PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A what weapon bypasses malebranches regeneration?

newguydude1
2020-11-17, 09:15 AM
hes got regen 8 but i cant find an entry that says what type weapon bypasses it.

Biggus
2020-11-17, 10:10 AM
I presume you're looking at the version in FCII? In MMII it says:

A malebranche takes normal damage from acid, and also from holy and blessed weapons of at least +3 enhancement.

They missed it off in the 3.5 version, I presume by accident. Obviously it's 3.0 so will need to be adapted slightly. Most likely "at least +3" just becomes magic, although you might want to add silver as well to make it of similar power (many devils have damage reduction/good and silver, so it seems the most logical choice for an extra requirement).

newguydude1
2020-11-17, 02:00 PM
I presume you're looking at the version in FCII? In MMII it says:

They missed it off in the 3.5 version, I presume by accident. Obviously it's 3.0 so will need to be adapted slightly. Most likely "at least +3" just becomes magic, although you might want to add silver as well to make it of similar power (many devils have damage reduction/good and silver, so it seems the most logical choice for an extra requirement).

mm2 has an update booklet

"Regeneration (Ex): A malebranche takes normal damage from acid, from holy weapons, and from attacks that deal holy damage."

so... do we just paste that into fcii or do we just say malabranche takes nonlethal damage from anything and everything?

Biggus
2020-11-17, 02:39 PM
mm2 has an update booklet

"Regeneration (Ex): A malebranche takes normal damage from acid, from holy weapons, and from attacks that deal holy damage."

so... do we just paste that into fcii or do we just say malabranche takes nonlethal damage from anything and everything?

Oh yeah, I didn't think to look there.

It seems very unlikely they'd intentionally make a CR14 monster impossible to kill; the Pit Fiend is much more powerful and there are ways to overcome its regeneration for example. It would hardly be the first time part of a stat block got missed off. So I'd say paste in the MM2 update.

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-19, 03:07 PM
I would also apply the MM2 update to the FC2 stat block, but it sucks that I wouldn't have known it exists without it being mentioned here. It's good that we still have an active community for D&D 3e/3.5 where we can get these kinds of answers.

Biggus
2020-11-19, 07:58 PM
I would also apply the MM2 update to the FC2 stat block

I think we may have a crossed wire here, FC2 is a 3.5 book, it came out after the MM2 update.

but it sucks that I wouldn't have known it exists without it being mentioned here. It's good that we still have an active community for D&D 3e/3.5 where we can get these kinds of answers.

Yeah, I'd be lost without this site, AFAIK it's the last active 3.5 community on the net. There's a couple of others I found which are theoretically still active but they get about two posts a month.

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-20, 01:12 AM
I would also apply the MM2 update to the FC2 stat block

I think we may have a crossed wire here, FC2 is a 3.5 book, it came out after the MM2 update.

No, I was stating my agreement to using the 3.5 stats from FC2 and applying the regeneration update from MM2's 3.5 update booklet. I'm not sure how you could have thought I meant anything else.

newguydude1
2020-11-20, 01:24 AM
No, I was stating my agreement to using the 3.5 stats from FC2 and applying the regeneration update from MM2's 3.5 update booklet. I'm not sure how you could have thought I meant anything else.

hes saying by raw you cant use anything from the mm2 update booklet. new stat blocks completely replace old ones.

Crake
2020-11-20, 02:45 AM
I would probably use Good aligned weapons and spells, like what most fiends have, instead of "holy damage", because holy damage isn't really a thing.

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-20, 10:55 AM
hes saying by raw you cant use anything from the mm2 update booklet. new stat blocks completely replace old ones.

I thought the whole issue of this thread was that the FC2 stats don't say what bypasses the regeneration? I'm just agreeing with the person who said to use the info from the MM2 update booklet, because otherwise that seems like an error.

It's not like we have to slavishly follow RAW when a sensible solution to an obvious problem presents itself.

I don't know why we're still discussing this. :smallconfused:

Biggus
2020-11-20, 11:38 AM

I thought the whole issue of this thread was that the FC2 stats don't say what bypasses the regeneration? I'm just agreeing with the person who said to use the info from the MM2 update booklet, because otherwise that seems like an error.

It's not like we have to slavishly follow RAW when a sensible solution to an obvious problem presents itself.

I misunderstood what you meant by "the FC2 stat block". I thought you meant "apply the MM2 updates to the entire malebranche stat block in FC2" not "apply it to the missing bit of text". Because of that, I thought that you must have thought that FC2 came out before the MM2 update came out.

newguydude1
2020-11-20, 07:21 PM

my dm "slavishly follow raw when a sensible solution to an obvious problem presents itself". hes raw or die.

I would probably use Good aligned weapons and spells, like what most fiends have, instead of "holy damage", because holy damage isn't really a thing.

arent there weapons and spells that deal holy damage?

Kish
2020-11-21, 12:34 AM
Sorta, but mostly no. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holySmite.htm)

You can extrapolate pretty easily that "this damages only evil creatures"--that spell, Smite Evil, the Holy Weapon effect--are what's meant by "holy damage," but that damage seems to be itself untyped.

Psyren
2020-11-21, 01:51 AM
my dm "slavishly follow raw when a sensible solution to an obvious problem presents itself". hes raw or die.

Then I suppose you'd better hope he doesn't use a malebranche against you?

hamishspence
2020-11-21, 01:59 AM
Sorta, but mostly no. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holySmite.htm)

You can extrapolate pretty easily that "this damages only evil creatures"--that spell, Smite Evil, the Holy Weapon effect--are what's meant by "holy damage," but that damage seems to be itself untyped.

The line "You draw down holy power to smite your enemies" would be enough for me to count it as holy damage, at least.

Some of the more esoteric regenerations out there don't need a specific type, but something more elaborate. "Weapon forged in a different time stream" for example (phanes from Epic Handbook).

Remuko
2020-11-21, 12:07 PM
The line "You draw down holy power to smite your enemies" would be enough for me to count it as holy damage, at least.

Some of the more esoteric regenerations out there don't need a specific type, but something more elaborate. "Weapon forged in a different time stream" for example (phanes from Epic Handbook).

one of my favorites, also from the ELH, is "forged by a sleepwalking blacksmith". (cant recall which creature this was for specifically though)

sreservoir
2020-11-21, 12:45 PM
Enough trollbane and planning will get around even regeneration that isn't bypassed by anything in particular!

one of my favorites, also from the ELH, is "forged by a sleepwalking blacksmith". (cant recall which creature this was for specifically though)

That's dream larvae.

newguydude1
2020-11-21, 02:33 PM
if you want to kill something with regeneration, just drown it after you knock it out.

InvisibleBison
2020-11-21, 04:02 PM

Tell your DM to re-read the "Adjudicating" section on p. 6 of the DMG - the DM is supposed to deviate from RAW when the RAW doesn't make sense.