PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite new Multiclass Ideas from Tasha's?

webyugioh
2020-11-19, 06:53 AM
What is your favorite new multiclass idea with the new Subclasses from Tasha's?

Some I think are cool:

-Artificer-Armorer (Infiltrator Mode) + Rogue-Arcane Trickster.
--Be sneaky in full plate armor!

-Cleric-Twilight Domain + Ranger-Gloom Stalker
--Be a master of darkness, with 330ft darkvision (because just 300ft wasn't enough), and always go first with both Advantage and Wis bonus to initiative rolls!

-Fighter-Psi Knight + Rogue-Soulknife
--See if you can get your DM to agree that both classes' "Psi Dice" stack!

-Barbarian-Path of the Beast + Fighter
--Dual Wielding Feat + Two Weapon Fighting = 4 Claws Attacks a turn!

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 10:26 AM
Most of my mental energy the past couple days has been going into the Soulknife/Fighter combo, but I've recently gotten bogged down by the problems in the Soulknife. As for the Fighter subclass, the Psi Warrior, as you mentioned, is a natural choice if the psi dice stack, especially since it gives you a combat use for them before Rogue 9. But aside from Psi Warrior, the Rune Knight, Echo Knight, and Battle Master each have their appeals as well. In any event, I would take the Thrown Weapon Fighting/Dueling combo to buff psychic blade damage.

As for other ideas:

- Clockwork Sorcerer w/ a 1-level Order Cleric dip. I AM THE LAW. Sorcerers have a smorgasbord of great buff spells to grant free attacks with, many of which are transmutation (and therefore can be subbed into your Clockwork Spells list).

I'm sure I'll have more ideas at some point, but that's where I'm currently at.

Silpharon
2020-11-19, 10:34 AM
Armorer+Psi Warrior looks great.

Also, a Genie Warlock dip if you've got Glyph of Warding on your spell list.

XmonkTad
2020-11-19, 11:33 AM
-Barbarian-Path of the Beast + Fighter
--Dual Wielding Feat + Two Weapon Fighting = 4 Claws Attacks a turn!

That's a really good one! I will likely steal it. Could replace fighter with Gloom Stalker ranger, that way you get the same fighting style, but you also can use Dread Ambusher to do a 5th attack on round 1.

My thoughts tend to Twilight Cleric + Shadow Monk. Probably not original, but teleporting around in dim light means you don't need to dip warlock to get Devil's Sight.

Bobthewizard
2020-11-19, 11:36 AM
1 level of order cleric on an evoker wizard. Use Voice of Authority on every sculpted fireball/shatter/thunderwave to give someone in the party an extra attack. It's even better if someone is playing a melee rogue.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-19, 11:41 AM
Mercy Monk 11
Peace Cleric 9
... run around naked, wearing a mask, alternately beating things up and healing them.
Alignment: Lawful Silly.

RogueJK
2020-11-19, 11:49 AM
Peace Cleric 1/Lore Bard X. I had already previously played a support-focused Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X, but Peace would be even better.

Gloomstalker 5/Twilight Cleric X is also tempting. (Or Twilight Cleric 5/Gloomstalker X.) I had played a Gloomstalker 5/Nature Cleric X before, but Twilight really leans into the dim/dark abilities, so would be great for something like an Underdark campaign.

I also think Tasha's potentially makes room for a new style of Sorcadin, going something like Sorcerer 2/Paladin X with the Metamagic Adept feat. Probably best suited for something like a Conquest Paladin 9+/Sorcerer 2. Upper level Paladin abilities, plus Sorcerer ranged attack cantrips to shore up the Paladin's dearth of good ranged options, Shield/Absorb Elements, a few Metamagics each day, and some additional low level Sorcerer subclass abilities.

Or 2 levels of Sorcerer with the Metamagic Adept feat on top of any full caster, but especially a Bard.

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 12:31 PM
Stars Druid 3/Swarmkeeper Ranger 3/Druid X

Action: Spike Growth next to enemy
Bonus Action: Star Form: Archer, make a ranged spell attack on target. If it hits, use your swarm to drag them through 15 ft of spikes, dealing +6d4 damage.

CMCC
2020-11-19, 12:39 PM
Does the gloomstalker and twilight cleric actually synergize well? What gloomstalker gaps is the twilight cleric actually filling?

This seems to be another tempest cleric storm sorcerer combo where they don’t really do great things together but they sound like they do.

You already have invisibility in darkness, already have darkvision, already have great initiative bumps - I guess the flight is nice.

XmonkTad
2020-11-19, 12:41 PM
Mercy Monk 11
Peace Cleric 9
... run around naked, wearing a mask, alternately beating things up and healing them.

This is excellent. The monk bonus speed with the cleric channel divinity makes you a high speed healer!

Silpharon
2020-11-19, 12:48 PM

Bonus Action: Star Form: Archer, make a ranged spell attack on target. If it hits, use your swarm to drag them through 15 ft of spikes, dealing +6d4 damage.

Love it! You can make your "swarm" of stars or lightning bugs.

RogueJK
2020-11-19, 12:50 PM
Does the gloomstalker and twilight cleric actually synergize well? What gloomstalker gaps is the twilight cleric actually filling?

Ranger/Cleric already synergized fairly well for a more melee-focused divine caster, basically trading some spellcasting ability for extra attack and a bump to melee damage, plus various Ranger ability riders and a few additional Ranger spells known. You're more of a martial with the ability to buff and add some spell control/damage, rather than a spellcaster with the ability to melee like a single-classed melee Cleric.

(And honestly, this had a lot to do with the Ranger having diminishing returns after Level 5 and often being better off switching to something else like Cleric or Rogue after that, although some of that has been mitigated by Tasha's now.)

My Gloomstalker 5/Nature Cleric 6 was a blast to play, and a very competent frontliner with respectable damage output.

But you're correct that Twilight doesn't really shore up any Gloomstalker gaps, instead leaning even further into your abilities specifically for use in the dim/dark, which may or may not be useful, depending on your campaign. In something like an Underdark campaign, where you're always in the dim/dark, it would excel. In a "normal" campaign where you're only occasionally in the dim/dark, it doesn't bring as much to the table since you wouldn't be able to use some of your cool abilities from either class for a good portion of the time.

You already have invisibility in darkness, already have darkvision, already have great initiative bumps - I guess the flight is nice.

Keep in mind that Twilight's Darkvision and Initiative bump are shareable, so you can spread the love around and end up with multiple characters with long range Darkvision, and two characters with Initiative bumps (yourself from Gloomstalker's DEX+WIS and another from Twilight's Advantage) which someone like an Assassin Rogue would especially appreciate.

In addition, Twilight's Channel Divinity is just crazy good. And their domain spells are solid too. So if you're going to be multiclassing your Ranger into some sort of Cleric anyway, Twilight is a very solid contender, and thematically appropriate to boot.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-19, 01:24 PM
This is excellent. The monk bonus speed with the cleric channel divinity makes you a high speed healer! And if you go vHuman with the Mobile feet ... sillier and faster. :smallbiggrin: (While I'd probably do Resilient Con to add another proficient save and help with concentration on things like bless or spirit guardian, Mobile isn't a bad choice).

