PDA

View Full Version : Four Spare Skill Points; What Should I Spend Them On?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-11-18, 01:31 AM
Yeah, thanks to a feat I've got 4 extra skillpoints to play with for one level only. All the skills the character already has ranks in are already maxed. Where's the best place to put the spares? Currently leaning towards 1 point in several Knowledge skills just to be able to make the checks.

aglondier
2020-11-18, 01:35 AM
Play to your stat bonuses.

Venger
2020-11-18, 02:19 AM
What is your class breakdown? What skills do you have access to as class skills? What skills specifically do you already have maxed? Do you have special access to any extra skills somehow? (racial sub levels, oa noble families, etc) Are there any taxes you have to pay to enter prcs later? What kind of skills does your character typically use during play?

rel
2020-11-18, 04:11 AM
If you take a point from somewhere else you can get a skill synergy.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-11-18, 04:31 AM
You could spend two on a skill trick.

Glimbur
2020-11-18, 08:28 AM
Dump them into autohypnosis. There are several useful effects in there at flat DC's. You can probably pick up some floating bonuses to skills later on so you can just get some temp hp each day, it's better odds on stabilizing as you bleed out, and you can memorize stuff. Handy skill.

KillianHawkeye
2020-11-19, 03:02 PM
It would probably be helpful to know what skills you haven't invested in.

InvisibleBison
2020-11-19, 03:50 PM
You could pick up a couple extra languages.

Fouredged Sword
2020-11-19, 04:47 PM
Take a look at "must have half rank" skills and consider dropping a cross class point.

The single best skill to put 1 points, even cross class, is UMD if you don't already have points in it. Just the flat ability to roll UMD checks to activate magic items opens up a world of tools for your character. You can scrounge together bonuses with items to make the skill usefull, but you need at least half a rank to use it at all.

Tumble is similar, but less powerful. A half rank can suddenly be relevant even in the late game because it's a yes/no check to even attempt a tumble check.

rrwoods
2020-11-19, 06:31 PM
I'll echo needing more context. Others have mentioned things like current skill investment and class, along with a couple generally-useful outs for skill points like Autohypnosis or tricks. However, to really get a good answer to your question, the main thing we need to know is this:

Who is your character?

What role does your character play in the party? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Are there particular strengths you want to amplify or weaknesses you're feeling you need to shore up? What is your character's story (both backstory and current arc)? What race and class(es) are they? What are their ability scores? Answering these questions and others like them gives us the context needed to get a grasp of the answer to the previous question, which in turn gives us the context needed to answer yours.

(The "easy" answer is Autohypnosis or skill tricks, though :P )

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-11-19, 09:20 PM
Uh, I'd love to give more information for this character, but it's for an upcoming optimization contest and would kind of give the game away as to who created the character.

mabriss lethe
2020-11-19, 09:35 PM
Without knowing what skills you already possess and at least an idea for what you want the character to do, there really isn't any sound advice to give other than at the most basic level.

-Take an exotic skill you lack, cross class if you have to
-Take a skill trick you qualify for
- Fill out a few ranks of generically useful class skills you haven't maxed.
- Profession (sailor), (Miner) or (siege engineer)
- Pick up some new languages

Telonius
2020-11-19, 11:20 PM
I always try to have 5 ranks in Balance (to prevent things like Grease from making me flat-footed), but some builds and classes make that harder (and easier to forget). So I'd start putting ranks in that if you haven't already.

Venger
2020-11-20, 02:09 AM
Seconding 5 ranks in balance. Aside from the bevy of options mentioned, put some points into something offering synergy bonuses with skills you have maxed to get the +2.