PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Party Ideas

Naanomi
2020-11-19, 11:59 PM
Most normal DnD parties I’ve played with are… thematic messes, everyone their own wild thing. However… there are enough subclasses and options out there that you can make a really cohesive 4-5 man groups, either conceptually or mechanically. Here are a few; any other ideas?

Peacemakers:
Redemption Paladin, Peace Cleric, Mercy Monk, Eloquence Bard

Fire Team:
Desert Storm Herald, Wildfire Druid, 4-Elements Monk (Dragon Ascendant?), Red Dragon Sorcerer (Pyromancer?)

Living Shadows:
Shadow Monk, Gloomstalker, Twilight Cleric, Shadow Sorcerer

I am the Law:
Oath of the Crown, Order Cleric, Clockwork Sorcerer, Inquisitive Rogue

Craftsman’s Guild:
Battlesmith, Creation Bard, Forge Cleric, Rune Smith

Blademasters:
Battle Master, Swords Bard, Kensei, Swashbuckler, Hexblade

Godsquad:
Zealot, Cleric (any), Divine Soul, Monster Slayer (fiend focused)

Undead Slayers:
Devotion Paladin, Monster Slayer (undead focused), Grave Cleric, Undying Warlock, Necromancer

Feyfriends:
Watchers Paladin, Archfey Warlock, Fey Wanderer, Shepard Druid

Houster
2020-11-20, 02:08 PM
Doombringers:
Death cleric, Long death monk, necromancer, oathbreaker paladin, undying warlock

Naanomi
2020-11-20, 02:11 PM
Doombringers:
Death cleric, Long death monk, necromancer, oathbreaker paladin, undying warlock
Good one... may replace the Oathbreaker with a Phantom Rogue though?

RogueJK
2020-11-20, 02:57 PM
I've played a few campaigns in 3E and 5E that revolved around everyone being part of the same organization, like the Thieve's Guild or a Mage's College.

Now, that doesn't mean everyone has to be a Rogue, or a Wizard, they just have to be tied to that concept. So, for example, you'd end up with stuff like a party of Thieves' Guild members constituting a:
"Thug/Dirty Fighter" Battlemaster
"Con Artist" Illusion Wizard
"Burglar" Thief Rogue
"Mob Doctor" Trickery or Life Cleric
"Shadowy Gunslinger" Gloomstalker Ranger with Hand Crossbows

By laying out something like that in a session 0, it's a good way to make a more cohesive team/theme, and have players work together to come up with other ties to each other, so it's not the same old "random group of adventurers with wildly different backstories who ran into each other at a tavern and decided to become lifelong friends on the spot just to move the campaign along".