PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Psychic Warrior + Soul Knife = How many Psionic Energy Dice?

Citadel97501
2020-11-17, 07:47 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if you would end up getting your proficiency x 4 in psionic energy dice? These are two separate classes providing the same mechanic, which makes me think no, however fighting styles are additive so I assume I am missing a rule somewhere?

Emongnome777
2020-11-17, 08:29 PM
I can't say by RAW, but I'd say that you get your 2 x PB for each class and you need to keep the amount separate by class. This means you can't use dice from one to use powers from the other. Again, not RAW, but without a specific statement in the rules about things not stacking (such as with extra attacks), that'd be how I would rule.

Dark.Revenant
2020-11-17, 10:17 PM
It's a same-named feature and resource, which we have precedent for working cross-class, so dice from one subclass are usable with the other.

The text says "you have a number of these dice equal to twice your proficiency bonus", (emphasis mine) which unlike the "gain" keyword, implies that stacking is not allowed. The number is twice your proficiency bonus, full stop.

The size is whatever the best size is between your class levels. You can use any of the features with your dice, regardless of which class you have more levels in.

Arguably, you can use the "regain one expended psionic Energy die" feature twice per short or long rest. RAW does not explicitly prohibit you from using the feature twice, but almost all the time this type of situation results in a designer clarifying "no, you can't."

pdegan2814
2020-11-17, 10:35 PM
I'm guessing RAI is for a single pool of Psionic Energy Dice, shared between the two subclasses, which is why it grows based on Prof. Bonus not based on level like the Battlemaster. The could have been more explicit about it, though.