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 02:11 PM
With them already errataing the scagtrips, I'm sad they didnt edit Shillelagh to be able to affect two clubs instead of just the one. Would love to have that swarm/star running around double-clubbing in his off-time.

wunderkid
2020-11-19, 02:30 PM
It has to be eloquence bard 3/Aberrant mind sorcX.

The playbook being you are terrified townsfolk No34, caught up in all the craziness and scared for your life.

To maintain this deception you are at Cha (hopefully 20 or at least 18), double proficiency and cant roll lower than 10. So level 13 is when this is properly "Online" and with 20Cha the minimum you can get on your deception is 25.

Then you use psionic sorcery to cast with no V,S or M components so the enemy have no idea you're a caster.

Of course the real plan for this is to make it an NPC BBEG who befriends the group. and keeps messing with their memories or the actions of other NPCs or enemies, maybe turning friends against them and seeing how long they can get away with it for. I am sure it will be very amusing.

Hael
2020-11-19, 02:45 PM
I’ve been trying to work out the most optimal way to do the following idea with Pact of the chain + Genie Warlock. Get your flying invisible familiar to carry the bottle to the final lair, by bypassing the entire fortress.

I kinda want etherealness and possibly true sight to bypass traps..

Then you pop out with your full party.

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 03:14 PM
Oathbreaker Paladin 7/Hexblade Chainlock 13

Obviously you have the classic Hexadin chassis, but with this build you've got several Fiends and Undead to bless with your Aura of Hate.

- 1 Imp Familiar (who can attack due to Investment of the Chain Master)
- 1 Accursed Specter
- 1 Controlled Undead
- 1 Summoned Undead/Fiend

I'm probably missing a couple, though most are concentration and therefore competing with the new summon spells.

Silpharon
2020-11-19, 04:25 PM

Whoa, just realized that Swarmkeeper skills work on "attacks" not just weapon attacks. That's unique for a ranger. That'll fit nicely with lots of cantrips including magic stone.

Makorel
2020-11-19, 05:10 PM
Definitely interested in a Fighter/Beast Barbarian multiclass due to claws getting you that extra attack you would have missed out on by multiclassing. The only issue being that the best way to do it is to take Fighter 11 first so you don't get to beast until pretty late. I don't see why unarmed fighting wouldn't work for Beast claws so that's nice too. Lots of little synergies.

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 05:11 PM
Whoa, just realized that Swarmkeeper skills work on "attacks" not just weapon attacks. That's unique for a ranger. That'll fit nicely with lots of cantrips including magic stone.
Yeah, a Swarmkeeper 5 with the Druid Cantrip fighting style can be Wis SAD with extra attacking with Magic Stones and a Shillelagh.

RogueJK
2020-11-19, 05:30 PM
I don't see why unarmed fighting wouldn't work for Beast claws so that's nice too.

Unarmed Fighting style required unarmed strikes. So no dice there, because unlike natural weapons such as the Tabaxi claws or Lizardfolk bite, which are specifically called out as being able to be used for unarmed strikes, there's no such wording in the Beast Barbarian natural weapons.

More importantly, the Beast Barbarian's natural weapons are very specifically stated as being classified as simple melee weapons (as opposed to unarmed strikes). Because it's so specific about that, I can only assume that was a very intentional design choice in order to prevent abuse when used alongside stuff like the Unarmed Fighting Style or especially something like a Beast Barbarian/Monk that otherwise could be getting 4x-5x claw attacks every round at relatively low levels.

stoutstien
2020-11-19, 06:04 PM
Man they knocked the unarmed fighting style down hard. The extra 1d4 on all attacks against grappled targets will be missed and the limit of only adding 1d4 to a single target at the start of your turn is a big chunk out of the point of making a style to support grappling.

Dork_Forge
2020-11-19, 06:14 PM
Man they knocked the unarmed fighting style down hard. The extra 1d4 on all attacks against grappled targets will be missed and the limit of only adding 1d4 to a single target at the start of your turn is a big chunk out of the point of making a style to support grappling.

An extra d4 for every attack was probably too much though, especially since it's so easy to get ridiculously good at grappling to begin with. I think that it was primarily to support a more boxing/pugilist style of Fighter, with the d4 for grappling more being a bonus for when you lead into MMA style take downs.

What's a little weird is that there's now an entire class and now fighting style that revolves around unarmed strikes and the magic item support is still so thin on the ground you might slip on it. We've gone from just the insignia of claws to that plus a tattoo. Would it have killed them to throw some brass knuckles or something in there?

stoutstien
2020-11-19, 06:47 PM
An extra d4 for every attack was probably too much though, especially since it's so easy to get ridiculously good at grappling to begin with. I think that it was primarily to support a more boxing/pugilist style of Fighter, with the d4 for grappling more being a bonus for when you lead into MMA style take downs.

What's a little weird is that there's now an entire class and now fighting style that revolves around unarmed strikes and the magic item support is still so thin on the ground you might slip on it. We've gone from just the insignia of claws to that plus a tattoo. Would it have killed them to throw some brass knuckles or something in there?

Aye. Strange aversion on their part as far as item support.

Back on topic: star druid 2/light cleric can have an old school Lazer cleric feel

Darthnazrael
2020-11-19, 07:09 PM
The Beast Barb/Monk Clawfighter combo might work as a Tabaxi. I'm away from my book, but I don't think Beast specifically states you need to use your Beast Barb Claws to get the extra attack, just a "claw attack", IIRC. So Tabaxi claws should work, and they'd be upgraded by Unarmed Fighting Style.

RogueJK
2020-11-19, 08:43 PM
star druid 2/light cleric can have an old school Lazer cleric feel

Star Druid 2 is actually a good combo with just about any Cleric...

Flip on Archer to get a quasi-Spiritual Weapon (same damage, but it's ranged, Radiant instead of Force, and can't be upcast, though also doesn't have to be moved between enemies).
Flip on Chalice to boosts your healing, especially out of combat.
Flip on Dragon when Concentrating on something really important.

Any of those are usable 2x/Short Rest.

You'll be a level behind in Cleric spells known, but not spell slots, and will have 2 additional cantrips and 2+WISMOD 1st level Druid spells prepared, along with Guidance and Guiding Bolt.

Star Druid 2 could also complement Sun Soul Monk, giving you a Bonus Action ranged Radiant attack that doesn't require Ki to use, as well as some cantrips and a few 1st level spells per day. (Might not be worth the 2 level delay to your Monk abilities, though...)

kaervaak
2020-11-19, 08:53 PM
Psi-warrior 5/Abjuration Wizard X seems like a sexy combo for a tanky gish.

Extra-attack, action surge, d8 Psi-dice whose number scales with proficiency, arcane ward and projected ward so you can protect your buddies.

You need str, int, and con, but you're no worse off than any paladin in terms of MADness.

RogueJK
2020-11-19, 08:55 PM

Extra-attack, action surge, d8 Psi-dice whose number scales with proficiency, arcane ward and projected ward so you can protect your buddies.

