PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Doing a lot with a little

liquidformat
2020-11-17, 03:47 PM
So assuming 32 point buy, up to two flaws, with all official books allowed as well as mags, no gestalt, only LA 0 races, no PRCs that get 9th level spells (Ur-priest, Divine Crusader, and so forth), and ignoring the power of things like leadership feat what is the most powerful build you can come up with using tier (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?600635-Why-each-class-is-in-its-tier-2019-update!) 5 and 6 base classes?

You can use any mixed of tier 5 and 6 base classes and prcs besides the ones noted above.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-11-17, 04:04 PM
Kalashtar soulknife/soulbow using Ancestral Relic to either boost your mindblade or soul arrows is a pretty decent way to go.

Or, y'know, monk (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863).

ShurikVch
2020-11-17, 04:18 PM
Truenamer 20 with Conjunctive Gate? Done?

Ruethgar
2020-11-18, 11:03 AM
Pun Pun is a paladin, so T5.

Sculpt Self abuse is my preferred way to build a T5/6 though.

Kalkra
2020-11-18, 01:35 PM
Be a gnome, Forest Gnome maybe.

1 Magewright 1 Earth Sense, Heighten Spell (flaw), Earth Spell (flaw)
2 Magewright 2
3 Magewright 3 Iron Will
4 Magewright 4
5 Magewright 5
6 Mage of the Arcane Order 1 Cooperative Casting
7 Incantatrix 1 Fortify Spell
8 Incantatrix 2
9 Shadowcraft Mage 1 Spell Focus (Illusion)
10 Shadowcraft Mage 2
11 Shadowcraft Mage 3
12 Shadowcraft Mage 4 Residual Magic
13 Incantatrix 3
14 Incantatrix 4 Extend Spell
15 Incantatrix 5 Persist Spell
16 Incantatrix 6
17 Incantatrix 7 Empower Spell
18 Incantatrix 8 Arcane Thesis (Silent Image)
19 Incantatrix 9
20 Incantatrix 10 Invisible Spell

This build can probably be improved. I spent a while on it, and revised it a lot, so there could be some things that fell through the cracks. I also tried to make it with as little cheese as possible, ignoring the fact that the whole build is immensely cheesy. If your DM allows Otyugh Hole and feat retraining/chaos shuffle things get easier, Tainted Sorcerer/Scholar and Eldritch Corruption are nice, and you can probably find some PrC you can enter within your first 5 levels for added value. There's also a bunch of stuff in Dragon Magazine, like War Magic Study, Easy Metamagic and Forceful Magic, the Mystic, and a ton of other stuff.

War Magic Study in particular is insanely good with ScM, and if you can take it, you should.

It's not clear to me if you get any spells known when you progress Magewright casting with a PrC, but the wording makes it seem like you should. That being said, it doesn't matter that much.

I'll also mention that I'm not sure you can qualify for a PrC with a feat you take that level. If you can't that changes things a bit, although not that much if you can retrain feats or use an Otyugh Hole.

Anyway, it's a Shadowcraft Mage/Incantatrix build. Mage of the Arcane Order gets Silent Image and any Illusion (Shadow) spell, plus any other 1st-3rd level Wiz/Sor spell from the PHB, and Residual Magic lets you apply free Heightening to every other spell you cast, by RAW up to 9th level (10th with Earth Spell), but even if it's just as much as you did before, it's still good. Shadowcraft Mage lets you use Earth Spell to mimic any Wiz/Sor Evocation, Conjuration (Creation), and Conjuration (Summoning) spell, and boosts your caster level. Incantatrix lets you Persist all the 1st-3rd level spells you get from the Spellpool, plus all your mimicked spells, and eventually just apply all the metamagic for free, essentially.
it's
It's a very powerful build, limited only in the lack of good spells to Persist, and the fact that you only get 5th-level spell slots.