PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A does telepathy help you with language-dependent spells?

newguydude1
2020-11-19, 10:01 PM
trying to cast a language-dependent spell on a deaf creature.

"A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependant spell says the spell fails."

Crake
2020-11-19, 10:52 PM
I've always played it as yes, since succubi have both telepathy, and a suggestion SLA, I've always imagined them as being able to telepathy suggestions to their victims to make them believe that they thought those thoughts themselves, rather than speaking it and merely making it sound like a good idea.

Also, it seems like the most appropriate way to use as SLA with no verbal component.

newguydude1
2020-11-20, 01:24 AM
I've always played it as yes, since succubi have both telepathy, and a suggestion SLA, I've always imagined them as being able to telepathy suggestions to their victims to make them believe that they thought those thoughts themselves, rather than speaking it and merely making it sound like a good idea.

Also, it seems like the most appropriate way to use as SLA with no verbal component.

ok that makes sense. thanks.

Venger
2020-11-20, 02:27 AM
Building on what Crake said, telepathy explicitly works on any creature who has a language, even if the two of you do not share a language, because you're transmitting your thoughts to their mind before translating it into language first. Similar to his suggestions about succubi, I enjoy using suggestion with mindbenders and similar for this reason to stealthfully win over npcs.