PDA

View Full Version : What character do you want to play but can't?

clash
2020-11-16, 11:23 PM
So like the title says, is there a character you want to play from your favorite video game, movie, book or other media that just isn't represented in d&d mechanics? Who is it and what is missing in the game to build them?

Kane0
2020-11-17, 12:04 AM
I'd really love to play a character that powers up from getting hurt. The more beaten up I get the more punishment I can dish out until I fall hard on that razors edge.

TyGuy
2020-11-17, 12:49 AM
Illidan Stormrage
A few options get close-ish but nothing checks all the boxes. Even with a gestalt character it would be hard to pull off. But the worst part is that all the elements are in the game, they're just scattered too far and wide to cobble something together.

Tvtyrant
2020-11-17, 01:04 AM
Fleshwarper, monster breeder type. It's pretty common in fantasy, had options in 3.5 and then got cut out entirely.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-17, 02:42 AM
Summoner.
The summoning spells just give the DM more work.
If the summoning spells gave all the work to the players I would use them.
They are also unreliable. Look at all the random variables they have.
The spells who summon demon/devil are too dangerous to use.
Planer ally is closer to calling than summoning.

Crusader.
I want to heal my friends by crushing some skulls.

Vulryn
2020-11-17, 02:45 AM
Summoner.
The summoning spells just give the DM more work.
If the summoning spells gave all the work to the players I would use them.
They are also unreliable. Look at all the random variables they have.
The spells who summon demon/devil are too dangerous to use.
Planer ally is closer to calling than summoning.

Crusader.
I want to heal my friends by crushing some skulls.

The summoning spells in tashas made it alot safer. Really looking forward to that, since I also like summoner-characters. :)

NecessaryWeevil
2020-11-17, 12:27 PM
The world's greatest swordsman / thief / pastry chef. I get why extreme min-maxing would be a problem for balance reasons, and I get that D&D is about the slow rise of the hero from barmaid to legendary heroine, but you can't be Inigo Montoya if your 5th-level fighter is no better at fighting than the next 5th-level fighter.

A healer who takes on others' injuries after the fact (i.e. I'm not talking about Warding Bond).

OldTrees1
2020-11-17, 12:42 PM
A spirit that can't act proactively but passively and reactively supports the group. 5E does not handle monsterous PCs. Nor passive/reactive PCs (the limit on passive effects, the limit on known reactions, and the limit on number of reactions).

A necromancer that uses their power to create a post scarcity society. 5E can't handle that much minonmancy.

A high tier martial character. Mythical level of capability fits well against high tier spells.

Edit: Although these are not from 'other media', they are characters I would want to play.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-17, 12:45 PM
So like the title says, is there a character you want to play from your favorite video game, movie, book or other media that just isn't represented in d&d mechanics?
No.
What I like to do is make a character, and then their emergent story makes them a unique hero, or character, with all succcess and failures folded into to make a one of a kind story.
While I occasionally draw some inspiration from a comic book or a movie, I really want my characters to be unique; maybe it's my whole 'sub creator' instinct at work there.