PDA

View Full Version : Fortune Teller Build

Rakoa
2020-11-18, 12:11 PM
What would be the best build to emulate the feel of one that can see the future? Most divination spells are pretty lackluster, or else spread across too many class lists, in my honourable opinion.

What do you guys recommend? Tasha's content is on the table.

Snowbluff
2020-11-18, 12:15 PM
The Diviner is a classic choice, but the new Stars druid has fortune abilities. Similarly, a bard's inspiration abilities can be refluffed as fortune telling.

solidork
2020-11-18, 12:32 PM
They added Augury and Divination to the Wizard spell list in a UA, but I'm not sure if that made it into Tasha's. That was pretty much the only thing holding a divination wizard back from being the clear cut best for this theme in my mind.

Unoriginal
2020-11-18, 12:56 PM
What would be the best build to emulate the feel of one that can see the future? Most divination spells are pretty lackluster, or else spread across too many class lists, in my honourable opinion.

What do you guys recommend? Tasha's content is on the table.

How far in the future?

Naanomi
2020-11-18, 01:06 PM
Knowledge Cleric is pretty divination ready... and a lot of the divination fortune telling is ritual casting friendly, so warlock with a tome can do it pretty well also. Lore Bards can do anything of course

RogueJK
2020-11-18, 01:17 PM
Divination Wizard is the obvious choice.

A good alternate if you want to play a traditional tarot card/crystal ball fortune teller with some abilities specifically tied to that (beyond just a Diviner with that added flavor) would be UA College of Spirits Bard with the Ritual Caster Wizard or Ritual Caster Cleric feat for access to the Divination Rituals.

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_Subclasses04.pdf

They added Augury and Divination to the Wizard spell list in a UA, but I'm not sure if that made it into Tasha's. That was pretty much the only thing holding a divination wizard back from being the clear cut best for this theme in my mind.

It did. They now have access to both.

Rakoa
2020-11-18, 01:57 PM
Divination Wizard is the obvious choice.

A good alternate if you want to play a traditional tarot card/crystal ball fortune teller with some abilities specifically tied to that (beyond just a Diviner with that added flavor) would be UA College of Spirits Bard with the Ritual Caster Wizard or Ritual Caster Cleric feat for access to the Divination Rituals.

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_Subclasses04.pdf

It did. They now have access to both.

That's an amazing UA! I can't believe I haven't heard of it before, and I'm heartbroken it hasn't been made official. If my DM won't allow it, Divination Wizard with the expanded Tasha spells and Ritual Caster: Cleric seems the best way to go.

Star Druid is kind of cool, but it is a bit heavy on the firepower for my theme idea. The Tarot stuff sounds awesome.

RogueJK
2020-11-18, 02:02 PM
If my DM won't allow it, Divination Wizard with the expanded Tasha spells and Ritual Caster: Cleric seems the best way to go.

Ritual Caster Cleric is not really needed on a Wizard any more, now that they've been given Augury and Divination from Tasha's.

Commune is now the only Divination ritual that Clerics get but Wizards don't.

solidork
2020-11-18, 02:07 PM
That's an amazing UA! I can't believe I haven't heard of it before, and I'm heartbroken it hasn't been made official. If my DM won't allow it, Divination Wizard with the expanded Tasha spells and Ritual Caster: Cleric seems the best way to go.

I'm not sure Ritual Caster: Cleric is worth it now that all it gets you is Commune. Before you needed it to get Augury and Divination as well, so it was worth it.

Like, we have a homebrew class in our game that is all about seeing the future and the class feature that gives him Commune 1/day is very interesting on that character because he can commune with his future self and he sees visions of potential futures. Without that, its not quite so interesting for this theme.

Rakoa
2020-11-18, 02:23 PM
Oh, damn. Nice. Even better! That opens up some more race/feat options, for sure.

I'll have to play around with some options tonight. I'll post a rough build here later, for critiquing.