PDA

View Full Version : So reading through the Tasha's Ranger...

Dork_Forge
2020-11-17, 05:09 AM
And the overwhelming feeling I have oozing from it is FUN. Like these subclasses seem like they'd be an unbridled hoot to play and the variant options mostly elevate the base class (and so the other subclasses by extension). I think for the most part the book has done right by the Ranger.

I still don't like the Favored Foe replacement though, a complete waste of space after about 3rd level unless you're burning through your spell slots somehow.

Willie the Duck
2020-11-17, 08:28 AM
And the overwhelming feeling I have oozing from it is FUN. Like these subclasses seem like they'd be an unbridled hoot to play and the variant options mostly elevate the base class (and so the other subclasses by extension). I think for the most part the book has done right by the Ranger.

Overall yes. Fae wanderer got hit with the nerf bat between UA and here (in particular if you wanted to try a 2wf ranger, which... seriously WotC, this is an iconic character concept, what do you have against it?), but otherwise everything looks designed to make a ranger a lot more fun. It doesn't fix the glaring problem of the exploration pillar being anemic (and most ranger abilities making it less interesting), but it certainly makes what you do get to do with rangers more fun.

I still don't like the Favored Foe replacement though, a complete waste of space after about 3rd level unless you're burning through your spell slots somehow.

There are so many spells I want to use as a ranger that this absolutely opens up some opportunities. However, it certainly is a waste of page space and opportunity to put in something good on its own merit (rather than merely 'hey, now I can use my other 1st level spells!').

Dork_Forge
2020-11-17, 08:38 AM
Overall yes. Fae wanderer got hit with the nerf bat between UA and here (in particular if you wanted to try a 2wf ranger, which... seriously WotC, this is an iconic character concept, what do you have against it?), but otherwise everything looks designed to make a ranger a lot more fun. It doesn't fix the glaring problem of the exploration pillar being anemic (and most ranger abilities making it less interesting), but it certainly makes what you do get to do with rangers more fun.

I'll have to read through the UA again, the bonus d4 is certainly lack lustre in the damage department but I guess they shifted the subclass' focus to other things.

The exploration problem needs a chapter dedicated to expanding on it with rules and examples of how to make it interesting and not fast forward x days with y number of checks. This was a perfect book to do that but hey, there's always the mimic colony I guess...

There are so many spells I want to use as a ranger that this absolutely opens up some opportunities. However, it certainly is a waste of page space and opportunity to put in something good on its own merit (rather than merely 'hey, now I can use my other 1st level spells!').

What annoys me is that since it's concentration it stops you from using other fun things with it like Hail of Thorns etc. The damage is so far removed from Hunter's Mark that I don't think the labels I've seen of 'poor man's HM' are accurate at all. I think the cantrip style and Primal Awareness variant are more compelling additions to a casting Ranger than this thing is.

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 09:21 AM
Only redeeming quality to Favored Foe that I can see: it works nicely with Horizon Walker rangers who want to use their bonus action every turn for Planar Warrior instead of switching targets for Hunter's Mark.

It's still laughable, but at least quasi useful there.

DigitalCharlie
2020-11-17, 12:38 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think favored foe works decently with the suite of on hit or miss spells like hail of thorns, lightning arrow, and the like after you get extra attack. The spell triggers on your first attack, and if you hit with the second you still get the bonus 1d4 damage. And you can have done all of it in one turn.

It's not amazing, but it's free 1d4 damage once a turn with no resource expenditure.

Willie the Duck
2020-11-17, 12:50 PM
Maybe I'm missing something...It's not amazing, but it's free 1d4 damage once a turn with no resource expenditure.

The resources expended are having to have taken the Favored Foe option, concentration, and the page count that went into this instead of a better solution to enhancing ranger. Yes, it is better than nothing. I think if that is the best we can say about it, that is kind of the point.