You need str, int, and con, but you're no worse off than any paladin in terms of MADness.

And toss in the Eldritch Adept feat for Armor of Shadows to recharge your Arcane Ward between fights for free.

Aaron Underhand
2020-11-19, 09:11 PM
Hexblade 1/Lore Bard x... with the Eldritch Adept you have sorted all the issues with Lore Bards:

Armour - check
Shield Spell - check
At will damage - check (Agonising Eldritch Blast)

Works for sorcerers and paladins as well....

Sepaulchre
2020-11-19, 09:19 PM
Hexblade 1/Lore Bard x... with the Eldritch Adept you have sorted all the issues with Lore Bards:

Armour - check
Shield Spell - check
At will damage - check (Agonising Eldritch Blast)

Works for sorcerers and paladins as well....

I am curious whether spending a feat is worth saving the second level of the dip. I suspect no, but maybe for tier 2 play.

stoutstien
2020-11-19, 09:24 PM
Star Druid 2 is actually a good combo with just about any Cleric...

Flip on Archer to get a quasi-Spiritual Weapon (same damage, but it's ranged, Radiant instead of Force, and can't be upcast, though also doesn't have to be moved between enemies).
Flip on Chalice to boosts your healing, especially out of combat.
Flip on Dragon when Concentrating on something really important.

Any of those are usable 2x/Short Rest.

You'll be a level behind in Cleric spells known, but not spell slots, and will have 2 additional cantrips and 2+WISMOD 1st level Druid spells prepared, along with Guidance and Guiding Bolt.

Star Druid 2 could also complement Sun Soul Monk, giving you a Bonus Action ranged Radiant attack that doesn't require Ki to use, as well as some cantrips and a few 1st level spells per day. (Might not be worth the 2 level delay to your Monk abilities, though...)

Aye. I just picked light for the more holy blaster feel. I like the night/day feel.

The more I read twilight domain and circle of star the more I feel they should be reversed as far as which class they are on.

Silpharon
2020-11-19, 09:56 PM

That's pretty cool! You can get SAD and add three levels of Artificer with either Armorer or Battle Smith classes. Int-based weapons for the win!

Here's a build I'm looking at now:

Battle Smith 13, Psi Warrior 3, Swarm Keeper 3, Life Cleric 1

Thrown weapon and dueling fighting styles plus "returning weapon" infusion gives me a +1/+5 hit/dmg thrown javelin weapon that I fashion a "hookshot" like from the old Zelda games. The damage boosters make sharpshooter less necessary.

If someone gets too close, I can melee attack with the javelin and let my swarm move me back 5 feet to avoid opportunity attacks, then keep attacking at range.

The support is fantastic between cure spells and goodberry with Life's blessing, defensive field, arcane jolt, flash of genius, and steel defender reaction.

PattThe
2020-11-19, 10:12 PM
It took me a couple tries to understand the new racial ability score rules but I finally finished and am ready to play my Wild Sorbarian.
Start as lvl 1 sorcerer, level 2 multiclass into Barbarian. By level four I'll be fully online in my Wild Magic Barbarian subclass from Tasha's.

Triton (+1 to three stats, made them my physical stats) (Three innate sorcerer spells my DM is allowing to count as "casting sorcerer spells of 1st level or higher) (On theme for coastal campaign)
16 14 16 8 12 8 (Yes, negative cha sorcerer)
Light/Dancing Lights, Booming Blade (comes online at lvl 5), Shape Water, Mending (or something else).
Sleep, False Life (Combo's with Rage, no concentration).

Racial, Fog Cloud. (Gust of Wind and Water Wall later)

Might take Shield Master for more things to do with my bonus action. WILD MAGIC EVERYWHERE! Hope I don't nuke our low level party.

Scarytincan
2020-11-19, 11:21 PM
Mercy Monk 11
Peace Cleric 9

Was having a similar thought, but just 1 level of peace cleric, the rest mercy, follower of Eldath, healer, helps ease people to their final rest (all very apropos for eldathyn), and the monastery devoted to her, the yielding way, are known to be peaceful but 'surprisingly deadly' when provoked, so figured that was fitting. Sometimes you just gotta eliminate someone quickly so things can return to peace and tranquility with minimal possible collateral /innocents harmed...

Darthnazrael
2020-11-20, 02:21 AM
That's pretty cool! You can get SAD and add three levels of Artificer with either Armorer or Battle Smith classes. Int-based weapons for the win!

Here's a build I'm looking at now:

Battle Smith 13, Psi Warrior 3, Swarm Keeper 3, Life Cleric 1

Thrown weapon and dueling fighting styles plus "returning weapon" infusion gives me a +1/+5 hit/dmg thrown javelin weapon that I fashion a "hookshot" like from the old Zelda games. The damage boosters make sharpshooter less necessary.

If someone gets too close, I can melee attack with the javelin and let my swarm move me back 5 feet to avoid opportunity attacks, then keep attacking at range.

The support is fantastic between cure spells and goodberry with Life's blessing, defensive field, arcane jolt, flash of genius, and steel defender reaction.
I like a lot of what you have going here, but I'd be tempted to lean into the martial. Were I building this for throwing as you are, I'd go this route:

Custom Origin/VHuman, and take Thrown Weapon Fighting Style as your feat.

Start with Artificer. For now, you're throwing daggers with your dex of hopefully +3. I suggest Daggers over darts, as they're more useful when you get pinned down in melee, which is likely to happen with your weak range.

If your Dex is only +2 (or, eek, less), I'd probably start with an Attack cantrip like Fire Bolt or the like for your first two levels, instead of relying on daggers. Your DM might even let you use Thrown Weapon Style on Magic Stones.

At 3, we go Battlesmith, and the build comes online. Now we're throwing a returning dart with our Int, and wielding a shield in the other hand. Plus we have our metal friend getting between us and the bad guys. At 4, we pick up Sharpshooter for the effective range increase. With Darts being range 20/60, that relief from disadvantage is really helpful here. We finish Battlesmith to 5 for Extra Attack, then switch to Fighter, and pick up Archery style. Now the "5 and dime" portion of Sharpshooter is officially a go. Go Psi Warrior at character level 8, and take that the rest of the way to 15. Always keep a javelin on hand, so if you do get pinned down, you can quick draw it with Thrown Weapon Style, and use a Telekinetic Thrust with it to push your assailant away.

Hael
2020-11-20, 03:22 AM
Peace cleric6/ Shepherd Druid X. Use the clerics battlefield teleports to move your summons around so they can tank and control the board.

Similar idea, Peace cleric 6, clockwork Sorcerer or Artificer X. This time you can use your tiny servants or animated objects to tank the blows.

Pinkie Pyro
2020-11-20, 06:53 AM
New to 5e mostly, so this might not work, but warlock 2-3/ sidekick spellcaster 6 for 2x charisma to damage on eldritch blast seems neat.

Snowbluff
2020-11-20, 10:52 AM
The SAD Businessman. Armor3/bladesinger6+ Tortle. Use int to attack, for AC, don't need dex. Of course, the wording on tortle might discount this, but it's a fun idea nonetheless. Even funnier when you're invisible and hitting people to force them to have disadvantage to hit your friends, but also have disadvantage against you.

