PDA

View Full Version : Southern Nations

kpenguin
2007-11-04, 01:45 PM
So, the south contains nations beyond simply the pseudo-Japan we've seen. Any guesses at their real-life equivalents?

Rogue 7
2007-11-04, 01:58 PM
Dudes with the elephants were clearly Indians, also looks like the people with the ghost are Chinese, the ones in the caves are tibetan/buddhist temple-people, and the weird head-dressy people might be Thai/Native American/I have no idea.

Arnen
2007-11-04, 02:24 PM
The first nation comes off as Aztec, with all the gold and dark skin and whatnot. The hairstyles and the girl's dress in the second nation definitely come off as more Chinese than Japanese. The third? Probably Tibetan or something. And yeah, the fourth is definitely India.

cavalier973
2007-11-04, 02:27 PM
I, too, thought the first nation was Incan/Aztec, but someone suggested that Thailand was represented, and that made more sense to me.

David Argall
2007-11-04, 02:35 PM
The headdress for the 1st suggests Mezo-American, tho big crowns are popular a lot of places.

The second does look sorta standard oriental, which suggest China.

We have the vapor cloud in #3, which would fit Tibet.

Our elephant doesn't limit us to India, but that does seem the best bet.

Eladrinstar
2007-11-04, 02:38 PM
I don't think the first one was based of anything at all, which is refreshing.

If the Azurites are Japanese, which the presence of samurai, ninja, and pokeballs seem to confirm, these must be Chinese. The man or womans dress looks quite Chinese to me.

The third nation must be based of a Himalayan country like Tibet or Nepal.

The fourth is probably India. It could be Persia, though.

I must say, I love that Rich put a Loxo in the strip.

Calulithrar
2007-11-04, 03:33 PM
Hmm yeah it is interesting that having just finished tower of the elephat (again) I saw this strip. Interesting coincidence

brionl
2007-11-04, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the first country is SE asia i.e. ancient Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam. It fits in with the Southern Gods == Asia theme. Which would also lend support to the 3rd one being Tibet.

Libra
2007-11-05, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. . .

My deduction would be that Yellowland culture is Southeast Asian (Although my first guess was Mesoamerican, but perhaps the Western Continent is a more suitable continent for that sort of culture - I see it as Mesoamerican mixed with Mesopotamian.)

The Reddish Purples do seem Chinese and my deduction is that the Dead(Ancestor Spirits) have a hefty degree of influence and may in fact rule the nation.

For the frosty nation, my idea was that they may be Korean in type, but that's only a guess on, but it generally seems to be Northern Asian.(Although I suspect that it is the furthest south of all the Southern Kingdoms.

The Ganeshii (Last Culture shown, and named for the Elephant-Headed Hindu God Ganesh) are fairly obviously Indian and probably Hindu-influenced.

NikkTheTrick
2007-11-05, 11:10 AM
I am sure the third one is a Tibetian culture. It is quite cold up there and scene looks mountainous.

Baidas Kebante
2007-11-05, 11:25 AM
The first nation comes off as Aztec, with all the gold and dark skin and whatnot. The hairstyles and the girl's dress in the second nation definitely come off as more Chinese than Japanese. The third? Probably Tibetan or something. And yeah, the fourth is definitely India.

The ghost is clearly Japanese. His hairstyle resembles a shogun's bun and the sword is the same style as Miko's katana (not a Chinese broadsword, which would have a wider blade). The woman's hairstyle is non-cultural, as no traditional Asian hairstyle matches it exactly. However, the hair and the costume is reminiscent of Korean-styled colour and cutting. Traditional Chinese clothing, which would have been either Soon or Tang dynasty-inspired, don't use that dark a shade nor that kind of cutting. Traditional Korean clothing, on the other hand has a few examples that look very similar with a Google image search.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-05, 11:54 AM
One should also remember that Azure City was a mish-mash of Japanese and Chinese culture (and some Korean names thrown in), rather than being one or the other. Panel Two Nation is probably the same deal.

Tordek
2007-11-05, 12:32 PM
I was going to do this thread, but its already been done. I agree with the others re: India, Nepal/Tibet. As for the other 2, I'm gonna go with 'Asian mishmash #2' and 'Southeast Asian Generic'. Sadly, there aren't more clues to tell us about Mr. Goldhat, but I will say the face-paint doesn't LOOK like any eastern culture.

I really, really liked it, though.

One Skunk Todd
2007-11-05, 04:00 PM
I see I've mostly been ninj'd, especially by Libra, but these were my thoughts:

I think the "nations" could be:

1. Southeast Asia - Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vienam, the "Jungly" areas.
2. China (I believe the Chinese have used swords of all types, both curved and straight) and note the ghost or ancestor, very important in Chinese culture
3. Pan-Himalaya - Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet (no longer exists, thanks China), Burma (or Myanmar if you prefer), high, cold (note visible breath) mountainous areas (I realize mostly landlocked)
4. India

If you reversed 1 and 2 that would be the order you arrive at each when sailing west from Japan.

SPoD
2007-11-05, 06:35 PM
Nation #1 is obviously the homeland of Lokor the Chronically Insecure (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html).

Baidas Kebante
2007-11-05, 08:40 PM
2. China (I believe the Chinese have used swords of all types, both curved and straight) and note the ghost or ancestor, very important in Chinese culture

Ghost/Ancestors are important in many different cultures, including all of the Asian ones previously mentioned in this topic. In addition, while Chinese have used swords of all types, and the common ones are the dao (the broadsword) and the jin (the straight sword). Neither one resembles what the ghost is wielding.

NikkTheTrick
2007-11-05, 09:19 PM
Keep in mind that cultures in OotS do not have to be exactly like in real world.

Basically,

South = Asia
North = Northern Europe (Pagan Scandinavia, Pagan Germany, Pagan Russia)
East = Southern Europe (Greek, Roman)
West... Hard to tell since their gods don't look like what I know about...

CorranH
2007-11-05, 09:49 PM
West... Hard to tell since their gods don't look like what I know about...

They are from Babylon, an area in what is now Iraq.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-05, 10:00 PM
Mesopotamian would be more precise...the same pantheon was worshipped by a large number of interconnected city-states and Empires. But yeah, Tiamat, Enki, Marduk, all those guys are from there.

Emanick
2007-11-05, 11:31 PM
Has anyone considered that #3 looks rather like the Taj Mahal (sp.?)? I doubt Hinjo, Elan and whoever else would go all the way up into the mountains to get an army - there must be much closer and climate-appropriate civilizations, besides the other two.
So actually, it might not be Tibet at all, but simply Thailand, India, or wherever the Taj Mahal is. :smallwink:

Porthos
2007-11-05, 11:40 PM
So actually, it might not be Tibet at all, but simply Thailand, India, or wherever the Taj Mahal is. :smallwink:

Do you want to be the one who tells him, or shall I? :smalltongue:

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-05, 11:51 PM
I don't think the first one was based of anything at all, which is refreshing.

If the Azurites are Japanese, which the presence of samurai, ninja, and pokeballs seem to confirm

Don't forget their names. Daigo, Kato, Shojo, Miko, and all of their last names are unmistakably Japanese

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-05, 11:52 PM
Do you want to be the one who tells him, or shall I? :smalltongue:

What? That the Taj Mahal maynot (as it probably not) exist in this world since it's a fantasy and that all of these southern kingdoms have their culture borrowed from ones that exist here on earth? Be my guest : p

Porthos
2007-11-05, 11:56 PM
What? That the Taj Mahal maynot (as it probably not) exist in this world since it's a fantasy and that all of these southern kingdoms have their culture borrowed from ones that exist here on earth? Be my guest : p

Wikipedia is your friend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal).

i.e. check the country where the Taj Mahal is located. :smalltongue:

Emanick
2007-11-06, 12:09 AM
Wikipedia is your friend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal).

i.e. check the country where the Taj Mahal is located. :smalltongue:

Ah, now I see. Thank you.
However, I don't see why The Giant couldn't have borrowed that particular architecture - thus, I don't see why it couldn't be in a building. :smalltongue: (The stairs are certainly artificial and white, in any case.)
It's a faint possibility, but a possibility nonetheless. :smallwink:

SPoD
2007-11-06, 12:11 AM
Don't forget their names. Daigo, Kato, Shojo, Miko, and all of their last names are unmistakably Japanese

And O-Chul, Sangwaan, Lien, Soon Kim, and Mijung Kim are unmistakably NOT Japanese.

Azure City is a mish-mash of Asian cultures, since it features Chinese take-out, junks, the Chinese zodiac, and probably a few other elements I'm forgetting. Any of the cultures shown in #501 could have similar juxtapositions.

NikkTheTrick
2007-11-06, 12:16 AM
Mesopotamian would be more precise...the same pantheon was worshipped by a large number of interconnected city-states and Empires. But yeah, Tiamat, Enki, Marduk, all those guys are from there.
Ah! Thanks for clarification. My education was a bit too eurocentric it seems:smallredface:

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-06, 12:17 AM
And O-Chul, Sangwaan, Lien, Soon Kim, and Mijung Kim are unmistakably NOT Japanese.

Azure City is a mish-mash of Asian cultures, since it features Chinese take-out, junks, the Chinese zodiac, and probably a few other elements I'm forgetting. Any of the cultures shown in #501 could have similar juxtapositions.

Hmm I totally forgot about those : p I concede defeat : p

Max_Sinister
2007-11-06, 03:16 AM

Well, Japanese culture borrowed a lot from the Chinese.

About the non-Japanese names: Until now, all those belong to high-level characters. Maybe they simply immigrated, since Azure City seems to be the strongest nation in the south (until Xykon came, that is).

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-06, 09:07 AM
Well, Japanese culture borrowed a lot from the Chinese.

About the non-Japanese names: Until now, all those belong to high-level characters. Maybe they simply immigrated, since Azure City seems to be the strongest nation in the south (until Xykon came, that is).

Hmmm it's possible, but if Rich borrows enough from Japan, and includes their xenophobic nature, I'm pretty sure they're not going to place immigrants in positions of power : p and considering that Soon Kim was one leader of AC, I'm much more inclined to agree with SPoD

WalkingTarget
2007-11-06, 09:17 AM
Hmmm it's possible, but if Rich borrows enough from Japan, and includes their xenophobic nature, I'm pretty sure they're not going to place immigrants in positions of power : p and considering that Soon Kim was one leader of AC, I'm much more inclined to agree with SPoD

I agree on the mishmash culture idea, but this just made me think of the Hong, Tang, Fang, Sung, and McSweeney families from the Discworld (the latter being a very old, established family).