PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is there a feat that allows you to control undead?

deanratticus
2020-11-17, 08:21 AM
So i am playing a necromancer in our new campain and i have a minion that basically functions as my general.
my question is this: is there a feat i can give my minion to allow him to control some of the undead i summon?

CharonsHelper
2020-11-17, 08:23 AM
If they're under your control, I don't see why you couldn't just order them to follow his orders.

Doctor Despair
2020-11-17, 08:35 AM
Not a feat, but this might be what you're looking for.

Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One undead creature; see text
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You cast your spell on the foul creature, and for a brief moment your own face appears atop its ruined body.

You empower the subject undead with the authority of command over undead in your control. The targeted undead must have Intelligence 5 or higher. Undead under your control obey the target undead as if it were you. You can give orders to the undead normally, superseding the orders of the subject of this spell. The number of undead you can control is increased by an amount equal to your caster level as long as the undead lieutenant is active. If the target undead creature is destroyed, the spell ends.

You can have only one undead lieutenant at any time.

If for some reason you don't have access to the spell, you can cast it out of an Eternal Wand (MIC p159, 10,900 gp) twice per day.

deanratticus
2020-11-17, 08:36 AM
If they're under your control, I don't see why you couldn't just order them to follow his orders.

Its more a problem of the amount of HD of undead i can control on my own rather then the undead obeying his commands

Doctor Despair
2020-11-17, 08:46 AM
Its more a problem of the amount of HD of undead i can control on my own rather then the undead obeying his commands

Might I also recommend creating/commanding a wight, and using the wight to create a lot of other spawn? They control an unlimited amount of spawn indefinitely, so you can conserve your control pool.

Dread Necromancer and charisma buffing can increase your amount of controlled undead

Gaining the Deathbound domain (Afflux only) makes your limit 3x caster level rather than 2x caster level

Using chain spell with Command Undead can give you a lot of undead per spell slot

Pale Master can give you the ability to create a lot of undead

Desecrate doubles the amount of undead you can control

There's more stuff, I'm sure, but these are some options.

Edit:

Oh, Undead Leadership can be good to retain more undead past your control limit

Also, have any living followers worship Attropus to get Elder Evil bonus feats, and work their way to Lichloved so that your mindless undead don't want to snack on them

Ruethgar
2020-11-17, 09:03 AM
Should be noted that there are two Undead Leaderships and Libris Morris doesn’t have anything about overwriting the earlier one from the Dead Life web article. The two feats are also a bit different in how they work so it’s somewhat reasonable to keep both. Maybe even snag Leadership, with Extra Followers.

DarkOne-Rob
2020-11-17, 09:12 AM
You could also consider manipulating the Undead according to their types. Mindless undead are generally pretty easy - find a way to point them in the right direction and let them go.

With intelligent undead, make yourself undead or undead-like, work the Diplomacy/Intimidate, and then treat it like you would managing a living army.

Biggus
2020-11-17, 11:08 AM
Rod of Undead Mastery (LM p.78) doubles the number of undead you can control.

Gaining the Deathbound domain (Afflux only) makes your limit 3x caster level rather than 2x caster level

Desecrate doubles the amount of undead you can control

Unfortunately these two only increase the amount of undead you can create, not control.

Doctor Despair
2020-11-17, 11:35 AM
Rod of Undead Mastery (LM p.78) doubles the number of undead you can control.

Unfortunately these two only increase the amount of undead you can create, not control.

Fair point. I forgot about the Rod, too. Into exile, I must go.

Troacctid
2020-11-17, 12:01 PM
I think the feat you're looking for is Undead Empathy (ECS).

Thurbane
2020-11-17, 04:31 PM
A spontaneous arcane caster can take the Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery feats from Dragon Compendium, which allows you to turn/rebuke undead 1/day. Not sure how useful that would be?

Song of the Dead (also from DC) is a +1 metamagic feat that lets mind-affecting spells work on intelligent undead.

Segev
2020-11-17, 04:54 PM
If you're trying to offload the total, then I recommend command undead and the Chain Spell feat to get a bunch of mindless undead for days at a time that won't count against your control caps.

If it's just that you want to assign minions to obey your lieutenant, ordering them to obey him as if he were you will do it.

deanratticus
2020-11-17, 07:06 PM
Not a feat, but this might be what you're looking for.

Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One undead creature; see text
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You cast your spell on the foul creature, and for a brief moment your own face appears atop its ruined body.

You empower the subject undead with the authority of command over undead in your control. The targeted undead must have Intelligence 5 or higher. Undead under your control obey the target undead as if it were you. You can give orders to the undead normally, superseding the orders of the subject of this spell. The number of undead you can control is increased by an amount equal to your caster level as long as the undead lieutenant is active. If the target undead creature is destroyed, the spell ends.

You can have only one undead lieutenant at any time.

If for some reason you don't have access to the spell, you can cast it out of an Eternal Wand (MIC p159, 10,900 gp) twice per day.

Is there a way to make it permenent, like with the permenency spell or something similar?
the spell itself seems to be exactly what i was looking for though

Doctor Despair
2020-11-17, 07:57 PM
Is there a way to make it permenent, like with the permenency spell or something similar?
the spell itself seems to be exactly what i was looking for though

You could extend it, I suppose, but it might be better to use Craft: Contingent Spell to put multiple copies on the general, each set to go off in sequence.

Alternatively, you could just meet up with them once each day to regroup

Alternatively, you could have one of your intelligent undead take levels in Heartfire Fanner, taking the Requiem feat, and using Prolong Passion to keep the effect going

Alternatively, you could use Wish to make it permanent probably