Scarytincan
2020-11-20, 11:45 AM
New to 5e mostly, so this might not work, but warlock 2-3/ sidekick spellcaster 6 for 2x charisma to damage on eldritch blast seems neat.

Welcome! Sadly that wouldn't work (unless your DM was cool with it), as sidekick classes are just for sidekicks, NPCs that join your party, and I don't think it's intended for them to take real class levels either so it wouldn't work in either direction.

webyugioh
2020-11-20, 12:33 PM
The SAD Businessman. Armor3/bladesinger6+ Tortle. Use int to attack, for AC, don't need dex. Of course, the wording on tortle might discount this, but it's a fun idea nonetheless. Even funnier when you're invisible and hitting people to force them to have disadvantage to hit your friends, but also have disadvantage against you.

Unfortunately you can't Armorer with Bladesinger, as Bladesinger doesn't work with Heavy Armor.
Additionally, you can only use Int to attack with your Armorer Weapon attacks.

However, Battle Smith + Bladesinger works pretty well I think!

stoutstien
2020-11-20, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately you can't Armorer with Bladesinger, as Bladesinger doesn't work with Heavy Armor.
Additionally, you can only use Int to attack with your Armorer Weapon attacks.

However, Battle Smith + Bladesinger works pretty well I think!

Armorer can use light armor now so that isn't an issue.

webyugioh
2020-11-20, 12:49 PM
Armorer can use light armor now so that isn't an issue.

Oh wow, I missed that change from the UA! Awesome! Thanks!

stoutstien
2020-11-20, 01:10 PM
Oh wow, I missed that change from the UA! Awesome! Thanks!

About the only thing that saved the armorer. Losing both the shield spell and reliable temporary hit soften them up quite a bit. Quick dip in BS fits this up nicely.

werescythe
2020-11-20, 01:21 PM
I might be wrong with how this works but I was thinking of maybe multiclassing Beast Barb + Phantom Rogue. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Sneak Attack works when you Rage (since you have advantage on Strength attacks) and then being able to use Wails From the Grave with the natural weapon you have from your Beast Barbarian just seems like fun.

RogueJK
2020-11-20, 01:25 PM
I might be wrong with how this works but I was thinking of maybe multiclassing Beast Barb + Phantom Rogue. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Sneak Attack works when you Rage (since you have advantage on Strength attacks)

Sneak Attack requires Advantage or an ally within 5 feet, and an attack with a Ranged or Finesse weapon.

Beast Barbarian's claw/bite/tail are not Ranged or Finesse weapons, so you can't Sneak Attack using them, even with Advantage.

werescythe
2020-11-20, 01:35 PM
Sneak Attack requires Advantage or an ally within 5 feet and an attack with a Ranged or Finesse weapon.

Beast Barbarian's claw/bite/tail are not Ranged or Finesse weapons, so you can't Sneak Attack using them, even with Advantage.

Okay, I didn't realize that. That's a bit disappointing. Hmmm...

I suppose Battle Master (or maybe Champion) or maybe Paladin could work (since the natural weapons are also considered simple weapons).

Edit: Beast Barb + Champ Fighter + Piercer (feat) = a potentially more powerful bite/tail attack. Because you now crit on both a 19 and 20.

Granted if you go Battle Master you also have the ability to grapple as a bonus action more often with Grappling Strike using your natural weapons.

RogueJK
2020-11-20, 01:43 PM
Yes, you could apply Battlemaster Maneuvers or Paladin Divine Smites, since they're melee weapons.

But you couldn't use Paladin spells alongside them, because you can't cast spells or concentrate on spells while raging, so that's not really a great option.

werescythe
2020-11-20, 01:51 PM
Yes, you could apply Battlemaster Maneuvers or Paladin Divine Smites, since they're melee weapons.

But you couldn't use Paladin spells alongside them, because you can't cast spells or concentrate on spells while raging, so that's not really a great option.

Yeah exactly, if I were to go down the paladin route it would just be to use the Divine Smite, so... admittedly it isn't a great option.

So Battle Master or Champion might be better options.

webyugioh
2020-11-20, 01:53 PM

I have had fun with Barbarian 5-Paladin 2-Sorcerer X (4 for in a lvl 11 one-shot).
Use your spell slots for nothing but smiting, with some out-of-combat cantrip abilities (Shape Water, etc).
(You can smite while raging).

Silpharon
2020-11-20, 06:03 PM

Ha that's great, what wording do you think discounts this idea?

BarneyBent
2020-11-20, 09:12 PM

Tortles "gain no benefit from wearing armor". The Armorer features, including the INT-based attack, are a benefit from wearing armor.

Up to the DM to decide whether the Tortle rule only applies to AC or if it includes any benefit from armor.

Snowbluff
2020-11-21, 08:02 PM

Tortles "gain no benefit from wearing armor". The Armorer features, including the INT-based attack, are a benefit from wearing armor.

Up to the DM to decide whether the Tortle rule only applies to AC or if it includes any benefit from armor.

Yep. The Thunder Gauntlets aren't directly called a "benefit" unlike basically everything else. However, you can also do battlesmith if your DM doesn't permit armorer.

Pinkie Pyro
2020-11-22, 03:10 AM
Welcome! Sadly that wouldn't work (unless your DM was cool with it), as sidekick classes are just for sidekicks, NPCs that join your party, and I don't think it's intended for them to take real class levels either so it wouldn't work in either direction.

It recommends that a player can use a sidekick class as their only character, so it doesn't seem like it would not be allowed on normal PCs. more than that, everything in Tasha's is DM discretion so it's a meaningless argument.

By RAW does anyone know if Agonizing blast + potent cantrips would let you add double CHA to damage? or would you have to also max out INT/WIS and have that be your casting stat?

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-22, 04:15 AM
It recommends that a player can use a sidekick class as their only character, so it doesn't seem like it would not be allowed on normal PCs. more than that, everything in Tasha's is DM discretion so it's a meaningless argument.

By RAW does anyone know if Agonizing blast + potent cantrips would let you add double CHA to damage? or would you have to also max out INT/WIS and have that be your casting stat?

Interesting.

You can't use Sidekick ASIs to get feats. Their proficiency bonus may only apply to attacks and to saving throw DCs, as well, without changing skills or saves. The Sidekick entry for Proficiency Bonus doesn't mention the latter.

But against the possibility, you don't earn your own XP. Your Sidekick level goes up whenever the average party level increases. How does this square with multiclassing?

Also against the possibility: other classes have a Multiclassing prerequisite and benefit (13 in main stats, subset of proficiencies gained, etc.) - these are missing from Sidekicks.

Kane0
2020-11-22, 04:17 AM
I’m looking forward to building a sniper. All these new options look so tasty!

Fey Ranger 3 for the grab-bag of Ranger goodies plus 2d4 damage via Favored Foe and Dreadful Strikes
Battlemaster 3 for second style plus sweet maneuvers new and old
Genielock 1 gives prof bonus to damage
Rogue for the rest because sneak attack, now with bonus action advantage to hit if i dont need to relocate.

