PDA

View Full Version : Optimization D&D 5e Powergamer's Tactics Room Deep Dive Series: Major Image

Bilbron
2020-11-17, 11:25 AM
Major Image is obviously very tricksy, but it has reliably powerful combat applications as well! Watch to learn how to gain a major advantage over your enemies.

9:26

https://youtu.be/CecQ0MSX1dI

Valmark
2020-11-17, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't say that creating fog and the like is sure to work like you said.

While I'd personally let it work the spell says that stuff passing through illusion reveals it as such- a DM could let an arrow pass through the illusion revealing it and still be tecnically correct according to the text, even if it's completely normal for an arrow to disappear in the fog.

Bilbron
2020-11-17, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't say that creating fog and the like is sure to work like you said.

While I'd personally let it work the spell says that stuff passing through illusion reveals it as such- a DM could let an arrow pass through the illusion revealing it and still be tecnically correct according to the text, even if it's completely normal for an arrow to disappear in the fog.
I agree that the DM can do whatever he likes, but I did provide the Sage Advice to support that interpretation.

Snivlem
2020-11-17, 12:22 PM
If you can create fog with major image (which i think you can), you can do the same with silent image. No reason to waste a third level slot :)

Bilbron
2020-11-17, 12:31 PM
If you can create fog with major image (which i think you can), you can do the same with silent image. No reason to waste a third level slot :)Yes, that part can be replicated, for sure. If that's all you want it for, Silent is sufficient. I don't have room for both in my prep list and prefer to go with the one that is much stronger on the utility side.

Gtdead
2020-11-17, 12:40 PM
I think Major Image is good for illusionists with malleable illusion but not so great for others when silent image can pretty be used for all the common tricks. For social situations it's fairly good due to it being able to talk but I wouldn't use it in combat.

As an illusionist, it's a completely different thing, especially with illusory reality. You get a permanent illusion that you can wear as a scarf or keep in your bag of holding if the DM rules that it doesn't move with you, and whenever you need it, you can create cover, use it to control an enemy by putting him into a box and a myriad other shenanigans that will drive the DM nuts.

Corran
2020-11-17, 02:55 PM
Yeah, putting my enemies at disadvantage while giving my allies advantage sounds great. It's like a darkness spell as if me and all my allies had a way to see through it, while enemies that rely on normal senses and are outside of the area of the illusion would not. With the difference that it does not move automatically, but instead requires an action (which of course you mentioned).

Great idea to have the familiar spend its action (spell storing) instead of us, for when moving the illusion is required. I am thinking that the spell shines in ranged combat scenarios, so moving it could be very worthwhile (to minimize the number of enemies who will see through it by entering it), even though that would use our action. But not having to commit our action is just great (especially for repelling blastlocks who would already be useful in this scenario anyway and also get this spell).

Great video! I never pay much attention to spells like major image, but I am now thinking this should change.

ps: I applaud the sponsor's sense of humor.

Kane0
2020-11-17, 03:04 PM
Bilbron if I may suggest a spin off series of videos:
Bad spell Academy
Instead of looking at the best spells, take mediocre or niche ones and explore how to get the most out of them.

I say this because good spells are often discussed at length, however when bad ones are it’s usually in the context of ‘how could this be houseruled to be better’ which is fine and also valuable content but I feel this may gove you a niche for yourself in the space.

Bilbron
2020-11-17, 07:13 PM
Bad spell Academy
Instead of looking at the best spells, take mediocre or niche ones and explore how to get the most out of them.

I say this because good spells are often discussed at length, however when bad ones are it’s usually in the context of ‘how could this be houseruled to be better’ which is fine and also valuable content but I feel this may gove you a niche for yourself in the space.

Ha ha, love it! I will definitely think about this angle, thanks! I am definitely not a houserule but a use-the-rule kind of guy, so that could be very interesting!

Corran
2020-11-18, 10:13 AM
Maybe major image has some niche uses in exploration too. While I dont suppose it can do something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkV8WE7DFA), it could be used like a mass invisibility spell in the right environment (eg open and unlit areas of the Underdark).

x3n0n
2020-11-18, 10:27 AM
Ha ha, love it! I will definitely think about this angle, thanks! I am definitely not a houserule but a use-the-rule kind of guy, so that could be very interesting!

I know you love Wizards, but other places to consider "how to make the best of what you have" are the auto-prepared lists for Cleric domains, Paladin oaths, and some Druid circles.

Similarly, low-level spells that one might be tempted to retrain (known) or stop preparing at higher levels, but are really still worth it.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-11-18, 11:17 AM
Bad spell Academy

I loved the idea! And in some videos Bilbron already showed us some spells considered subpar like Catapult that can be really useful with Nets, Acids, Alchemists Fire and such.