PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on interpretation attached to some of Tasha's Items?

Bilbron
2020-11-18, 01:57 AM
There are several new items for wizards which are spellbooks filled with powerful spells of a certain flavor, that contain the following verbiage:

"If you spend 1 minute studying the book, you can expend 1 charge to replace one of your prepared wizard spells with a different spell in the book"

RAW, it makes no reference to levels. So technically I could exchange, say, I could exchange a Detect Magic for a Foresight.

What says the crowd? Intended to work RAW, or is it an obvious wording error that violates RAI?

GeoffWatson
2020-11-18, 02:00 AM
You'd still need a 9th level spell slot, so I don't see the issue.

MrCharlie
2020-11-18, 02:01 AM
There are several new items for wizards which are spellbooks filled with powerful spells of a certain flavor, that contain the following verbiage:

"If you spend 1 minute studying the book, you can expend 1 charge to replace one of your prepared wizard spells with a different spell in the book"

RAW, it makes no reference to levels. So technically I could exchange, say, I could exchange a Magic Missile for a Gate or Foresight.

What says the crowd? Intended to work RAW, or is it an obvious wording error that violates RAI?
Well, you don't prepare spells based on levels to begin with, so sure. You could prepare all 9th level spells if you wanted. It would be a mistake, but sure.

Edit: Also, of course, you can't cast the spell if you don't have slots, so it should be fine. If you can find a way to do that we have a problem.

Bilbron
2020-11-18, 02:02 AM
You'd still need a 9th level spell slot, so I don't see the issue.

The point is that RAW you don't need a 9th level slot. You can use any of your prepared slots for any spell in the book. You can swap 1st for 9th.

MrCharlie
2020-11-18, 02:02 AM
The point is that RAW you don't need a 9th level slot. You can use any of your prepared slots for any spell in the book. You can swap 1st for 9th.
Yeah, and then not cast it, because you don't have 9th level slots to cast the spell. You have a 9th level prepared but no way to use it.

Bilbron
2020-11-18, 02:03 AM
Yeah, and then not cast it, because you don't have 9th level slots to cast the spell. You have a 9th level prepared but no way to use it.
Ah, right, makes sense. My bad.

GeoffWatson
2020-11-18, 03:44 AM
One way to access higher level spells is with rituals - you only need them prepared and don't need a slot to cast them.

BamBam
2020-11-18, 03:54 AM
one way to access higher level spells is with rituals - you only need them prepared and don't need a slot to cast them.

not true!!

Willie the Duck
2020-11-18, 09:05 AM

Intended to work as RAW. Your 17th level caster, who for some reason over-prepared low-level spells, quite possibly wants to swap one out for another 9th leveler when they realize the one they did prepare won't come up today. That seems entirely reasonable, given that such a caster already had the option to prepare almost all high- or all low-level spells anyways. As to the 1st level caster who wants to swap out Magic Missile for a Meteor Swarm they can't cast, woopdy doo.

Unoriginal
2020-11-18, 09:32 AM
As to the 1st level caster who wants to swap out Magic Missile for a Meteor Swarm they can't cast, woopdy doo.

Yeah, even Rincewind could actually cast the super-spell that got in his mind.

That being said, by the rules you don't need to have the relevently-leveled spell slot to scribe a spell.