PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Mage Spells

Chalkarts
2020-11-19, 10:03 AM
I'm planning ahead for a build.
He'll be a monk with a 2 level dip into wizard.
What spells would you choose. Pretend you never find a spell book. What few spells would you want forever?

Unoriginal
2020-11-19, 10:07 AM
I'm planning ahead for a build.
He'll be a monk with a 2 level dip into wizard.
What spells would you choose. Pretend you never find a spell book. What few spells would you want forever?

Do you have ideas for which subclasses you want? The spell selection I'd suggest for an Abjurer/Drunken Master isn't really the same as one for a Bladesinger/Shadow, a Diviner/Open Hand or a Necromancer/Mercy.

x3n0n
2020-11-19, 10:23 AM
Do you have ideas for which subclasses you want? The spell selection I'd suggest for an Abjurer/Drunken Master isn't really the same as one for a Bladesinger/Shadow, a Diviner/Open Hand or a Necromancer/Mercy.

That said, on a melee/skirmisher that you expect to play well into tier 2, I think shield and absorb elements are the easy picks.
I'm also a sucker for find familiar, and will never turn it down.

I agree that the other choices might well depend on your subclasses. (I'd really like to have a spellbook, and then I'd take all of the good rituals, leaving only one or two non-reaction spells to prep.)

JackPhoenix
2020-11-19, 10:33 AM
Find Familiar is pretty much given, but I propably wouldn't take wizard levels for that when there are easier ways to get it. Shield, to help with monk's mediocre AC, and Absorb Elements for similar defensive reasons. You'll have only few slots, though. I like utility rituals.... Detect Magic, Tenser's Floating Disk, Unseen Servant... but like familiar, I would get them in other ways. If I start at level 1 as a wizard, Sleep. Mage Armor could be used for few levels, especially if I wouldn't be able to start with Wis 16 on a build that MAD. Fog Cloud can be situationally useful. Protection from Evil and Good, depending on campaign. Expeditious Retreat/Longstrider could be used to further enhance monk's mobility.

I'd avoid most spells that require saves or attacks, as my Int propably wouldn't be very high due to MADness and I can't afford to waste my actions and limited slots on spells that won't work.

Unoriginal
2020-11-19, 10:36 AM
That said, on a melee/skirmisher that you expect to play well into tier 2, I think shield and absorb elements are the easy picks.

With only two level worth of spell slots, that means three of those reaction spells per long rest, assuming you're not using those spell slots for anything else. It's not bad but what you can do is pretty limited.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-19, 10:47 AM
With only two level worth of spell slots, that means three of those reaction spells per long rest, assuming you're not using those spell slots for anything else. It's not bad but what you can do is pretty limited.

4 per long rest, though only 3 until a short rest. Wizard has Arcane Recovery

Unoriginal
2020-11-19, 10:54 AM
4 per long rest, though only 3 until a short rest. Wizard has Arcane Recovery

Oh right, I thought they got it later than lvl 2 for some reason. My bad, and thanks for the correction.

In that case it's a bit more worthwhile use of your spell slots.

x3n0n
2020-11-19, 12:09 PM
I had considered doing this myself, but that campaign stopped before I got to it. (And I probably would have ended up taking Druid or Cleric instead.)

I would have taken shield, absorb elements, find familiar, detect magic, unseen servant or Tenser's floating disk, and comprehend languages, leaving 2 more picks. I only had 13 Int, so I would only be able to prep one more spell.

Divination for Portent is always great.
War Wizard seems fine: get a mini-Shield or proto-Diamond-Soul with no spell slot. You're not casting many non-cantrips anyway.
Bladesinging probably isn't worth it unless you have a higher Int than I expect.

Chalkarts
2020-11-19, 01:10 PM
He would be a diviner.
Open Palm style
I was thinking of the ultimate die twisting pugilist. Portent, Lucky, Halfling Monk.
Angus Anklesbane of the Kneebreaker clan.
Think 3'6" Groundskeeper Willy.

Find familiar is, of course, a given. A monk with an everpresent animal companion is just cool.

But, He's a monk first and foremost. I wouldn't even be concerned with his Int, it's just something he picked up.

I figured it'd all be utility stuff. Shield is a good choice.