PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew potions crafting using herbalists kit for 5e d&d

Elvenfox
2020-11-19, 10:11 PM
Open to constructive criticism

Based on spell list available for a lvl 3+ character you have an assortment of options of potions you can create.

In the dmg is a list of potions, match those to any spells for your character. You can only craft potions of spells you can cast. Break them into groups based on rarity.

Ex: for a druid i found 6 potions of common and uncommon that are accessible as spells at 3rd level or lower, 2 additional potions accessible at 6th level or lower, and 2 more spells accessible at 11th level or lower.

Each potion is assigned a number, for this druid it's 1-10 (more or less depending on class spell lists and comparable potions) this druid would roll a d6 at level 3, roll a d8 at 6th lvl, and roll a d10 at 11th to see what ingredients are available in the area that this druid can look for.

The result of the die corresponds to a potion. Ingredients for spells higher than your current level are unable to be foraged for.

Dc12 for common
Dc15 uncomm
Dc18 rare
Dc20 very rare
To see if you actually find the ingredients

Have to collect: (easy to tally in notes based on the first roll to see what is available to forage for)

5 for common
10 for uncomm
15 for rare
20 for very rare

to replace gold cost if your foraging or you can just pay the gold cost and buy enough to craft if it is a potion available to you at your current lvl
25gp common
100gp uncomm
1000gp rare
10000 very rare

Then you have to spend the time to use the ingredients to create the potion

Common: 1 day
Uncomm: 1 workweek
Rare: 3 workweeks
Very rare: 4 workweeks

Simplifies it to 2 rolls, what was i looking for, and did i find it, and keeping track of how many successes you had. The rest is all downtime handwaving not bogging down the rest of the party with crafting and foraging, or figuring out what specific ingredients are needed.

Foraging can be done while traveling, just keeping an eye out for ingredients.