PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Astral Self Monk Multiclassing

Nerdguy88
2020-11-17, 09:38 AM
I'm trying to figure out what would be a good multiclass with Monk or if you should even multiclass. I'm planning on making a Grung Monk and thought a dip into rogue for expertise might be good. I dont really have a plan or path set for this character yet but I believe its the one I will be taking into our next campaign.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 09:47 AM
I'm trying to figure out what would be a good multiclass with Monk or if you should even multiclass. I'm planning on making a Grung Monk and thought a dip into rogue for expertise might be good. I dont really have a plan or path set for this character yet but I believe its the one I will be taking into our next campaign.

My opinion is that if you start as a Monk, you generally want to stay a Monk. It's not that multiclassing can't be great, it's just that Monks get a ton of benefits from taking more Monk levels (and the Astral Self shows that big time). If it's for thematic/character concept reasons then go for it, though.

What would you want out of the multiclassing?

Nerdguy88
2020-11-17, 09:58 AM
What would you want out of the multiclassing?

That is what I'm trying to figure out. Tasha's just came out and I was looking over the class. I REALLY like the class thematically. Especially on a very tiny race. I'm mostly just looking for input on what would mesh well with its abilities.

Rogue - Expertise, Sneak Attack - While it wouldn't be a lot an extra 1d6 damage every now and again could help. Expertise in perception + 1 other would make it very hard for anything to ever sneak up on you with your already high WIS.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 10:08 AM
That is what I'm trying to figure out. Tasha's just came out and I was looking over the class. I REALLY like the class thematically. Especially on a very tiny race. I'm mostly just looking for input on what would mesh well with its abilities.

Rogue - Expertise, Sneak Attack - While it wouldn't be a lot an extra 1d6 damage every now and again could help. Expertise in perception + 1 other would make it very hard for anything to ever sneak up on you with your already high WIS.

Sneak Attack won't work with your Astral Self, and delaying your class features for a whole level isn't worth the Expertise IMO

If you want Expertise I'd advise you to use the Tasha's feat that allows you to get it. I have a blank on the name right now, maybe Skill Expert?

Nerdguy88
2020-11-17, 10:11 AM
Sneak Attack won't work with your Astral Self, and delaying your class features for a whole level isn't worth the Expertise IMO

Ah that is right I always forget about the finesse or ranged requirement. I am fairly certain my GM would still allow it though

If you want Expertise I'd advise you to use the Tasha's feat that allows you to get it. I have a blank on the name right now, maybe Skill Expert?

I had forgot about that. The abilities the astral self gets are pretty great so I can see how taking the feat would be better than a few level dip into rogue.

Hael
2020-11-17, 05:38 PM
Getting access to the hex spell would be pretty good, although you could get it in other ways than multiclassing.