PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice Adding a new trait to dagger

Witty Username
2020-11-17, 03:55 AM
I was thinking of adding a special trait to the dagger:
When taking the attack action on your turn, you make use a bonus action to make an attack with a dagger.

The idea is to facilitate Rapier & dagger type things. How is this from a balance stand point?

Hytheter
2020-11-17, 04:09 AM
It's a single point of damage over dual shortswords if you have extra attack. edit: actually, you should make it count as an offhand attack TWF-wise since otherwise it wouldn't need the style, making it better than dual wielding normally.

Lorka
2020-11-17, 04:48 AM
An extra attack step on to many present features. But a +1 AC for an off hand dagger would probably be fine.

GeoffWatson
2020-11-17, 07:52 AM
Sounds like dagger and shield is the way to go, attacking twice with the dagger.

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 09:00 AM
Add the a line that the ba attack is only available when you miss with your rapier attack. I would also just make it a different dagger by trading the thrown property for this one.

This way it increases minimum damage a little but doesn't jump above other options.

da newt
2020-11-17, 09:07 AM
This is already RAW as long as your primary weapon is LIGHT. If you do not have the TWF fighting style, then the BA dagger damage is weapon only. If you have TWF FS then you can add your attack mod damage. If you have the Dual Wielding Feat, then you can attack with any two one handed weapons (d8) and +1 AC.

What are you proposing to change from the above?

If it is just that you can make a BA attack w/ a dagger if you attack with any one handed weapon (remove the LIGHT restriction) - all you are doing is matching the average damage of dual wielding 2 d6 weapons.

If you are also allowing the BA dagger attack to add att mod dam, then you are creating additional damage without the TWF FS cost.

Tesla Dragon
2020-11-17, 09:13 AM
If the idea is to allow the rapier and dagger flavor and/or style, you may instead want to lean more heavily on the existing two-weapon fighting rules and add a new ruling to the dagger that allows it to be wielded in the offhand even if the other weapon lacks the light quality.

Zhorn
2020-11-17, 10:14 AM
Personally I'd just tell my players to suck it up and use TWF as it exists in RAW already, but for the sake of OP's topic, here's a shot at it

Dagger Feature
Main Gauche: Allows a wielded dagger to be used for an off handed Bonus Action attack as though engaging in Two Weapon Fighting even when their main hand weapon lacks the light property.

Witty Username
2020-11-18, 02:31 AM
So, looks like people don't like being able to get the benefits of two-weapon fighting without the style, fair enough.
How about this? When using a dagger to make the two-weapon fighting bonus action attack, your other weapon is considered to have the light property.

That being said, is it really that bad for off hand daggers to get the ability bonus to damage? I seems like it would be about in line with the double scimitar which isn't exactly a power choice.

GlenSmash!
2020-11-18, 06:20 PM
I added a trait called 'Ultra-Light' which lets you use a dagger for two weapon fighting even if the weapon in your other hand is not 'Light'. That way a character can TWF with Rapier/dagger or Londsword/Dagger without a feat.