And cool bonus it’s actually a pretty good face/skillmonkey to boot with expertise, wis to cha checks and access to the new social battle maneuvers. Would just be a bit stretched for ASIs/feats, good thing there’s Tasha’s custom race (TCR) now! Sharpshooter + Piercer mmm yes please, even throw in Poisoner if I don’t want to go into crossbows or now, guns!

Edit: I just noticed something but want to confirm, if I pick up Genie warlock and choose the bludgeoning damage would that work woth the Crusher feat? Sounds like a really roundabout way to get what invocations do with EB but curious if this is a way to combine crusher and piercer/slasher in the one attack.

Silpharon
2020-11-22, 09:58 AM
Edit: I just noticed something but want to confirm, if I pick up Genie warlock and choose the bludgeoning damage would that work woth the Crusher feat? Sounds like a really roundabout way to get what invocations do with EB but curious if this is a way to combine crusher and piercer/slasher in the one attack.

Dude, that's brilliant! I would say it works for Crusher. You could go Swarmkeeper to get additional piercing damage, then use a slashing weapon.

Nod_Hero
2020-11-22, 11:09 AM
Start as lvl 1 sorcerer, level 2 multiclass into Barbarian.

16 14 16 8 12 8 (Yes, negative cha sorcerer)

Gonna be "that guy" for a moment to point out you need at least 13 Charisma to multi-class with Sorcerer.

Necromas
2020-11-22, 12:58 PM
Now that Bladesinger is open to other races officially and has the buffed extra attack, I want to start a character with 6 Bladesinger levels and then multiclass into all of the things.

Start as Mountain Dwarf Bladesinger 6, that way with point buy you can have 18 dex, 14 con, and 18 int after your first ASI. Using Tasha's rules to rearrange the stats. You can also swap your racial proficiencies for one or two Bladesinger appropriate weapons and a bunch of handy tool proficiencies. I'm thinking style them as something of a line of Dwarven commandos that enchant their armor and weapons with the songs of their ancestors. A magic they will forever deny having learned/stolen from Elves long ago. Once you get to level 6 you have bladesong, 4 cantrips you can use with extra attack, and a pretty decent spell selection including all the classic level 3 power houses like haste and fireball. And with 18's in both your key stats and scaling cantrip damage/bladesong uses you can safely multiclass without worrying too much about falling behind.

Oh but what to multiclass into.... There are just so many interesting options.

Artillerist 3 looks pretty attractive. You still progress magically with 2 levels of spell slots, 2 extra cantrips, and a ton of extra first level spells you can prepare that also use int. There are some nice grabs too that aren't on the wizard list. Tasha summons are probably a great way to upcast and use those higher level slots than you have spells known too. The real kicker here though is grabbing an artillerist turret for a great use of your bonus action that can be used every turn. You can flamethrower, stab, and greenflame blade, or stab, blade ward, HP turret, or shoot, firebolt, ballista turret.

Fighter 3 looks sexy as hell too. Fighting style gets you a consistent defensive or offensive boost, action surge lets you attack twice and cantrip twice, or fireball twice if you want to blow your load, and a lot of the subclasses would really help the martial side of the build. Battlemaster, Psi Warrior, or Rune Knight all get you some handy tricks that you can combo with your attacks and don't require a ton of fighter levels to be effective. I'm partial to Battlemaster because I think menacing attack would be very handy but Rune Knight would be very on-theme for Dwarves.

Rogue 3 can make you feel like more of a commando. Lots of skill boosts, cunning action to make you more stealthy/mobile, and sneak attack is nice even if it's only 2d6. The subclasses don't give you a ton though. Swashbuckler gets you another way to disengage and get that extra 2d6, Mastermind lets you hand out advantage if you're not using your bonus action, Arcane Trickster for a couple more spells, and Assassin could be nice for some big crits depending on how consistently you can get surprise.

Cleric 1 would be nice if there's a domain you want, but you'd need rolled stats and some luck to get the wisdom requirement. I'm thinking death domain maybe and you could multi-hit with toll the dead.

Arandur
2020-11-23, 11:50 AM
Swarmkeeper Ranger + Wildfire Druid. Mix and match levels how you wish, but at least 3 each. Lots of battlefield and movement control, and damage versatility. Additional 2 druid cantrips from Ranger, + Mage Hand, some spells known at the ready. Wildfire Spirit can teleport you and friends as a Bonus Action at will to get you out of sticky situations (and leave some hurt behind), or into hard-to-get-to areas.

Wild Elf or Half Elf (Wild Elf) for race, because of feats, speed.

Summon Beasts and Fey is fantastic, Conjure Animals is still crazy broken; you have to nerf it really hard to make it not excellent. Charming fey, conjure swarms, minions on the battlefield, scouts...

Polearm Master with a quarterstaff, great spear, glaive, pike, etc and keep forcing M and smaller melee creatures to enter your OA-provoking reach again every round (if you're pushing them back or yourself away 5ft). You have two chances to get that movement to land, with the off-hand PAM attack, and Extra Attack if you go far enough in Ranger.

Quarterstaff doesn't have reach, but still would grant OA when they enter reach (with PAM), and that with Shillelagh is a recipe for triggering Elven Accuracy if you can get Advantage regularly.

You've got lots of ways of getting/granting Advantage, which will work wonderfully with Elven Accuracy if you have a finesse or ranged weapon or good cantrip at hand, and good for your friends/wildfire spirit if you can grant for others:
Faerie Fire
Ensnaring Strike (Restrained condition)
Entangle (Restrained condition)
Have your Wildfire Spirit Help to grant you or others advantage.
Zephyr Strike (normally a fantastic spell oddly less important for this build, because you don't necessarily need it for avoiding OAs bc of your swarm, and advantage is only once and personal, and concentration is a steep tax)

If you want a warrior focus, by Ranger 10 you'll have a no-concentration Greater Invisibility (Nature's Veil) for Prof bonus rounds in a day, as a bonus action; you can also fly a bit, with no concentration.

At Ranger 11, you can be knocking targets prone on the regular in addition to pushing them 15 feet, at no extra cost; Tack on a movement reducer (Summon Shadowspawn (Despair), Spirit Guardians?) from a friend and you can keep them on the ground indefinitely -- with a Create Bonfire roaring over them, or a better area spell. And with a 15ft push and prone, you may be able to push a lot of enemies into the radius of your movement reducer and area damage.

Or stay out of 5ft reach whenever you hit, with a +2 bonus on AC from Cover.

Yes, the new Tasha's core Ranger variants got nerfed too hard, but the other aspects of the class are salvageable.

Feats
Fey Touched and Wood Elf Magic are still solid thematic feat choices to give a couple extra "slots" and always-prepared spells. Yet another druid cantrip, Misty Step (for when your wildfire spirit is dead or out of uses), 1 enchantment/divination spell from any list. They may be of less use late game, though, when you're likely to be getting them.

Mentioned PAM previously as a solid core of the build for melee.

