PDA

View Full Version : How's this look?

SangoProduction
2020-11-19, 10:11 AM
I found a Barbarian Archetype from Spheres of Might, which has this feature. I wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

Muscles of Steel:When wearing no armor and unencumbered, the painted savage adds her Strength bonus (if any) as a natural armor bonus to her AC; this bonus cannot exceed her class level. (A 1st level painted savage with 16 Strength gains only a +1 natural armor bonus to her armor class from this class feature.) This bonus to AC does not stack with other sources of natural armor, but stacks with the armor bonus granted from the Unarmored Training talent. She loses these bonuses when she wears light, medium, or heavy armor, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

1 AC per level is hardly a game breaking feature, especially as there's no way to front load it to temporarily beat enemy scaling. And it does mean not wearing armor, much like a monk.
However, unlike a monk, it's based on an already primary attribute, and it beats out the normal armor he would want to wear by level 5. And with no penalties at all.

It's also explicitly not a feature named AC Bonus, which means it could, theoretically, work with monk-style AC Bonus featurs (and SoM's Unarmored Training talent...as it says).

Doctor Despair
2020-11-19, 10:16 AM
Not super familiar with the system, but do Spheres barbarians still lose casting/concentration-based skills when they rage? I usually try to err away from the "mundane can't have nice things" angle, so, and especially if they can't cast or even use certain specific magic armor while in this class, I wouldn't worry too much

SangoProduction
2020-11-19, 10:24 AM
Not super familiar with the system, but do Spheres barbarians still lose casting/concentration-based skills when they rage? I usually try to err away from the "mundane can't have nice things" angle, so, and especially if they can't cast or even use certain specific magic armor while in this class, I wouldn't worry too much

Nope. Also doesn't have rage at all.

Mystical Tattoos (Sp): A painted savage is recognized by the full-body tattoos that she has inked on her body. While many of the tattoos are purely decorative, others have mystical power to them. At 1st level the painted savage gains the ability to unlock certain tattoos granting herself increased strength, speed, and endurance. As a swift action, the painted savage may grant herself a +2 bonus to either her Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution score for a number of rounds equal to her Constitution modifier, or for 1 minute if the painted savage spends 5 points from her stamina pool when activating the ability.

At 3rd level, and every 3 levels thereafter, the bonus granted by this ability increases by an additional +2. The painted savage may apply all of this bonus to a single physical ability score, or divide it in units of +2 between multiple physical ability scores; regardless of how the painted savage assigns this bonus, she cannot add more than +10 to a given ability score.

At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the painted savage gains one (enhance) talent from the Enhancement sphere as a bonus talent. The painted savage may take (enhance) talents from the Enhancement sphere without possessing the Enhancement base sphere. She may utilize mystic tattoos to use any (enhance) talent she knows as a swift action. When using mystic tattoos in this way, she may only target her own body or tattoos she possesses and their effects last for only a number of rounds equal to the painted savage’s Constitution modifier, or for 1 minute if the painted savage spends 5 points from her stamina pool when activating the ability. The effective caster level of (enhance) talents or abilities used this way is equal to her painted savage level, this does not stack with caster levels from other sources. The save DC for (enhance) talents used this way is 10 + 1/2 her painted savage level + her Constitution modifier.

This replaces rage, mighty rage, greater rage, and tireless rage.

Wiki Note: The ability score booster from Mystical Tattoos is an untyped bonus, so it stacks with other common bonuses like enhancement bonuses. You cannot provide more than one ability score enhancement per target with this ability.