PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ideas for building a Twilight Cleric?

DarkMoon250
2020-11-20, 12:23 AM
With my first ever game coming up and the Twilight Domain really sticking out to me in regards to flavor and ability to provide support (especially in the dark), I'm interested in figuring out what might be some of the more optimal ways to build it.

In regards to race, I've been allowed by my DM to use a homebrewed Half-Elf of Shadar-kai heritage with the Blessing of the Raven Queen trait. From this point, I'm not sure whether I should invest in Str to make the best use of the heavy armor and martial weapon proficiencies the subclass grants me, which would also make my divine strikes stronger, or if I should take a more Dex-based path in order to utilize stealthy spells like Grt Invisibility and Mislead more effectively and help me out with the greater number of dex saving throws (though I'd only be able to go up to breastplate medium armor if I didn't want disadvantage on my stealth saves).

There's also the factor of Twilight Shroud, which will give me and my allies half-cover for a while. Since this gives me 2 more AC, combined with a shield and full plate, I could have a near-constant 22 AC going on, with rejuvenating temp HP to boot (I also just now realize that Blessing of the Raven Queen might be pointless with all these defensive boosts), but I still feel like I might miss out on good dex saves and stealth. What are your opinions?

Also, as a noob, I just want to ask: I envisioned this character with an amulet, being a bit more mystically-oriented, but if I plan on carrying a shield, would it be better to just have the painted emblem instead?

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-20, 12:37 AM
With my first ever game coming up and the Twilight Domain Variant Human, Reslient (Constitution) feat.
There ya go.

Snowbluff
2020-11-20, 12:42 AM
Amulets are super cool. Painting a shield usually is the way to go since it does save a hand, however.

The general martial cleric options apply. Getting Booming Blade and/or Green Flame Blade, be it via a feat or a Half High Elf or High Elf, would be quite good. Combine with Spiritual Weapon or Spirit Guardians you can provide good damage up close while warding your teammates. However, if you're not interested in thwacking people, you can swap your Divine Strikes for Blessed Strikes to do a cantrip damage build instead of weaponry, for a more mystical feel.

Actually taking advantage of dexterity would be hard either way. Hiding still takes an action while you use Greater Invisibility or Mislead, AFAICT.

As an alternative to the Blessing of the Raven Queen, might I suggest the Mark of Passage human refluffed as a half Shadar Kai? They get Misty Step and the ability to add it to their spell list. You would lose out on the damage reduction, but you would get to teleport around more often, simulating the effect of the Blessing.

DarkMoon250
2020-11-20, 12:42 AM
Variant Human, Reslient (Constitution) feat.
There ya go.

We're actually all being allowed to start with one feat, and I've already decided on Resilient.

MrCharlie
2020-11-20, 12:58 AM
With my first ever game coming up and the Twilight Domain really sticking out to me in regards to flavor and ability to provide support (especially in the dark), I'm interested in figuring out what might be some of the more optimal ways to build it.

In regards to race, I've been allowed by my DM to use a homebrewed Half-Elf of Shadar-kai heritage with the Blessing of the Raven Queen trait. From this point, I'm not sure whether I should invest in Str to make the best use of the heavy armor and martial weapon proficiencies the subclass grants me, which would also make my divine strikes stronger, or if I should take a more Dex-based path in order to utilize stealthy spells like Grt Invisibility and Mislead more effectively and help me out with the greater number of dex saving throws (though I'd only be able to go up to breastplate medium armor if I didn't want disadvantage on my stealth saves).

There's also the factor of Twilight Shroud, which will give me and my allies half-cover for a while. Since this gives me 2 more AC, combined with a shield and full plate, I could have a near-constant 22 AC going on, with rejuvenating temp HP to boot (I also just now realize that Blessing of the Raven Queen might be pointless with all these defensive boosts), but I still feel like I might miss out on good dex saves and stealth. What are your opinions?

Also, as a noob, I just want to ask: I envisioned this character with an amulet, being a bit more mystically-oriented, but if I plan on carrying a shield, would it be better to just have the painted emblem instead?
So I'd go with heavy armor and use the various DEX related abilities on other people-also, greater invisibility isn't really used for stealth, it's used to grant advantage on attacks, disadvantage to hit you, and occasionally hide if that's needed. Martials usually use it better than the casters. So you don't need DEX to make use of greater invisibility. Mislead is the kind of spell where you don't technically need to be in the same room-in fact, when used strictly RAW you can't hide when you make it, and it's an action to move it, so it's actually vey inefficient to use the spell to hide in combat. It's actually kinduve crippled by RAW in that way-but it's very useful to send it scouting or to confuse enemies if you can prep for combat, rather than as an escape mechanism.

DarkMoon250
2020-11-20, 01:03 AM
Amulets are super cool. Painting a shield usually is the way to go since it does save a hand, however.

As an alternative to the Blessing of the Raven Queen, might I suggest the Mark of Passage human refluffed as a half Shadar Kai? They get Misty Step and the ability to add it to their spell list. You would lose out on the damage reduction, but you would get to teleport around more often, simulating the effect of the Blessing.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll look more into this dragonmark. At the same time, find myself wondering if I can recreate a shadowborn human or shade from stuff I've read from earlier editions using Tasha's custom lineage and the Shadow-touched feat. Not sure how good it would be, though.

RogueJK
2020-11-20, 11:19 AM
and help me out with the greater number of dex saving throws

Something to keep in mind with DEX saves is that, unlike most of the other saves, failing a DEX save most often only results in taking damage.

Damage is easier to absorb/mitigate/fix than some of the nastier effects of, say, a failed WIS save or a failed CON save. So boosting DEX saves can often be a less critical factor.

jaappleton
2020-11-20, 11:40 AM
I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll look more into this dragonmark. At the same time, find myself wondering if I can recreate a shadowborn human or shade from stuff I've read from earlier editions using Tasha's custom lineage and the Shadow-touched feat. Not sure how good it would be, though.

I came in to suggest Mark of Passage for Twilight Cleric as well.

I do believe that using Tasha's, you can put the +2 Dex and +1 Any from Mark of Passage into any stats now. So +2 Wis and +1 Con, if you'd like to utilize that heavy armor.

Mark of Passage's spell list is amazingly useful to help round out a Cleric. Mobility is something they typically lack. With Misty Step in your back pocket, now you have extra movement even for when you aren't in dim light or darkness.

Scarytincan
2020-11-20, 11:55 AM
Nothing wrong with having both an amulet and having it on the shield!

Snowbluff
2020-11-20, 05:34 PM

I came in to suggest Mark of Passage for Twilight Cleric as well.

I do believe that using Tasha's, you can put the +2 Dex and +1 Any from Mark of Passage into any stats now. So +2 Wis and +1 Con, if you'd like to utilize that heavy armor.

Mark of Passage's spell list is amazingly useful to help round out a Cleric. Mobility is something they typically lack. With Misty Step in your back pocket, now you have extra movement even for when you aren't in dim light or darkness.

Sir Appleton is reading my mind. Shadowborn doesn't work nearly as well, IMO. It only gives a couple of lower level spells, and one of them, Invisbility, is kinda redundant with the Twlight Cleric List.

Sepaulchre
2020-11-20, 06:58 PM
Mark of the Passage seems pretty good, although I have wonder if it edges out a Vhuman/Custom lineage with Fey-touched.