PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Judging Homebrewed Monster

mehs
2020-11-18, 10:41 PM
I got challenged to make stats for a horrific mutated bear centaur thing. Jokingly Challenged, but still.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/739278661118590976/778809559691165716/1d95b97.jpg?width=435&height=663

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2344511

This is what I came up with. I listed it as CR 11, but it might be a bit too strong? What do you think?

I didn't give it claw attacks because those claws look pretty ineffectual at that point.

If peeps are having difficulty accessing the sheet, please tell me and advise how to fix.

Backstory is that it was a dire bear that lived near a conflux of leylines or such. This made it a magical beast with a massive vitality, regeneration and such. But then it got poisoned by either radiation or abyssal energies, which corrupted the regeneration into a mass of tumors. Possible advancements is making it a half-fiend, which would make its regeneration almost unstoppable. Possibly shift its regen to regen 10/good. It is really meant for hit and run/"terrorize the country side" style tactics, as it theoretically gets half a level every 5-10 days that it is in active combat.

Explanation, a mechanic of its regeneration is that it takes 1 point of constitution damage and 1 point of dexterity drain for each 50 points that its regeneration heals it. When it heals/is healed of 10 points of constitution damage, then it gains a hit dice and is healed of all ability drain.

So the regeneration is making it more and more tumorous... until it grows and extra leg or such and is able to move normally and is just much bigger now.

Note: It was made with elephant in the room feat taxes, so it has power attack and such, just as an unstatted "everyone has it" thing.

mehs
2020-11-19, 11:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is a good monster, too strong, on par for cr, other, any feedback? Any advice on where else i would go for feedback?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-11-20, 04:45 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is a good monster, too strong, on par for cr, other, any feedback? Any advice on where else i would go for feedback?

Analyzing this stuff isn't my strongsuit, but you'd probably have better luck on the Homebrew forum.

ParasocialTroop
2020-11-20, 02:14 PM
I'm looking at the "Troll Render" on the PFSRD.

It is CR 10. Does claw/claw/bite and has regen, so it seems like a good comparison.

It has similar to hit for it's attacks, but does a lot less damage per hit. That is not counting power attack, if you throw that in, then it's around 3-4 less to hit than bearbearbearbeeear, but similar damage per hit. The troll does get a rend if all it's stuff hits, so that would add damage as well. The troll is large, so with your reduced reach they've got the same reach. Offensively it seems similar, at a cursory glance.

Defensivly, the troll has the same AC. The troll has much less Hp and only 5 regen not 10. Also, it is common knowledge for what stops a troll's regen so that's a consideration is would PC's be able to know how to knock out the regen. Some of the feats are defensive as well, the biting hide. Defensively it seems stronger than the CR 10 troll but not like crazy.

The feats of being good at grabbing can make it a killer though. The wrong party comp could get stuck in all those bear mouths and just keep getting chomped.

I have no idea how to evaluate the stuff about gaining hit-dice. Is that supposed to only be inbetween combats?

When my players get to lvl 11 they'll be able to do 232 points of damage to something like that in a few rounds (one round if they really try), and if you leave it at fire/acid for the regen, then that's manageable by most parties too. But if they're divided in attention and it gets on people with bad grapple, it could really do some damage. So, CR 11 doesn't seem crazy to me, but I'd probably bump it to 12 or 13 to match book CRs.

mehs
2020-11-20, 05:40 PM
Yeah, It is meant for some sort of raze the country side type combat, as in too heavy combat, It would be immobilized by the dexterity drain if it took 550 damage before it could heal 10 con damage over the course of 5-10 days. So it attacks random outposts, gets damaged or driven off, gets steadily weaker, until... it recovers and gets even stronger. It doesn't have an actual escape ability though, other than 40 ft move speed and 20 ft climb speed, so its main escape is people not being confident enough in pursuing it.

vasilidor
2020-11-20, 11:39 PM
seems to be about right to me. while I have had level 11 characters who could solo such a creature, those where over optimised characters where the DM was liberal with the treasure. I can see a more average, or casually built, parties having some trouble. and that is generally what the game is designed for.

mehs
2020-11-21, 10:37 PM
Eh, it is more of supposed to be a boss monster for a group of level 8-9's, which is why i put it at cr 11. Upon feedback, probably cr 12. In a proper storyline, it would start at 12 hd instead of 16, and accrue to 16 by the time the players corner it.