ZRN
2020-11-17, 12:57 PM
The resources expended are having to have taken the Favored Foe option, concentration, and the page count that went into this instead of a better solution to enhancing ranger. Yes, it is better than nothing. I think if that is the best we can say about it, that is kind of the point.

How do people feel about the monster slayer subclass? It seems like a less fussy replacement for hunter's mark, but I'm not sure how the damage stacks up statistically; I can see keeping the old Favored Enemy but using the other new optional features with that subclass to make a bounty hunter type.

Makorel
2020-11-17, 02:59 PM
How do people feel about the monster slayer subclass? It seems like a less fussy replacement for hunter's mark, but I'm not sure how the damage stacks up statistically; I can see keeping the old Favored Enemy but using the other new optional features with that subclass to make a bounty hunter type.

I think the fact that Slayer's Eye costs a bonus action makes it more fussy than Foe Slayer not less. As underwhelming as Foe Slayer is I think people are really underestimating how clunky it is having to apply bonus actions over multiple turns. To get up to peak damage potential with UA Hunter's Mark you would have had to do Hunter's Mark turn 1 then Slayer's Prey turn 2 then your concentration spell turn 3, or some other order of the same steps. Compare to Foe Slayer, you can set it up and Slayer's Eye on a single turn to reach your damage potential.

MrCharlie
2020-11-17, 07:31 PM
I think the fact that Slayer's Eye costs a bonus action makes it more fussy than Foe Slayer not less. As underwhelming as Foe Slayer is I think people are really underestimating how clunky it is having to apply bonus actions over multiple turns. To get up to peak damage potential with UA Hunter's Mark you would have had to do Hunter's Mark turn 1 then Slayer's Prey turn 2 then your concentration spell turn 3, or some other order of the same steps. Compare to Foe Slayer, you can set it up and Slayer's Eye on a single turn to reach your damage potential.
The thing is that one of the best parts about half-casters and 1/3 casters is that you can concentrate independently of the full casters. This means more battlefield control effects, buffs, and debuffs. Many of the strongest spells are concentration, and being able to use them is huge.

Favored foe does not work with them. Which ruins it. Just absolutely decimates it.

Is the rangers damage probably more reliable? Sure. But the fundamental damage to the class chassis to do it isn't worth it.

Nidgit
2020-11-17, 07:57 PM
I feel like what Favored Foe meant to say is that it works alongside regular concentration in that you need to make a concentration check to maintain it but aren't barred from concentrating on spells.

That's if I'm being generous. I think a better version would be to allow Rangers to cast Hunter's Mark concentration free on a hit, half-proficiency times per day at the cost of a spell slot. As others have pointed out, the issue here isn't available spell slots, it's action economy (fixed with Favored Foe) and concentration availability.

Deft Explorer is definitely a buff, but I sure wish it had more choices. I feel like a lot of the individual character flavor has disappeared by regulating what boosts you get.

Nature's Veil is rad since it doesn't break when you attack. Primeval Awareness is a fantastic boost. No complaints with either.

Makorel
2020-11-17, 09:48 PM
The thing is that one of the best parts about half-casters and 1/3 casters is that you can concentrate independently of the full casters. This means more battlefield control effects, buffs, and debuffs. Many of the strongest spells are concentration, and being able to use them is huge.

Favored foe does not work with them. Which ruins it. Just absolutely decimates it.

Is the rangers damage probably more reliable? Sure. But the fundamental damage to the class chassis to do it isn't worth it.

It doesn't work with spell casting but now it works more favorably with the Ranger's built in class/subclass abilities, like Horizon Walker's Planar Warrior, or the beasts that can be commanded as a bonus action, or the new 10th level Nature's Veil.

But ultimately I do agree with you that it's a hard sell. Honestly it wouldn't have killed them to have both no concentration and no bonus action. Then there would actually be some semblance of synergy to the Ranger's abilities and I feel like that's more important than the perceived lack of power in the class.