PDA

View Full Version : searching for spells against body switcher / symbionts

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-17, 05:23 AM
I think I have seen at least 2 spells somewhere but I just can't seem to find em.
IIRC one disabled the ability to leave the body, while the other suppressed his other (mind effecting?) abilities.

Anybody knows which spells I'm looking for?^^
Or are you aware of any other spells that are specific against body switching/symbionts?

It could be that the main purpose may be shapeshifter and body switching may be only mentioned later in the text of the spells. I really can't recall it anymore and have been searching the past 2 days.. -.-

edit: typo, gramma

Venger
2020-11-17, 03:07 PM
Are you talking about spirit needle and mind blank? Can you tell us anything more about these two spells? What lists they were on, level, school, book, etc.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-17, 08:07 PM
Are you talking about spirit needle and mind blank? Can you tell us anything more about these two spells? What lists they were on, level, school, book, etc.

If I could remember I wouldn't be in this dilemma..^^

I'm aware of Mind Blank but that is used for other purposes (in my build idea) and is not what I'm now looking for.

The more I think/search about it, I get the impression that it is either Dragon Magazine or some 3rd party source, since I've gone through all offical 1st party books I guess.

I assume that both where from the same source, but I'm not even sure about that anymore. Could also be that I read em in a build/guide. I dunno anymore...

Are you aware of any other spells against symbionts and body switchers?

I'm further aware that the "Protection from (alignment)" spells could be useful here. But I'm looking for ways to shut down the body switching ability. How can I bind/imprison a symbiont or a Magic Jar/(true) Mind Switch user from switching/leaving into another body? Is there any kind of anchor spell for this situation?

One thing that keeps popping up in my thoughts is that I think the main purpose was directed more to the mentioned spells and that symbionts where mentioned later in the text (at least in one of the spells I guess..). But that doesn't help much to find em..

Is there any full list of spells from Dragon Magazine?

sreservoir
2020-11-17, 08:13 PM
If you're thinking of a pair of spells, it might be impotent possessor and imprison possessor (BoVD 98).

Thurbane
2020-11-17, 08:33 PM
If you're thinking of a pair of spells, it might be impotent possessor and imprison possessor (BoVD 98).

I was going to suggest ToM, but that only has Detect Vestige. I think sreservoir has hit the nail on the head.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-17, 08:34 PM

<3

I think we have a winner here. While Symbionts aren't explicitly mentioned, I think these are the spells I have been looking for. You are my hero =)

edit: I really thought I was imagining things because I couldn't find it anymore xD

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-17, 08:59 PM
Bonus Question:

Are the spells (dys-)functional? Don't I need "Line of Sight" to target a creature with a spell or is "Line of Effect" enough here. Because you can't always see the possessor..^^

Venger
2020-11-17, 10:27 PM
They're not dysfunctional. Line of effect is enough as long as the target's in range.

sreservoir
2020-11-17, 11:55 PM
Note that FC1 implies that normally you don't have line of effect to (at least demonic) possessors:

Only certain spells and abilities can affect a possessing fiend (see Exorcism, page 26, for details). Any other sort of attack—magical or otherwise—directed against the fiend affects the possessed creature or object instead.

Banishment, dismissal, dispel chaos, and dispel evil can all drive a demon from its host’s body. In these cases, despite a lack of line of effect, the caster can force a possessing fiend to succeed on a Will save. If it fails, it is not necessarily forced back to its home plane, however. Instead, the incorporeal form of the possessing fiend is driven out of the host and back to the fiend’s own body. A fiend driven out in this method can immediately attempt to find its former host however, so this method typically requires a quick protection from evil spell cast on the former victim to prevent repossession.

Of course, this is exception space if I ever saw it.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-18, 12:25 AM
Note that FC1 implies that normally you don't have line of effect to (at least demonic) possessors:

Of course, this is exception space if I ever saw it.

Hm... since I wanted to abuse Ghostly Visage (fiendish symbiont) who "Meld" into their "host(s)" they could fall under the same ruling.
A strict RAW point of view could be problematic here, but I guess at least with RAI we can agree that the spells should work.

TheCount
2020-11-18, 02:36 PM
If you want a target, won't the possessed creature sufficie? I mean, the possessor is IN them.
Kinda hard to target something inside someone.

ShurikVch
2020-11-19, 06:28 AM
Tsochar (Lords of Madness) with their Wear Flesh SA:

A tsochar can bore its way into a helpless living creature’s body, slipping its ropy tendrils into the spaces between organs and muscles and disappearing into the victim.
A tsochar can be forced to abandon the body by a remove disease or dispel evil spell (the caster must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check to expel the monster, which deals damage as described above) or a heal or limited wish spell (which automatically succeeds and causes no damage to the host).

Call of Cthulhu d20 have a very fitting spell: Cast out Devil (Cleric 4, Abjuration, Will neg.)

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-19, 05:54 PM
They're not dysfunctional. Line of effect is enough as long as the target's in range.

That's definitely wrong. You need to either see or be able to touch a target to target it with a spell.

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

Since Impotent Possessor targets "One possessing creature" instead of the host it's either dysfunctional or intended to be used with something that lets you perceive a possessing creature.
Detect Evil maybe.

SimonMoon6
2020-11-20, 12:04 PM
I've just now become aware of "imprison possessor" and its apparent intentional interaction with "magic jar".

So... as a spell-caster who would want to permanently possess someone else's body, but who can't use "true mind switch" since that's a psionic thing... I could cast magic jar on "awesome body person" and then cast "imprison possessor" on myself to make sure that the duration of magic jar is now effectively permanent?

Okay, it's still subject to "dispel magic", but this seems like a pretty incredible way to get around the fact that "magic jar" has a finite duration.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-21, 03:25 AM
That's definitely wrong. You need to either see or be able to touch a target to target it with a spell.

Since Impotent Possessor targets "One possessing creature" instead of the host it's either dysfunctional or intended to be used with something that lets you perceive a possessing creature.
Detect Evil maybe.
I have similar thoughts/feelings towards this. I was thinking about Mind Sight or True Sight as solution, but as you said Detect Evil and such should also work (and is much easier to access. thx for the tip/idea).

I've just now become aware of "imprison possessor" and its apparent intentional interaction with "magic jar".

So... as a spell-caster who would want to permanently possess someone else's body, but who can't use "true mind switch" since that's a psionic thing... I could cast magic jar on "awesome body person" and then cast "imprison possessor" on myself to make sure that the duration of magic jar is now effectively permanent?

Okay, it's still subject to "dispel magic", but this seems like a pretty incredible way to get around the fact that "magic jar" has a finite duration.

Yeah I had the same idea when I found the spell for the first time but totally forgot about that aspect again...^^
Thx for reminding me again.

_______
Update on the build. I hope to finish it over the weekend. A few abilities still need to be written out and the text formatting will become a headache because of the size of the build.. guaaaaahhhhh... I'll try to get it done somehow so that I can finally call it somewhat finished.. It really bothers me for to long..^^