Warcaster and Sentinel are solid combos with PAM as usual. Again with the stopping of your foes, or dropping a cantrip on them when they enter your reach.
Metamagic Adept may even be useful, as Subtle Spell in many games is fantastic, and being able to Quicken/Twin one of those powerful Druid spells even 1/day would be great. If you decide to dip Sorcerer to L2 or 3, this works even better, especially with a Bloodwell Vial. But probably not worth the max spell level tax, unless you've gone mostly Ranger (Ranger 11+Druid 6, Sorc interspersed as necessary).

Druid focus
Focusing on Druid still gives you a good augment multiclassing to Ranger if you want to get into melee a lot, but if you wanted a full spellcaster getting those high level late career spells, you really have to stick with full single-classed spellcaster; a level 3 dip is too damaging. Give up 6th level spells and you can go to Wildfire Druid 10, which has a really fun power (Cauterizing Flames), though it's probably not worth driving to 10 just for that.

Triple-Classing:
A dip to get Booming Blade and GFB may even be worth it still, despite the blade cantrip Range nerfs, because of how you could move yourself or the target around the battlefield (isolating melee combatants for BB, clustering for GFB and to set up for other adjacent/area attacks).

And because when you get to Enhanced Bond with your Wildfire Druid, GFB gets a +1d8 bonus once per spell (which could apply to Twinned/Quicken, if you get that), as would Firebolt, and be fired through your flying wildfire spirit. Find some way to stack more fire damage without much cost, and get through fire resistance, and you could make this even better.

Aberrant Mind gives you 5 cantrips and 4 1st level spells at 1st level (!), and telepathy; and Dissonant Whispers is more battlefield control that can trigger your PAM so you can hit coming and going (though watch out overloading your rxns). Divine Soul if your party really needs Bane/Bless and Cure at the ready.

Cleric (Arcana) 1 would give you 2 wizard cantrips (out of BB, GFB, Firebolt, probably) and keep focused on Wisdom, though you don't really need it for those spells. It does give you the rest of the Cleric spells you don't get as a Druid

Wizard might even be a decent dip if you really want those cantrips and lots of low-level versatility, but you delay high level powers and INT may have even less use for you than CHA (vs. Sorc). However, if you're going to Level 2, there are lots of schools to add other flavor; Enchantment and Illusion are solid Fey flavor with good Level 2 abilities; Divine Portent is like Lucky and always relevant for the whole party; Evocation Sculpt could be helpful if you're a Druid Blaster; everybody seems to love Arcane Ward.

I think level 2 War Magic's Arcane Deflection and Tactical Wit could be fantastic for the melee fighting build. Better than Bladesinger, which will nerf your primary weapon and armor choices, for little benefit; going to level 6 for the primary Bladesinger benefit would make this a Bladesinger build, instead.

You could do a Warlock dip I suppose to get those cantrips; Genie would give you a Prof bonus to all your damage, and of course everyone loves Hexblade, which would unlock Elven Accuracy for your primary weapon as an always-on (but nerf PAM, unless you take Warlock to level 3 and get Blade pact), and Elven Accuracy + Advantage + Hexblade hex is nuts for crits. Fathomless gives you more ability to reduce enemy speed, but you're chewing up your BAs more.

You have new stuff coming online all the time with multiclassing, but have to wait quite a while for the good stuff, and your focus is NOT spellcasting (which would be a big sacrifice with all the level dipping). Druid and Ranger to 3 are core, but you really want Extra Attack, you don't want to delay your ASIs much, you really want 3rd level spells (for Summoning/Conjuring). You'd probably be leaving levels 7-11 in Ranger for ending out your career, meaning that hover/flying, Nature's Veil, and Mighty Swarm come in really late. But Druid 5, Ranger 3-5, Sorc/Wiz/Lock/Arcane Cleric 1-3, Druid 6, Ranger+ would probably be my progression.

I’ve been trying to work out the most optimal way to do the following idea with Pact of the chain + Genie Warlock. Get your flying invisible familiar to carry the bottle to the final lair, by bypassing the entire fortress.

I kinda want etherealness and possibly true sight to bypass traps..

Then you pop out with your full party.
To which the DM will give you the same glare you should get when you ask, "Why didn't the Eagles just fly the Fellowship to Mount Doom?" :P

CMCC
2020-11-23, 04:03 PM
To which the DM will give you the same glare you should get when you ask, "Why didn't the Eagles just fly the Fellowship to Mount Doom?" :P

Because Sauron and his minions would have easily spotted the eagles??

Darzil
2020-11-23, 06:25 PM
So, I'm finding it hard to resist Twilight Cleric for a one level dip, as it's just too good.

As a backup character in Curse of Strahd if the current one dies, in a level 9 party, replacement might be a Vuman Temple Guard who gets dragged through some wild magic on the way to Strahd's demiplane, and ends up with a magical temper.

Variant Human for Great Weapon Master (probably Sentinel with the freebie feat our GM gives)
Stats (one ASI so far) : 18/14/14/9/13/8
Battlemaster 5 for some nice combat maneuvers, action surge etc
Twilight Cleric 1 for superior Darkvision and advantage on initiative (both situationally granted to others), plus some appropriately guard cantrips and spells.
Wild Magic Barbarian 3 for hitting harder, advantage on dex saves and wild magic shenanigans.

Using greatsword (as we already have a polearm user), Tunnel Fighter as style.
Best medium armor I can blag, so rage is still usable.
Parry and Riposte might be humorous on reactions as manouvers. Between those and Sentinel there are no good options for an attacker near me!

Deliberately not built around use of bonus actions, as 3/8 of the wild magics are bonus actions. As the wild magics don't improve with level (other than by rage limits) no great reason to go past 3rd level, so back to Battlemaster for future levels.

Zaile
2020-11-25, 05:58 PM
I love Tasha's so far. I'm a BSF at heart, but surprised no one has mentioned the insanity of a 5th level Rune Knight grappler for control. I'm switching my EK 6/War Wizard 4 in Tomb of Annihilation to RK 6/WarWiz 4.

Rune Knight DCs are 8+Prof+CON mod, yes CON, that you will have high. This is now VERY easy to multi-class with. RK should be either 3 or 5 levels.

Skill Expert (athletics)

Turn 1
Bonus action - Giant's Might
Charge in
Attack 1, throw a handaxe at the enemy caster/ranged, use Fire Rune shackles (activates on hit, no action required). Now they must make a STR save every round or take 2d6 fire damage and are Restrained
Attack 2 - Grapple a melee creature w/Adv
Action Surge
Attack 3 - Grapple second creature w/Adv
Attack 4 - If you missed a grapple do it again, or if you have 2 grappled, Shove one Prone w/Adv
Enemies will move to attack you, that's GREAT!
If an ungrappled enemy ends it's turn WITHIN 30 FEET of you, activate Stone Rune as a reaction, enemy is Charmed, speed 0, and Incapacitated on a Wisdom save. Repeatable, but who cares if it's a BSF.

End of Turn 1 you have: Restrained an enemy cater or ranged, Grappled 2 creatures (one is Prone), and incapacitated a 4th creature.

Turn 2
Prone both grappled creatures. Enjoy as the party goes to town.

As for the multi-classes with it, you can add in almost any other class and the utility goes through the roof since RK relies on CON for save DCs.

