PDA

View Full Version : Spellwrought Tattoo Vs Spell Scroll

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 10:19 AM
I get that magic items are only available when handed out by the DM, but how is this tattoo not infinitely better than a spell scroll?

Cantrips and Level 1s are common
Can't be stolen from you
No Class requirement to cast the spell

I feel these are going to get banned by lots of DMs for the sake of Find Familiar (or at least that one not allowed).

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 10:52 AM
It can only be used once though...

Artificers can now Replicate Magic Item any common item besides scrolls and options. That means they could replicate a common Spellwrought Tattoo once a day. That seems more powerful.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 10:56 AM
It can only be used once though...

Artificers can now Replicate Magic Item any common item besides scrolls and options. That means they could replicate a common Spellwrought Tattoo once a day. That seems more powerful.

Sure it can only be used once, but that's the same with scrolls. Also, that point has just given every artificer in existence a familiar all the time.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 10:59 AM
I get that magic items are only available when handed out by the DM, but how is this tattoo not infinitely better than a spell scroll?

Cantrips and Level 1s are common
Can't be stolen from you
No Class requirement to cast the spell

I feel these are going to get banned by lots of DMs for the sake of Find Familiar (or at least that one not allowed).

Unless I'm mistaken, all spellcasters can write spell scrolls, and there is no limit to how many scrolls you have aside from time and money.

The Spellwrought Tattoo is better but not infinitely better.

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:00 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, all spellcasters can write spell scrolls, and there is no limit to how many scrolls you have aside from time and money.

The Spellwrought Tattoo is better but not infinitely better.
But you can only write a scroll for a spell you know.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 11:03 AM
But you can only write a scroll for a spell you know.

What are the restrictions for the tattoo?

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:07 AM
Sure it can only be used once, but that's the same with scrolls. Also, that point has just given every artificer in existence a familiar all the time.
Muahaha! I might try this...

What are other good 1st level spells to have on hand?
Shield
Hunter's Mark
Hex
Goodberry

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 11:10 AM

Shield
Hunter's Mark
Hex
Goodberry

Although those aren't as good since it isn't a once only and then lasts forever. Still having an hour of hex every day is nothing to scoff at.

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 11:14 AM

Shield
Hunter's Mark
Hex
Goodberry

Other than filling spell books with rituals your best bet is to choose a spell that you know you're going to cast and has benefits that can last beyond that day.

Not to mention this is something that artificers are already good at later on when they receive reduced crafting time and costs.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 11:17 AM
Other than filling spell books with rituals your best bet is to choose a spell that you know you're going to cast and has benefits that can last beyond that day.

Everybody laughs until the BBEG shows up with a Spellwrought Tattoo of Wish.

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:17 AM

I don't think you could fill a spellbook with spells from tattoos, those have to be copied from scrolls and other spellbooks. Or was I misunderstanding you?

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:19 AM
Although those aren't as good since it isn't a once only and then lasts forever. Still having an hour of hex every day is nothing to scoff at.

Lol... What if an Artificer had a Ring of Spell Storing? Fill it up over 5 days from spells cast from tattoos! Muahaha...

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 11:19 AM
I don't think you could fill a spellbook with spells from tattoos, those have to be copied from scrolls and other spellbooks. Or was I misunderstanding you?

I was referring to artificers now being able to replicate scrolls.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 11:21 AM
Everybody laughs until the BBEG shows up with a Spellwrought Tattoo of Wish.

They are level 1-5 only. :smallsmile:

Silpharon
2020-11-17, 11:22 AM
I was referring to artificers now being able to replicate scrolls.

They can't replicate scrolls or potions, but they can replicate the Spellwrought Tattoo with cantrip or lvl 1 spells.

stoutstien
2020-11-17, 11:26 AM
They can't replicate scrolls or potions, but they can replicate the Spellwrought Tattoo with cantrip or lvl 1 spells.

Mea culpa. Just reread the changes. Who ever they hire to do translating needs an editor.

Unoriginal
2020-11-17, 11:58 AM
They are level 1-5 only. :smallsmile:

Then the BBEG is either very good at faking it or has found a way to bypass that limitation.

Both can be the premise for a great adventure.

nickl_2000
2020-11-17, 12:01 PM
Then the BBEG is either very good at faking it or has found a way to bypass that limitation.

Both can be the premise for a great adventure.

NPCs can cheat :smallbiggrin: