PDA

View Full Version : How to build rune knight? (Archer? Grappler? Something else?)

Rfkannen
2020-11-19, 08:04 PM
Rune knight is an interesting subclass to me because you can build it very differently depending on what you want.

You could really focus on the runes and make a stealthy and charismatic skillful dex based archer. Take stuff like the cloud rune and storm rune which increase utility, and get some good ranged control with the fire rune. However it doesn't make much use out of being able to change your size.

On the other hand you could focus on the growing parts of the subclass and take the unarmed fighting style, and make a character who can grapple the tarrasque! This is really cool and takes advantage of the growing, but focusing on steangth makes a lot of runes less interesting, and being unarmored locks you out of the fire rune.

I am not sure how those two paths compare, or if there is a third path I have not considered.

What do you think? What do you is the most fun way to build a rune knight?

stoutstien
2020-11-19, 08:55 PM
Giants might got an interesting change with the damage getting reduced to once a turn but charges moved up to match proficiency bonus.

In my eyes I see the RK as a tough off tank/switch hitter with enough utility to not feel like a simple beat stick. Cloud/fire/stone gives CC or damage redirect (this is my favorite) and frost is good for the grapple boost even with it not adding to attack/damage now.

Lv 7 unlocks storm and hill. Storm is off tank mecca. A whole encounter of dis/adv manipulation with your reaction.

Rune shield is worded in a particular way. You use it after an attack hits so in a way you can cancel advantage after the fact. this is now prof based as well.

Grapple, ranged, or classic weapon choice doesn't really matter. Of course getting to be huge at 17 now is just asking for a demon lord in a head lock.

Mitchellnotes
2020-11-19, 09:32 PM
I was just thinking about this today! One thing that appeals to me is the built in advantage with giant's growth and growing in size. I'd get GWM and later the new feat to get expertise in athletics later. With multi-attack, shove prone then attack with advantage with GWM. I'd also work to max str and con, or get polearm master. Later with polearm master and the 18th level huge growth and extra reach, it creates a large area of denial or the ability to glex reactions. I think polearm mastery clogs reactions and bonus actions more, but gwm is a great option.

I honestly can't think of any great multiclasses... partially because the abilities are so great. The level 15 ability is also huge.

stoutstien
2020-11-19, 09:42 PM
RK really is action heavy already across the board. For the crunch time ba is swamped as well as the reaction so if I was going to grab a weapon feat one of the new ones slasher/crusher/ piercer would be a safe bet.

Darthnazrael
2020-11-20, 02:37 AM
I've been thinking they're a natural fit for Gunner/Sharpshooter/Piercer. None of those feats ask extra actions from you, and as mentioned, RK is action-hungry. And Rune Knights have several ways to generate attacked advantage for their 2nd attack (Fire Rune's Restrained, Stone Rune's Incapacitate, and Storm Rune's Reaction), so you can usually line at least one viable -5/+10 shot per turn even on high-AC enemies. Stone Rune in particular guarantees you advantage on all your attacks against that target if it lands.

Piercer seems like a natural fit with Gunner, since Piercer clearly wants as big a die as you can get, and damage dice come no bigger than the Musket's d12.

Sharpshooter, besides the obvious -5/+10, also helps out with your Musket's range of 40/120, to allow you to hit reliably from Eldritch Blast range.

Snowbluff
2020-11-20, 02:51 AM
Finally, a kobold can be large enough to use GWM and combine it with Pack Tactics!

cutlery
2020-11-20, 10:14 AM
RK, skill expert athletics, huge.

Doesn’t even require spell assistance to grapple gargantuan things, shove them prone, and stab the hell out of them.

I imagine them sort of like Drax, only with more wrestling.

Naanomi
2020-11-20, 10:39 AM
I'd go with a grappler, but I like the concept of a grappler anyways. It is a shame the 18th level Huge Size bonus makes it impossible to pick up Battlerager 3 for more grapple damage (not that it would be optimal, but a shame it isn't an option)

Torpin
2020-11-20, 11:03 AM
. The level 15 ability is also huge.
no its the 18th level ability, the fiftheen is getting to use them twice lol

Master O'Laughs
2020-11-20, 11:27 AM
So, I am thinking of making a Grey Dwarf (Duegar) Rune Knight so at lvl 18 (if ever reached), I can go gargantuan! Then I could grapple colossal creatures!!!

Naanomi
2020-11-20, 11:53 AM
So, I am thinking of making a Grey Dwarf (Duegar) Rune Knight so at lvl 18 (if ever reached), I can go gargantuan! Then I could grapple colossal creatures!!!
I... don't think 5e has a 'colossal' size category, it stops at Gargantuan as far as I can tell. A level 18 Rune Knight can grapple anything. Being Gargantuan is still funny.

Master O'Laughs
2020-11-20, 12:38 PM
I... don't think 5e has a 'colossal' size category, it stops at Gargantuan as far as I can tell. A level 18 Rune Knight can grapple anything. Being Gargantuan is still funny.

Even better!

Daracaex
2020-11-20, 12:49 PM

Gargantuan is the highest official category, but includes anything larger than 4x4 as well. For example, the Monster Manual says the Roc has a 200-ft wingspan.

Naanomi
2020-11-20, 01:52 PM
Gargantuan is the highest official category, but includes anything larger than 4x4 as well. For example, the Monster Manual says the Roc has a 200-ft wingspan.
Wrestle that Roc, put it in a headlock! Suplex that Astral Dreadnought into submission! Leglock the Elder Tempest until it taps out! That Sky Leviathan looks like it could use a spinning piledriver!