PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Domain - New Best Cleric Dip?

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 08:29 AM
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons, Cantrips, level 1 Spells, 300 ft darkvision (shareable for 1 hour), and forever advantage on initiative for 1 person. This is an absolutely amazing dip.

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 08:34 AM
It is good but with looking at the options as a whole it's hard to declare one as the best.
haven't seen one in actual play yet obviously but twilight actually looks solid as single class.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 08:35 AM
It is good but with looking at the options as a whole it's hard to declare one as the best.
haven't seen one in actual play yet obviously but twilight actually looks solid as single class.

Agreed that it is solid as a single class as well, but the amount that you can get from a dip is absolutely amazing.

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 08:45 AM
Peace is the real sleeper IMO.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-17, 09:00 AM
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons, Cantrips, level 1 Spells, 300 ft darkvision (shareable for 1 hour), and forever advantage on initiative for 1 person. This is an absolutely amazing dip. Is this the new Hexblade? :smalltongue:

Rara1212
2020-11-17, 09:04 AM
Hmm, still think Order is better for spellcasters. The free reaction attack for an ally you target with a spell(Heal, buff or even AoE dmg) is great. Especially since you get some great spells that do this(Healing Word & Bless)

But the Twilight bonuses still sound real good.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 09:11 AM
Is this the new Hexblade? :smalltongue:

I don't know if it's better than hexblade since it doesn't give Wisdom to attack, but it is amazingly front loaded.

Spiritchaser
2020-11-17, 09:14 AM
Wow I hadn’t got to the clerics yet.

300’ shareable Darkvision at level 1, no concentration, and repeatable at a reasonable price

That’s... just freaking amazing.

There will be some urban campaigns with party members who already have Darkvision where this will make no difference, but it’ll usually be very strong, and in one of my campaigns it’d be staggeringly potent.

It’s not like the other features are weak either

I’m not personally a great fan of playing clerics for RP reasons, but mechanically I like them, and this one takes the cake.

Too bad it didn’t have pass without trace... but there are other ways to get that...

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 09:20 AM
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons, Cantrips, level 1 Spells, 300 ft darkvision (shareable for 1 hour), and forever advantage on initiative for 1 person. This is an absolutely amazing dip.

I don't get why the Twilight domain got heavy armor training.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 09:29 AM
Wow I hadn’t got to the clerics yet.

300’ shareable Darkvision at level 1, no concentration, and repeatable at a reasonable price

That’s... just freaking amazing.

There will be some urban campaigns with party members who already have Darkvision where this will make no difference, but it’ll usually be very strong, and in one of my campaigns it’d be staggeringly potent.

It’s not like the other features are weak either

I’m not personally a great fan of playing clerics for RP reasons, but mechanically I like them, and this one takes the cake.

Too bad it didn’t have pass without trace... but there are other ways to get that...

Even if everyone else has darkvision, increasing that range from 60 to 300 is nothing to scoff at. In one of my campaigns we playing Mad Mage, 300 ft range would be amazing for almost anyone to have access to that

I don't either, but it will be fun to take advantage of.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-17, 09:34 AM
I don't get why the Twilight domain got heavy armor training. Because they just threw balance out the window; on second thought, maybe Mearls is back on the project. :smalltongue:

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 09:39 AM
Cleric armor proficiencies have never made sense. The good news is heavy armors mostly a side grade to medium.

Spiritchaser
2020-11-17, 09:45 AM
Even if everyone else has darkvision, increasing that range from 60 to 300 is nothing to scoff at. In one of my campaigns we playing Mad Mage, 300 ft range would be amazing for almost anyone to have access to that

Oh no doubt, that level of Darkvision is a game changer, but if I try hard enough I can imagine an all urban campaign with a party of half elves (or whatever) where it just wouldn’t matter at all

If I try hard enough.

Of course I neither play nor DM that type of campaign much so...

Eldariel
2020-11-17, 10:05 AM
Because they just threw balance out the window; on second thought, maybe Mearls is back on the project. :smalltongue:

TBF they'd already first done that with the PHB (we have like Champion and Battle Master, Assassin and Arcane Trickster in the same books) and then further with XGtE (of course, the most notorious being Hexblade which just clowns all the other Patrons and doesn't even make sense). So it's kind of established.

RogueJK
2020-11-17, 10:11 AM

Including Faerie Fire as a domain spell, one of the better 1st level spells in the game and one that most Clerics don't usually get. (Provided you have the WIS to make it stick, and you're not just going for minimum 13ish WIS for multiclassing purposes.)

Peace is the real sleeper IMO.

Agreed. 10 minute non-Concentration Bless+Guidance for Proficiency Bonus party members, usable Proficiency Bonus times per day.

You no longer have to choose between Bless and another Concentration spell.

Now I feel the need to play my Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X support build in another campaign, but sub in Peace for Life.

rooneg
2020-11-17, 10:54 AM

Agreed. It doesn't need it thematically and even without it this would still be an awesome dip.

Xervous
2020-11-17, 11:15 AM
Because they just threw balance out the window; on second thought, maybe Mearls is back on the project. :smalltongue:

If it’s broken it has to be plainly and simply broken. Can’t allow choice and complexity to attract toxic players now.

Check the front of the book for authors and contributors? Or is his name rubber stamped on everything?

Willie the Duck
2020-11-17, 12:19 PM
Is this the new Hexblade? :smalltongue:

More like the new Forge domain Cleric -- it has goodies which are valuable to someone, but whether it is better than others is an open question. Obviously if you don't have darkvision, and are in a campaign where that is a big deal (party doesn't already have someone throwing Light everywhere, DM omits disadvantage on Perception checks when using only Darkvision, etc.), and the 300' range is indeed a huge upgrade. The spells are good as well. Whether heavy armor (as opposed to medium) and martial weapons are at all important is going to be rather build-specific. I can see a lot of Cleric1/wizardX-1 builds still going Forge and lots of support Lore bards still going Life, but this is another arrow in the quiver of cleric dips.

Also another argument to me that the designers apparently consider the whole 'optional' tag on multiclassing to be a lot bigger of a deal than we (also apparently) do. Hexblade is still the ultimate example of this, but perhaps now Twilight Cleric is the penultimate.