PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Oddball, for when you want to play as a monster.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-11-17, 03:28 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zpCoRBTe9yj2p0l3B4W2v3YtnRMdTE3oWpqDLkMglWE/edit?usp=drivesdk

So this is an ongoing project that I will be updating frequently (until I run out of ideas), but the idea of it is fairly simple I like kaiju movies and always wanted to play as a monster this class is going to be the one stop shop for any monster character when it's done (at least that's the plan) so I would really like help with balancing it.

noob
2020-11-19, 02:17 PM
The varied trees of attack options are non synergetic with each other thus encouraging player to stick with one tree and possibly getting a venom (optional because of the action cost)
Furthermore the variations between the trees are not extremely interesting: claws gets more attacks, tentacles gets grapple and spit is ranged but there is a lot of powers that have a variant for each tree.
The ones that are variant of extra attack are likely forced picks but are also written in such a way you can not know to which action they are added so their effect is unclear.
I suggest to remove the extra attack mutations and instead add extra attack to the class itself(possibly give one less mutation to compensate or something) because it is not as if the player was going to not pick them.
Likewise for all the bonus action attack picks: add "you might make a single extra attack as a bonus action" to the base class itself for removing mutation clutter.

Calming presence prevents all the fights ever if you are a diplomatic person: there is a reason why 5e removed initial encounter friendliness boosts.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-11-20, 12:22 AM
The varied trees of attack options are non synergetic with each other thus encouraging player to stick with one tree and possibly getting a venom (optional because of the action cost)
Furthermore the variations between the trees are not extremely interesting: claws gets more attacks, tentacles gets grapple and spit is ranged but there is a lot of powers that have a variant for each tree.
The ones that are variant of extra attack are likely forced picks but are also written in such a way you can not know to which action they are added so their effect is unclear.
I suggest to remove the extra attack mutations and instead add extra attack to the class itself(possibly give one less mutation to compensate or something) because it is not as if the player was going to not pick them.
Likewise for all the bonus action attack picks: add "you might make a single extra attack as a bonus action" to the base class itself for removing mutation clutter.

I might swap adrenaline rush for an extra attack and remove a mutation from the capstone then.

Calming presence prevents all the fights ever if you are a diplomatic person: there is a reason why 5e removed initial encounter friendliness boosts.

Would restricting the hostile to nuetral to only affect beasts be enough to fix it?

noob
2020-11-20, 01:28 AM
I might swap adrenaline rush for an extra attack and remove a mutation from the capstone then.

That change would delay the extra attack a lot: right now your class benefits from extra attack at level 5.
What would keep the class equivalent to what it is now is removing the fifth level combat mutation and giving extra attack at that level.

Would restricting the hostile to nuetral to only affect beasts be enough to fix it?

Restraining it to beasts would indeed solve it being an universal solution.

yarrowdeathbloo
2020-11-20, 03:05 PM
That change would delay the extra attack a lot: right now your class benefits from extra attack at level 5.
What would keep the class equivalent to what it is now is removing the fifth level combat mutation and giving extra attack at that level.
I feel like I just got the class's early progretion where I want it (minus a few odd bits) so I don't want to ruin that is the thing, that being said level 11 looks like a good level to make that change.