had to add them in other.

jaappleton
2020-11-17, 06:46 PM
Anyone had a problem with some of the dropdowns?

I did the survey on my phone and definitely had some moments where the drop downs took a minute to load.

Segev
2020-11-17, 07:22 PM
It's kind-of weird that they're dropping this when they've not released much content in the last year, but seem to think not having bought anything in the last year means you are motivated NOT to buy their products.

They just haven't sold anything I've had any interest in since the last time I bought books. I'm considering Tasha's, but it's not been out long enough yet for me to be looking hard at it, and it engenders enough mixed feelings that I am not chomping at the bit.

Dienekes
2020-11-17, 07:49 PM
It's kind-of weird that they're dropping this when they've not released much content in the last year, but seem to think not having bought anything in the last year means you are motivated NOT to buy their products.

They just haven't sold anything I've had any interest in since the last time I bought books. I'm considering Tasha's, but it's not been out long enough yet for me to be looking hard at it, and it engenders enough mixed feelings that I am not chomping at the bit.

They did have one of the options being: I wasn't interested in the products. Followed by an explanation for why.

I know I told them that I had not spent a dime on them in a few months because they'd released nothing I found worth buying.