PDA

View Full Version : Shaper of Form Renaissance: Is it worth it?

Wildstag
2020-11-19, 12:32 PM
I was looking at Shaper of Form from the Dragon Compendium, more specifically the Renaissance ability that allows you to change race to a LA +0 option within your creature type with no ability score adjustments taking place. It's pretty rad.

While looking at this, I was trying to think of a Giant with a level adjustment of +0, but am drawing a blank. Can anyone think of a way to use this with the Giant type? It's not necessarily a great option, but it's the one I've been thinking about.

As an example of how it can be used, a Hound Archon (6 HD with a +5 LA) could take a several levels of Wizard (assuming a high enough Intelligence) and qualify for the Shaper of Form by level 12. They could then become a Neraphim, a +0 LA Outsider. Then they'd have a +4 Str, +2 Con/Wis/Cha on the Neraphim chassis and a couple levels of wizard and Shaper of Form. And as I understand it, you'd have to take enough class levels that you could retain your PrC level after the Renaissance, so WizardX/OtherClassY (where X+Y=5).

I can imagine if there was a construct with good stat adjustments and a low enough LA to reach level 6, they could become a Warforged and round out the class levels, but at that point it's just stat cheese. The only +0 LA Dragon I can think of is a Dragonwrought Kobold, but because it's locked off by a feat, you can't use it with Renaissance.

Since only ability score adjustments would survive the change of body, what would the optimal race transitions be? Is it really worth the change?

Doctor Despair
2020-11-19, 12:36 PM
Renaissance: The shaper of form changes race, gender, or general physical appearance. She cannot change type and no ability score adjustments occur as a result of the change. Thus, if the character is weak and becomes an orc, she becomes a weak orc. The shaper of form cannot choose to become a member of a race with a level adjustment.

I suppose, quite technically, a reading could suggest that you cannot become a race with LA +0 -- but rather, you must choose a race with LA -. After all, an adjustment of 0 is still an adjustment. That would presumably open up a lot of completely broken options.

Troacctid
2020-11-19, 12:49 PM
While looking at this, I was trying to think of a Giant with a level adjustment of +0, but am drawing a blank. Can anyone think of a way to use this with the Giant type? It's not necessarily a great option, but it's the one I've been thinking about.
There are none, no. Cheapest is half-giant at +1.

Wildstag
2020-11-19, 01:27 PM
I suppose, quite technically, a reading could suggest that you cannot become a race with LA +0 -- but rather, you must choose a race with LA -. After all, an adjustment of 0 is still an adjustment. That would presumably open up a lot of completely broken options.

I guess I mistyped. What I meant to say was "no level adjustment", completely having forgotten that +0 LA was an actual thing in stat-blocks for some reason.