PDA

View Full Version : Destructive Wave + Elemental Spell + Destructive Wrath

CMCC
2020-11-16, 10:45 PM
Destructive wave reads:
Each creature you choose within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 5d6 thunder damage, as well as 5d6 radiant or necrotic damage (your choice), and be knocked prone.

If I cast destructive wave, and change the second 5d6 to thunder damage, and then maximize damage via destructive wrath do I roll (edit: maximize) 5d6 or 10d6?

Dork_Forge
2020-11-16, 10:50 PM
You wouldn't roll anything you'd just take the maximum, though if you're making it all thunder I see no reason to not maximise the entire thing to 60 thunder.

CMCC
2020-11-16, 10:52 PM
You wouldn't roll anything you'd just take the maximum, though if you're making it all thunder I see no reason to not maximise the entire thing to 60 thunder.

Sorry - yeah I meant is it considered 1 “roll” or two separate ones.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-16, 11:07 PM
Sorry - yeah I meant is it considered 1 “roll” or two separate ones.

It's part of the same spell and the damage is being dealt at the same time, I can't think of any reason to not just apply Destructive Wrath to all of it, regardless the original damage type. After all, DS doesn't specify one roll, just when you roll and the damage is happening simultaneously.

MrCharlie
2020-11-16, 11:14 PM
Agreed, it seems that you would maximize the full spells damage roll, which is now 10d6. Is this someting from Tashas, or unearthed arcana, or what? I don't know of any feature that allows the changing of damage types.

CMCC
2020-11-16, 11:20 PM
Agreed, it seems that you would maximize the full spells damage roll, which is now 10d6. Is this someting from Tashas, or unearthed arcana, or what? I don't know of any feature that allows the changing of damage types.

Elemental spell is a metamagic in tashas that lets you change damage types of a spell.

So for 1 sorcery point and your channel divinity you can do 60 damage to all enemies within 30 feet of you. Oh yeah and knock them prone if they fail their save.

And you don’t need any levels in sorc to do it (metamagic adept feat)

That ish is good.

Wait now...

“ When you cast a spell that deals a type of damage from the following list, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to one of the other listed types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder.”

So you can’t change any other damage types? Like radiant to thunder?

Bleh.

Nvm folks. Doesn’t look like there’s anything to see here.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-11-16, 11:20 PM
It's part of the same spell and the damage is being dealt at the same time, I can't think of any reason to not just apply Destructive Wrath to all of it, regardless the original damage type. After all, DS doesn't specify one roll, just when you roll and the damage is happening simultaneously.

I don't know if I agree, the spell seems clear to say that only 5d6 is Thunder damage and Destructive Wrath only maximizes when you're rolling for Thunder Damage.

It's such a niche case thought that I don't really see harm in going either way.

CMCC
2020-11-16, 11:23 PM
I don't know if I agree, the spell seems clear to say that only 5d6 is Thunder damage and Destructive Wrath only maximizes when you're rolling for Thunder Damage.

It's such a niche case thought that I don't really see harm in going either way.

The idea is to change the radiant to thunder damage so both 5d6 are thunder.

Doesn’t look like you can change radiant damage with elemental spell though. Which is odd - but it is what it is.

MaxWilson
2020-11-16, 11:31 PM
Elemental spell is a metamagic in tashas that lets you change damage types of a spell.

So for 1 sorcery point and your channel divinity you can do 60 damage to all enemies within 30 feet of you. Oh yeah and knock them prone if they fail their save.

And you don’t need any levels in sorc to do it (metamagic adept feat)

That ish is good.

Wait now...

“ When you cast a spell that deals a type of damage from the following list, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to one of the other listed types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder.”

So you can’t change any other damage types? Like radiant to thunder?

Bleh.

Nvm folks. Doesn’t look like there’s anything to see here.

Use Destructive Wrath on a Cone of Cold instead. No Paladin levels required, just Tempest 2/Sorc 9.

CMCC
2020-11-16, 11:42 PM
Use Destructive Wrath on a Cone of Cold instead. No Paladin levels required, just Tempest 2/Sorc 9.

Yeah that’s awesome, but I was hoping to come up with a different archetype to the tempest2/sorcX builds out there.

Not to be.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-11-16, 11:59 PM
The idea is to change the radiant to thunder damage so both 5d6 are thunder.

Doesn’t look like you can change radiant damage with elemental spell though. Which is odd - but it is what it is.

I know what your proposed idea was, Dork_Forge is saying that it should be able to maximize the damage regardless since there is thunder damage being rolled at all. I don't really agree, but we have so few examples of spells that deal multiple damage types I don't see a lot of issue with allowing it regardless. Destructive Wrath is generous enough with its wording that I can see it ruled either way.

Destructive Wrath is on the Tempest Domain list, I don't think Paladin levels are involved here.

CMCC
2020-11-17, 12:02 AM
I know what your proposed idea was, Dork_Forge is saying that it should be able to maximize the damage regardless since there is thunder damage being rolled at all. I don't really agree, but we have so few examples of spells that deal multiple damage types I don't see a lot of issue with allowing it regardless. Destructive Wrath is generous enough with its wording that I can see it ruled either way.

Ah got it. I worded it a bit weird in the OP so wasn’t sure if it was confusing.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-17, 03:19 AM

I understand where you're coming from in a RAW reading of things, but I see the effect essentially changing 5d6 to 10d6 and basically blanking out the second part.

Obviously YMMV based on DM.