PDA

View Full Version : How to build a guard for a far realm prison?

Rfkannen
2020-11-18, 12:17 AM
In my gm's setting there is a Giant prison in the far realm, it is owned by a Giant yog sothoth style tentacle monster who will imprison anyone as long as a client will pay them enough souls to do it, and the prisoner is successfully brought to the prison. The prison mostly keeps gods and demigods, archfiends and solars. Extremely powerful beings of both good and evil.

The current bbeg is trying to break an evil demigod out of the prison, and because of some bad plays on our part the demigod is probably going to escape, and my current character is probably going to get stuck in the far realm prison forever (Hoping to avoid both possibilities, but best to plan for the worst)

I had an idea for a backup character, but I am not sure how to build them.

So the prison does have custodians and guards of varies different species that keep the prison running in exchange for magical power and immortality. My idea is that although the bbeg's plan means the eldritch horror won't notice the prison break, there was one lone guard who does notice the escape, and decides to leave the far realm to capture the escapee.

Some fun things about this character: 1) I really like the idea of playing with the blue and orange morality, their worldview is based entirely off of client business relationships, the person who hires them is good, the enemy of the client is evil. The contract is god. They aren't really interested in normal human morality. 2) They will be level 13, and where they are from level 13 is super weak, but in the material plane they are suddenly stronger than 99% of people (at least in this setting), I think it would be fun to have them not notice how weak most people are.

Problem is that i am not sure what race or class fits.

Race could really be anything, but something that fits the far realm theme would be good:

Main class ideas:

Order cleric; I like the idea that this character has a lot of debuff and controll spells which this would give. Problem is that the Eldritch abomination thing doesn't really care about order, but that's all fluff.
Aberrant mind sorcerer: REALLY gets the far realm theme across which I like, not sure if they get enough cc though.
Some sort of paladin: considering their whole morality thing with only caring about contracts, I think paladin fits.
Warlock: same reason as paladin.

Any ideas? How would you build them?

Houster
2020-11-18, 05:07 AM
The way I see it, the far realm is really out of mortals conception and understanding in any way. So the only races I can think of are genasi, aasimar, tiefling, and warforged. Meaning races that may have grown in the plains and can bear the insanity of the far realm, or just a robot(warforged) who does not go insane.
Class-wise:old one warlock comes to mind, whispers bard and all the psi wizard/rogue/fighter UA because of the far realm theme.
Gloom stalker is reasonable as well.
Horizon walker really fits that planar guard theme, being trained so you can face any creature from realms not materiel plain.
Knowledge cleric of the mind flayer god(forgot his name) has this mind control theme that fits the far realm.
Oath breaker paladin who broke his oath for power from that creature(maybe warlock mc?) to do what he needs/wants.

Oh and the contract thing is really infernal lawful evil thinking, so maybe fiend warlock.
But that morality can fit to every character that is putting profit above all else, in the frame of some laws(that are only there so he can profit more).

Naanomi
2020-11-18, 07:26 AM
Cosmologically, that sounds too ‘normal’ for the Far Realm. Beings of that place have no souls, have no interest in them... beings from the Great Wheel don’t survive ‘hanging out there’; even Gods wouldn’t survive being trapped there in any meaningful sense. It is a more incomprehensible and alien place than that.

If such a scheme were in place, the prison would have to be in a Far Realm adjacent demiplane (perhaps one run by a powerful aberration; or infected with a cerebrotic blot; or both); and its guardians would have to be either denizens of the Far Realm or so horribly mutated/twisted as to be indistinguishable from them and their original form pretty inconsequential.

If I were making a character around such a theme; I’d look at Aberrant Mind sorcerer or Old One Warlock (patron is the entity keeping the prison)... Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, or Abjurationist all make good Planar Prison Guards as well... racially: Kalashtar maybe, or Warforged (fluffed as ‘used to be a human but lost their body and was stuffed into a more resistant inorganic form). Elves have fluff ties to the Far Realm as well reaching back to the place’s first appearance in DND (The Gates of Firestorm Peak) so perhaps and elven/half-elven character? I’d probably also fluff them as ‘guards at the gate’; never entering the prison that would destroy them themselves