Barbarian is on the table b/c removal if INT Barb3/RK 5
War Wizard 4/RK5 or Bladesinger 6/RK3 if you go INT (yes you can go dex with this build if you forgo grapple)
Artificer 5/RK 3 or ARK 5/Art 3. Armorer for combat, not sure about the rest
Twilight Cleric (like this overall) removes darkness as a challenge
Wildfire Druid or Beastmaster Ranger basically makes you a K9 unit. Ranger gets Hunter's Mark
Astral monk - You are Goro, but can use Wisdom.
Soulknife is good for a 3rd attack before 11th level. The teleport would be great on a front-liner, better than Misty Step.

Taebyn
2020-11-25, 06:16 PM
Elf or half elf bladesinger x, 3 assassin.

Elven accuracy, alert, asi’s. Setting up critical steelwind strike with invisibility, amongst other shenanigans. Yeah I hadn’t really looked into bladesinger before tashas. I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Zaile
2020-11-25, 08:08 PM
So, I'm finding it hard to resist Twilight Cleric for a one level dip, as it's just too good.

As a backup character in Curse of Strahd if the current one dies, in a level 9 party, replacement might be a Vuman Temple Guard who gets dragged through some wild magic on the way to Strahd's demiplane, and ends up with a magical temper.

Variant Human for Great Weapon Master (probably Sentinel with the freebie feat our GM gives)
Stats (one ASI so far) : 18/14/14/9/13/8
Battlemaster 5 for some nice combat maneuvers, action surge etc
Twilight Cleric 1 for superior Darkvision and advantage on initiative (both situationally granted to others), plus some appropriately guard cantrips and spells.
Wild Magic Barbarian 3 for hitting harder, advantage on dex saves and wild magic shenanigans.

Using greatsword (as we already have a polearm user), Tunnel Fighter as style.
Best medium armor I can blag, so rage is still usable.
Parry and Riposte might be humorous on reactions as manouvers. Between those and Sentinel there are no good options for an attacker near me!

Deliberately not built around use of bonus actions, as 3/8 of the wild magics are bonus actions. As the wild magics don't improve with level (other than by rage limits) no great reason to go past 3rd level, so back to Battlemaster for future levels.

Considering you get Heavy armor and Martial weapons from Twilight, and it removes darkness as any kind of challenge, you may be right.

I like the build, looks fun.

You DO have the stats for EK or levels in Wizard if you wanted to expand your spell slots a bit and you can get Shadow Blade, which always has Advantage in the darkness you will have no problems seeing in. If you get strictly buff spells, you can get away with the 9 in INT. You could also go BM/EK 6, War Wizard 2, Twilight 1. In my experience, the mini-shield from war magic is insane. It has saved me multiple times in Tomb of Annihilation. Str18, Dex 9, Can get Resilient Dex for 10 Dex), Con 14, Int/Wis (14/13 either way here, probably 13 Wis so you can get Resilient), Cha 8. You still have GWM from your DM, so you get 2 ASIs, and at WWiz 3 Shadow Blade. This gets you Prof in STR, DEX, CON , WIS saves, a +2 AC/+4 Save reaction every turn, Channel, 3 Cleric cantrips, 5 wizard cantrips, spell slots of a 5th level caster. You could always flavor your Wizard side as a battle priest with a prayer book.

Darzil
2020-11-26, 04:46 AM
Considering you get Heavy armor and Martial weapons from Twilight, and it removes darkness as any kind of challenge, you may be right.

I like the build, looks fun.

You DO have the stats for EK or levels in Wizard if you wanted to expand your spell slots a bit and you can get Shadow Blade, which always has Advantage in the darkness you will have no problems seeing in. If you get strictly buff spells, you can get away with the 9 in INT. You could also go BM/EK 6, War Wizard 2, Twilight 1. In my experience, the mini-shield from war magic is insane. It has saved me multiple times in Tomb of Annihilation. Str18, Dex 9, Can get Resilient Dex for 10 Dex), Con 14, Int/Wis (14/13 either way here, probably 13 Wis so you can get Resilient), Cha 8. You still have GWM from your DM, so you get 2 ASIs, and at WWiz 3 Shadow Blade. This gets you Prof in STR, DEX, CON , WIS saves, a +2 AC/+4 Save reaction every turn, Channel, 3 Cleric cantrips, 5 wizard cantrips, spell slots of a 5th level caster. You could always flavor your Wizard side as a battle priest with a prayer book.

Yeah, traditional way to cheese 1 level Cleric drop is to go Heavy armour and low dex. But as I wanted to play with Wild Magic Barbarian that means no Heavy Armor. This build is not the most totally optimised, but is flavourful and, I think, effective.

Sception
2020-11-26, 09:55 AM
I'd like to try a warforged sorcadin mixing oath of conquest with clockwork soul, plus the racial customization rules to get bonuses to strength and cha instead of con & whatever.

Caelic
2020-11-26, 01:48 PM
I'd like to try a warforged sorcadin mixing oath of conquest with clockwork soul, plus the racial customization rules to get bonuses to strength and cha instead of con & whatever.

"You WILL be a cog in the machine. You WILL maintain order."

Verble
2020-11-26, 02:28 PM
Not new exactly but I like divine soul sorcerer with a dip of order cleric(prefer at level 2 to keep sorcerer Con Saves).

Take twin spell metamagic for twinning great cleric buffs, heals, or even haste. Extend can also help with Aid or Deathward. You can hand out free attacks when buffing or healing(especially useful for rogues but also barbarians and two handed weapon users). You get heavy armor so you can keep dex low, and you benefit from going a little later in initiative to buff when allies are already in melee range. With the High AC and Con Saves then Spirit Guardian is quite useful for melting enemies. You could pick up Booming Blade but would make casting difficult without War Caster feat.

Sorinth
2020-11-26, 03:18 PM
Definitely interested in a Fighter/Beast Barbarian multiclass due to claws getting you that extra attack you would have missed out on by multiclassing. The only issue being that the best way to do it is to take Fighter 11 first so you don't get to beast until pretty late. I don't see why unarmed fighting wouldn't work for Beast claws so that's nice too. Lots of little synergies.

Have you considered Hunter:Ranger with Horde Breaker? A Barbarian/Ranger multiclass at level 8 with 5 levels in one and 3 in the other you can get 5 attacks including your BA.

Zaile
2020-11-26, 05:54 PM

Optimus Prime supports this message http://getwallpapers.com/wallpaper/full/d/9/2/48580.jpg

Sception
2020-11-26, 07:43 PM

You get it. :p

Zaile
2020-11-27, 07:38 PM
I wanted to make a Psylocke (from X-men) build using either the Psi Warrior of the Suolknife, but Psi warrior is missing the psi blade and Soulknife is just... meh. You cold MC them I guess, but I'm thinking of just using Bladesinger 6 using Shadow Blade and dipping for fighting style instead.

Any suggestions on how to make Soulknife work? Dueling style benefits the class since the main attack vanishes before the off-hand AND you get Attack stat to both damages since it's specifically not TWF.

