PDA

View Full Version : Magic items for a Monk/Druid

elyktsorb
2020-11-19, 01:01 AM
What are some good magic items a Open Hand Monk (10)/Land Druid (4) would want to get? (Aside from the obvious Bracers of Defense) I've been given the option of a Rare Quality or lower magic item to receive as part of a quest reward.

Falconcry
2020-11-19, 01:40 AM
https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/ruins-wake is OK I guess ...

More seriously I would suggest something like a Ring of Free Action https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/ring-of-free-action

sithlordnergal
2020-11-19, 02:36 AM
Staff of the Woodlands is pretty good, it functions as a +2 quarterstaff, you have a 0 cost Pass Without Trace, and some decent spells in it too. Staff of Withering can be pretty nice too, giving you a bonus 2d10 necrotic damage on a hit. Both of those items are Rare.

If at all possible, ask your DM if you can have a Very Rare cursed item instead, since it is cursed. If they say yes, take the Spear of Backbiting. Its a +2 spear where, if you throw it, it deals double the damage dice and immediately returns to your hands. But if you roll a 1, you make an attack roll against yourself with advantage and you have disadvantage using weapons other than this one.

Wraith
2020-11-19, 03:36 AM
There are some pretty good Ioun Stones for both Monks and Druids, if you want to keep things simple. Awareness (Can't be surprised), Absorption ('Counterspell' on level 4 or lower spells that target you), Reserve (Can store spells and cast from the item) and the various +STR, +DEX, +CON stones are all Very Rare or better.

Since you're more Monk than Druid and thus don't have the focus on wildshaping, you probably can't go wrong with Winged Boots to get after enemies who stubbornly refuse to come within punchin' range. :smallsmile:

Porcupinata
2020-11-19, 05:26 AM
If you have the new Tasha's book, you might want to check out some of the magical tattoos - although you'll need to confirm with your DM whether or not tattoos continue to function when you're wildshaped.

elyktsorb
2020-11-19, 11:54 AM
There are some pretty good Ioun Stones for both Monks and Druids, if you want to keep things simple. Awareness (Can't be surprised), Absorption ('Counterspell' on level 4 or lower spells that target you), Reserve (Can store spells and cast from the item) and the various +STR, +DEX, +CON stones are all Very Rare or better.

Since you're more Monk than Druid and thus don't have the focus on wildshaping, you probably can't go wrong with Winged Boots to get after enemies who stubbornly refuse to come within punchin' range. :smallsmile:

I was pretty much looking for something to buff my to hit, or damage I think for the most part, either that or just general good stuff to have, Ring of Freedom is pretty good option for me. Was also looking at the Cloak of Displacement.

BarneyBent
2020-11-20, 02:29 AM
Staff of the Woodlands for free Awaken with a casting time of 1 action.

nickl_2000
2020-11-20, 08:07 AM
-Staff of the Woodlands is hard to beat for any melee Druid at that rarity.
-Cloak/Ring of Protection is always a nice bonus
-Belt of Hill Giant Strength, it's an odd choice but 21 strength can apply to all attacks
-Eldritch Claw Tattoo
-Gamblers Blade (+3 to attacks and damage with a curse)
-Mantle of Spell Resistance
-Necklace of prayer beads

Hal
2020-11-20, 08:43 AM
The Gulthias Staff (from Curse of Strahd) is a very strong choice, albeit one with flavor that might make it setting specific. (Also, it comes off as pretty evil.)

The short version is that you spend a charge to heal yourself the damage you deal with a strike, but then you make a DC12 Wisdom saving throw or get afflicted with short term madness. That's a pretty nasty setback, but with really good healing to back it up.