PDA

View Full Version : Monk and Assassin's

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-04, 01:25 PM
Ok so technicqly a monk could qulify for the pre stated prestige class at level five. so my question is, can the sin's death attack be applied ot his unarmed strike, the question is, is his hand a melee weapon? also, do you think this is a worthy class, with the right stuff a sneak attack could be deadly wiht a monk, though the save agianst poison would be useless. some spells could come in handy though... so I would probably only go for about 3 to 4 level dip. ty in advance.

about the only time i would do this was for a really, really nice fluff backround. I meen a completely open palm killing strike, talk about pressure points.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-04, 02:06 PM
Yes, you can Death Attack with an unarmed strike. In fact, my favorite Monk build uses a level of assassin.

Catch
2007-11-04, 02:12 PM
With Kung-Fu Genius or the Carmendine Monk feat, you can use your Int bonus for Monk abilities. That works well with the Assassin's Int-based spellcasting and death attack.

Chronos
2007-11-04, 04:09 PM
You could also use your Death Attack on the same attack as your Quivering Palm, if you've got enough monk levels. And a Stunning Fist, and if you pick up a level of Paladin of Tyrrany, Smite Good.

And then feel really stupid when you get a natural 1 on your attack roll.

Tren
2007-11-04, 09:28 PM
The better question is can the monk apply poison to his weapons without poisoning himself :P

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-04, 10:08 PM
well, with no cuts, and I suppose that he could find a friendly wizard to cast cutting hands on well yourhands. and he could were gloves, but then they would have to be contact posions.

Catch
2007-11-04, 10:13 PM
well, with no cuts, and I suppose that he could find a friendly wizard to cast cutting hands on well yourhands. and he could were gloves, but then they would have to be contact posions.

Technically, as stated in the DMG, Injury poisons are delivered through a wound. No where does it state that it must be a slashing or piercing attack, so just as you could poison a mace, you could do the same with your fists.

But wear gloves. Just in case.

Quietus
2007-11-04, 10:14 PM
The better question is can the monk apply poison to his weapons without poisoning himself :P

Wow... THAT'S mind-bending. Legally, he could spread a contact poison on his fists without poisoning himself. Somehow.

That said, a Monk11/Assassin9 would have greater flurry, sneak attack, and immunity to poison so you could ignore that sillyness.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-04, 10:44 PM
not to menchen some dead useful spells, like heart ripper, imaculent pursuer, and invisibilty greater.

Person_Man
2007-11-05, 11:08 AM
Or you could go Monk 11/Assassin 9. That would give you full Flurry and Immunity to Poison, so you could apply contact poison to your hands or lips ("Kiss of Death" poison lipstick cliche) without issues.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-05, 11:14 AM
The bad thing is that this makes the monk 5 att. MAD dependent. as if they needed ANOTHER att. to which spend point on.

cupkeyk
2007-11-05, 11:22 AM
Total waste of feats but a halfling monk 7 assassin x can get the substitution level Size Matters Not and along with Ability focus (stunning fist), ascetic rogue You have a base stunning fist dc of +8 against flatfooted larger opponents. Not great, since larger opponents will have great fort saves, but it helps.

The bad thing is that this makes the monk 5 att. MAD dependent. as if they needed ANOTHER att. to which spend point on.

which is why they get Carmendine monk. Dex, Con, Int. 3 abilities.