Rfkannen
2020-11-28, 01:58 AM
It just occurred to me that a path of the beast barbarian / fathomless warlock could be a lot of fun!

I don't buy the idea that you can dual wield the claws from path of the beast, and the tentacles from fathomless add a good use of your bonus action!

I am thinking maybe beast barbarian 5/ fathomless tome warlock 15.

I think it would be a pretty efficient character! You get a lot of out of combat stuff from tome warlock, the barbarian adds a ton of tankyness, which also stacks with armor of agathist. You have two spell slots for spells, and then can rage after your spells run out. I feel like this character would be more fun at low to mid level, but I am not sure how they would do in tier 4.

I would flavor it all a pirate. Maybe the beast shapeshifting would be reflavored to underwater stuff, the teeth are a great white, the tail is a tentacle, the claws... harder, maybe a sea anemone?

Bobthewizard
2020-11-28, 10:43 AM
I don't buy the idea that you can dual wield the claws from path of the beast

I think you could with the dual wielder feat. They are listed as weapons but do not have the light property so you couldn't dual wield them without the feat.

Mr Adventurer
2020-11-28, 11:03 AM
I would flavor it all a pirate. Maybe the beast shapeshifting would be reflavored to underwater stuff, the teeth are a great white, the tail is a tentacle, the claws... harder, maybe a sea anemone?

Crab.

Or lobster.

RogueJK
2020-11-28, 01:57 PM
Sea otter or seal would also be options for sea creatures with claws.

Or just something more generic like stereotypical mermaid/merman or Creature From The Black Lagoon hands, scaled with webbed fingers and long nails.

Yakmala
2020-12-02, 02:42 AM
Beast Barbarian 3 > Spores Druid 2 > Beast Barbarian 2 > Beast/Spores X

Pick up Dual Wielding feat. At Level 7 (Beast Barb 5 / Spores 2), while raging, you are getting in four claw attacks per round and adding a D6 to the damage of each one via Symbiotic Entity plus an additional 2D4 as a reaction from Halo of Spores.

That's 1d6 (base) + 1d6 (necrotic) + strength + rage X4 + 2D4 (necrotic on failed Con save) at Level 7. Strength bonus will not apply to the bonus action claw unless you pick up a level of fighter or the Fighting Initiate feat, but that hardly matters to the overall scheme.

Necromas
2020-12-02, 03:00 AM
I think Tempest Cleric and Aberrant Mind Sorcerer would make a cool thematic multiclass, someone who got their powers from a great old one that lives inside the heart of a storm in some Bermuda triangle like area of the sea. Probably just two tempest levels for the channel divinity and then the rest Sorc, with maybe one to three warlock levels for the fathomless.

PattThe
2020-12-02, 03:46 AM
I think Tempest Cleric and Aberrant Mind Sorcerer would make a cool thematic multiclass, someone who got their powers from a great old one that lives inside the heart of a storm in some Bermuda triangle like area of the sea. Probably just two tempest levels for the channel divinity and then the rest Sorc, with maybe one to three warlock levels for the fathomless. Always liked Tempest. Never knew how to make it 'blow up' and abuse the features therin.

Izodonia
2020-12-02, 08:37 AM
I'm currently fine-tuning an Armorer/Swarmkeeper - a scientist with power armor and a swarm of nanobots.

Silpharon
2020-12-02, 10:04 AM
I'm currently fine-tuning an Armorer/Swarmkeeper - a scientist with power armor and a swarm of nanobots.

Nice, are you doing any more exotic than Armorer 17/Swarmkeeper 3?

Izodonia
2020-12-02, 10:39 AM
Nice, are you doing any more exotic than Armorer 17/Swarmkeeper 3?

I hadn't planned to, but I'd be happy for any ideas.

Necromas
2020-12-02, 11:15 AM
Always liked Tempest. Never knew how to make it 'blow up' and abuse the features therin.

With the transmuted spell metamagic you can use it to turn fireball or any other of your favorite elemental spells on the sorc list into a max damage lightning nuke. It's only once per short rest but man it looks like it would be fun.

Houster
2020-12-02, 11:32 AM
Beast Barbarian 3 > Spores Druid 2 > Beast Barbarian 2 > Beast/Spores X

Pick up Dual Wielding feat. At Level 7 (Beast Barb 5 / Spores 2), while raging, you are getting in four claw attacks per round and adding a D6 to the damage of each one via Symbiotic Entity plus an additional 2D4 as a reaction from Halo of Spores.

That's 1d6 (base) + 1d6 (necrotic) + strength + rage X4 + 2D4 (necrotic on failed Con save) at Level 7. Strength bonus will not apply to the bonus action claw unless you pick up a level of fighter or the Fighting Initiate feat, but that hardly matters to the overall scheme.

That's really neat. a way to get "hunter's mark" without having to concentrate... something barbs lack. Good catch... I'll look into it. Also raging barbs are really good at keeping symbiotic entity going- half damage means double the duration. Does not have to be a beast barb to make the 1d6 count... extra attack from barb is enough. Bummer symbiotic entity is an action and not a bonus. A turn where you rage+sym' entity might end without the rage cause you did not attack.

Druid really complements barb in a way- it helps with the barb being dull out of combat. Druid get tons of low level detect/animal/exploration spells, and can shapeshift/summon familiar(with tasha's).

5 wild magic barb/ 3 spores druid seems a really cool and rounded build, not optimized of course but really effective in and out of combat.

KyleG
2021-01-01, 05:44 AM
Im intrigued by a 1 level dip into ranger for a monk. Between the rangers upgrades (non BA favoured foe/hunters mark), additional skill, expertise in 1 skill, 2 languages and martial weapons which can then have the new monk "dedicated weapon" feature applied. Its not a bad wee dip.
I even think it could be worth doing a single level into knowledge cleric still at the expense of the ASI. Very versatile skill monkey character.

Verble
2021-01-01, 01:49 PM
In an upcoming game in the Southlands setting by Kobold Press I was planning a Dragonkin(alternate race to dragonborn) dragon sorcerer 1/Lore Bard X. He's a spy and dedicated to the powerful Dragon Empire but was exiled because there were rumors he has non-draconic blood(they're very elitist).

However with Tasha's, I've decided to change it up to get rid of some of the redundant features. Now I'm planning on Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 1/ Eloquence Bard X. His non-draconic bloodline is showing up with his Aberrant magic. He ends up with 8 cantrips(1 racial, 4 sorcerer, 1 aberrant mind, 2 Bard), which is nice as the setting book has a bonus action cantrip I can get some use out of. And room for Mold Earth to hide the bodies lol. Our rolling method tends toward higher point yields so I'll likely have some room for fun feats. I like Telekinetic but his bonus action is already kind of busy, but I may take Medium Armored for shields and an AC bump. With his plethora of cantrips I don't feel the need to rely on melee or ranged weapon attacks. I'll likely be doing expertise in persuasion and deception so he'll be lying and charming as all get out which suits his devotion to pushing the supremacy of the Dragon Empire even though it rejected him personally. He'll primarily be a party face, debuffer, with a little control/support. I'm excited to play him and not quite sure how he'll evolve along the way, which is usually the best fun.