PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A simulacrum and creature size

newguydude1
2020-11-19, 02:05 AM
lets say a 18 hd creature is large and the same creature advanced to 36hd is huge.

if i make a simulacrum of the 36hd version, is its size reduced to large?

and dragons, do i get a younger dragon if i make a dragon simulacrum?
same with elementals.

size is directly proportional to hd right? so if hd is cut in half, its size is also likewise reduced if its advancement entry says so right?

Crake
2020-11-19, 02:57 AM
Considering simulacrum says " It appears to be the same as the original" I would say it pretty definitively does not reduce in size. The only things that are changed due to reduced HD according to the spell are "the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD". So ability scores and size are not included.

newguydude1
2020-11-19, 03:20 AM
Considering simulacrum says " It appears to be the same as the original" I would say it pretty definitively does not reduce in size. The only things that are changed due to reduced HD according to the spell are "the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD". So ability scores and size are not included.

but the language says its hd is halved. and some stats are reduced as a result. i dont think that list is exclusive. doesnt say only the such and such are reduced. so everything affected by hd is affected along with these other things even if the instructions are redundant.

Crake
2020-11-19, 03:32 AM
but the language says its hd is halved. and some stats are reduced as a result. i dont think that list is exclusive. doesnt say only the such and such are reduced. so everything affected by hd is affected along with these other things even if the instructions are redundant.

I mean, it feels fairly exclusive. It doesn't use any sort of open ended language, it doesn't say you lose ability scores for reduced HD/levels (which, when losing every 4th level via proper level loss, you DO lose an ability point), and the fact that the spell says it is appears like the original, it would be fairly telling if it was significantly smaller.

Psyren
2020-11-20, 06:16 PM
I'm guessing you won't like this answer, but simulacrum is perhaps the most "ask your DM" spell in core.

Personally, I would let it keep its size, since the other calculations will make it substantially weaker. That might make the size aspect a detriment rather than an advantage. But I could easily see another GM saying the size is intrinsically tied to the HD advancement. It's not clearly defined.