PDA

View Full Version : So... another Cloister thread

Tal9922
2007-11-04, 01:22 PM
Seriously, i searched Google, i searched the forums, and i still couldn't find what Cloister means! Is it a homebrew by rich? because it doesn't appear on any fansite i could see.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-04, 01:27 PM
Clearly, you didn't search the forums, but that's alright. It can be tricky on vBulletin.

Anyway, it's not a core 3.5 spell, and is not in any splatbook I've ever heard of. It's probably a homebrew spell, and probably stored within that headband (SoD Spoilers)
that Xykon took from Dorukan after beating him
as a magical ability rather than being a spell Xykon knows himself. It could also be an Epic spell, although I don't know the rules for putting those into items.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so snarky. My cursory forum search did not show any recent threads about Cloister's origin, however, people have been speculating about its actual effects based on the idea that it's an original spell.

Chronos
2007-11-04, 02:37 PM
It could also be an Epic spell, although I don't know the rules for putting those into items.By the rules, nothing short of an artifact (which can't be made by any mortal) or a single-use stone tablet "scroll" can store an epic spell. Rich might be ignoring that rule, or it might just be a high-level but non-epic spell researched by Dorukan.

Tal9922
2007-11-04, 02:38 PM
Hmm, thanks anyway. And by the way, Xykon says that headband was from a morning Wheaties

Nerdanel
2007-11-04, 03:00 PM
Xykon is obviously lying about the Wheaties.

monty
2007-11-04, 06:04 PM
By the rules, nothing short of an artifact (which can't be made by any mortal) or a single-use stone tablet "scroll" can store an epic spell. Rich might be ignoring that rule, or it might just be a high-level but non-epic spell researched by Dorukan.

Who says the headband's not an artifact? I haven't read SoD, but unless it specifically states there that Dorukan made the headband himself, it might have been something he found while adventuring.

the_tick_rules
2007-11-04, 08:10 PM
his comments and spell name suggest it magically isolates azure city somehow. only further strips will reveal the truth.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-04, 08:15 PM
Xykon is obviously lying about the Wheaties.
Seriously! It's more the kind of thing you'd have to save up your boxtops to get, and I think you'd have to buy a different kind of cereal. Lucky Charms, maybe? :smallsmile:

Spiky
2007-11-04, 10:01 PM
I don't think Xykon would lie. He's far too sweet and loving. And he eats Wheaties!

kpenguin
2007-11-04, 10:25 PM
It's quite obvious that its an ingenious marketing ploy. Buy a box and look for the free artifact at the bottom!